Thread: cast net size & type Q's

cast net size & type Q's

just about to buy a cast net and was wondering about sizes and types,

what type for gathering bait and prawns in SEQ, and what size does everybody use? and why.

Re: cast net size & type Q's

i use 12ft nets cause of the bigger spread and heavier leads are great for getting mullet. depends mainly wat u want to use the net for if for prawns go a top pocket net, if for catching mullet and the likes try and get the heaviest net u can find otherwise the mullet just swim straight underneath the net. if u are just starting tho a 12ft drop my be a bit big for u to learn on.

i use a 12ft cast net for same reason as above , way bigger spread, even if you dont get it open fully will still be more than what you will get with a smaller net. Skutso is right though it can be tricky to throw if your not sure what your doing

me and my mate when out bait collecting few weeks back.. me with my 8ft net and him with his 14ft net....

the spread difference was just amazing. both of us getting max spread, but his was opening up atleast twice as big as mine.. end result... twice as much bait.

go as big as you can manager.. bigger is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Local_Guy View Post
    me and my mate when out bait collecting few weeks back.. me with my 8ft net and him with his 14ft net....

the spread difference was just amazing. both of us getting max spread, but his was opening up atleast twice as big as mine.. end result... twice as much bait.

thats what i figure, might as well learn on big one so then i can always use it.

I got a 10ft top pocket because i use it for prawns and it had the extra weight and it is great for using off the jetties,pontoons and boats for bait and prawns and flatties caught this off the kingfisher jetty whilest cast netting hering
    he ripped a hole the size of his head in my net and it was happly released

cheers BK

bar raider, i have a 12 ft drop mono drawstring, sorry boys but better then a top pocket 4 prawing. plus no pockets taking up time getting bait out & having healthy bait as a result,just a couple of shakes & the bait is all out. i was getting 2-3 casts 2 my mates 1 cast, nothing wrong with top pockets i have 1 as well & a multi mono plan net.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Quote Originally Posted by Local_Guy View Post

queensland regulations are 3.7 meter diameter from the swivel to your bomm max. So your 14ft net is hmmm illegal.
    Get a 12ft net with a mesh no bigger than 28mm and you should be legal.

As for spread, The shop nets are hmmmm Cheapies, Get a custom made one, they aways open better and bigger.

always consult your rules,

where do you get custom made ones in SEQ? prefer goldy or southside

Quote Originally Posted by bar raider View Post
    where do you get custom made ones in SEQ? prefer goldy or southside
    G'day

Search this site for contact details for bob the net maker, a redland bay local.

Dave

sorry guys still eating the 14 kg from yesterday draw string best, own several of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Search this site for contact details for bob the net maker, a redland bay local.

Dave
    Hey Dave,
    I have to agree with you. I got a net from Bob last season but i barely used it, i have used it twice this season and i have smashed the prawns on both occasions. Bob's nets or other custom nets are the only way to go, much bigger and better then draw string nets.
    Marty.

Can someone advise the best method, with instructions, on throwing a net. I have tried a few methods shown on the internet but cannot seem to get it right (it is an 8ft draw net).