Thread: Awoonga and Monduran for the Mere Mortals

Awoonga and Monduran for the Mere Mortals

Having just read the great Monduran catches from the last few days I thought I better post on the results the rest of us mere mortals get.

Mate pulled his tinny up from Sydney for his second crack at Awoonga. We fished it last November and both got metre fish (with some local help) so we figured our chances were pretty good. Arrived mid-afternoon Sunday and straight onto the water. Boy has that place changed. All our pre-conceived ideas of fishing weed beds went out the window. But we stuck with the depths we wanted and the structure we liked. Fished till early evening for 1 catty.

We had been advised to let the water warm a bit each day so we were back the next day about 0900. We fished shallow, we fished deep, we fished structure, we fished no structure, we fished the backs of bays, we fished the fronts of bays, we changed lures again and again. Nothing - zilch - nada. Met up with Johny Mitchell at the ramp who agreed that fishing was very tough. He had 2 for the day. We didn't hear of any other catches from all the fishers where we were staying.

Johny mentioned that it would be worse the next day when the SE wind kicked in. He was right. We repeated all the things from the previous day for zilch. And again - not a fish caught by anyone else. Nice to meet you Johny and thanks for all the ideas.

Wednesday we went and fished the Boyne salt for a break and got some nice bream and estuary cod.

Today we dropped into Monduran on the way home. Didn't have a lot of time so we didn't stray to far from the ramp. Got bugger all - ho hum.

So theres a more sobering report for the rest of the fishos. Still - great weather and good company and nice to have a few days straight fishing. Mate doesn't go home till Sunday/Monday so probably a few more days still to come. Think I need a holiday.

Re: Awoonga and Monduran for the Mere Mortals

gunna, bugger mate, bad luck, good report though, thanks, just confirms that its not all gravy up there.

cheers
    brian

Gunna, Mate your no 'mere mortal' you did your best being new to a dam....its not easy. dont let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Its a shame you didnt have more time to experiment further up the dam at Monduran. You may have had more luck....with more time.

Dont sell youself short mate!!! these things happen. Most of the blokes that post the ''great session' reports have been here many many many times (myself included) we have all had MANY MANY MANY doghnuts too!!!!!

If Johny Mitchell say its a bit quiet.....then it is. Its not your fault!!

Next time you will have something to aim for!!!!

cheers steve

Well said Steve!

Gunna its a hard game for us traveling fishoes ........ but at least your casting & trying
    your next trip can just as easily turn to gold!

Stick with it !

Nagg

Navi doesn't call me doughnut boy for nothing, Gunna.
    They are they days when you think nothing can go right, but tomorrows another day, and the buggers dont starve em selves. Thats what iv'e always got in my mind, at some time somewhere the barra have to chew, cold wind what ever
    Sometimes theres just not enough time to be out on the water to catch them.
    Thanks for the report, keep it up, next time you will brain em!!!
    Ben

Thanks fellas. We expected it would be hard this time of year and were right. I have fished Awoonga twice before and got fish both times. Same for Monduran - fished twice before and got fish. It jut wasn't to be this time. Still - its always great to be up there.
    Last edited by gunna; 02-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Hi Gunna thanks for the dead honest report mate.

Great to see you didn't take the social camping side of your trip for granted...Sounds like you had fun anyway even though the fishing was tough. Nice to hear you got a bit of boat ramp help too mate.

All the best on future trips and make sure you post them up here however they turn out.

Cheers Lyndon & kel.