Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Its time to rethink the metery!

Re: Its time to rethink the metery!

ThankPNG,

thats great info. I didnt realise that you could get a record with out th killing!! Very good to see. Thanks for that mate.

Matt, thats a great record on light gear. hope it stand for you.

cheers Steve.

No worries cobber,
    I'll be off-site for a day or two and away from the Net, but if I had time I'd like to add some more info about how to lodge IGFA record claims etc. For a start you need to join the IGFA which I did about a month ago, online for US$40. They send you couple of member stickers and a decent size mag with loads of info, plus of course you get a user ID to access the website.

You can download & print the application forms needed to apply for a record and there's loads of support material about the do's and the don'ts. There's a processing fee to lodge a record claim plus if you catch a good size fish that you're proud of and you know it won't break a record, you can send in the stats and have an official IGFA Catch Certificate made up to celebrate the achievement (great to hang on the wall above the beer fridge).

The IGFA have also become more environmentally conscious and fully support habitat preservation and catch & release. Good to see that the organisation is modernising along with the times.

In a day or two I'd like to add some more specific info either in this thread or maybe start another. Is there anything you'd like to find out that might be on the IGFA site?

I reckon I might be on the prowl for a record later this year for barra or more likely black bass as I google earthed the remote Fly River area we'll be fishing and located some previously 'untried & unfished' creeks & lagoons that we'll be able to access. I know these places are unfished as I've been to the area five times before with the fishing club I'm in, and I know the stretches they fish (and where they've never been to yet).

I'm there for a longer stint this time (8 days instead of the usual 4) so will have time up my sleeve to venture further afield into some previously untouched waters. Should be a blast...
    Last edited by PNG1M; 14-05-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo...

Hey guys,
    Check this out...

The All Tackle World Record for Nile Perch is 104.32kg (even though I did see a photo in a Kampala bar, of a 113kg Nile Perch being held up by a fork lift).

I lived in Uganda for 4 years a while back and fished for Nile Perch - mostly by trolling - in Lake Victoria. They are freshwater and look very similar to a barra. They are generally known as a 'cousin' to the barramundi, but they don't taste as good. The Nile Perch flesh is not as firm and is more bland with smaller flakes & it tends to fall apart more easily on the barby. You can buy the fillets at Coles so see for yourself (not bad though as a deep freezer standby - 'specially after a few beers - just roll 'em in some seasoned flour & bob's your uncle) Back to the thread......

Given the prolific growth rates of the impoundment barra I wonder what their maximum growth size would be...with plenty of food and no predators...and not having to swim up river & down river for spawning...and without pressure of commercial netting!? Hmmm....talk about being on a good paddock!

I wonder what the stats are for the average growth rate of a barra. And what is the average barra life span? I know quite a bit of research has been done on wild barra and for barra 'farming'. But I'm not sure how the research stands for impoundment barra. It'd be interesting to see what the forecast 'potential maximum' size would or could be! See below for the IGFA WR Nile Perch:

Species: Perch, Nile
    Scientific Name: Lates niloticus
    Line Class: All-Tackle
    Fish Weight: 230 lbs. 0 oz. - 104.32 kgs
    Angler: William Toth
    Date: 12/20/2000
    AT Approved
    Last edited by PNG1M; 13-05-2008 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo...

Thanks for the info PNG, I'm sure with the way Awoonga and Monduran are going, that all tackle record might start looking shakey in the next year or two. Not to mention Tinaroo as well.

Harro,
    Yep, pretty memorable trip that one, catching that fish and meeting Yourself, Jack, Laurie, and John & Jennifer Mondora. Tinaroo was fishing very well at that time.

Its quite amazing to see how the various stocked impoundments have boomed and then buckled under fishing pressure and low water levels. Then the fishing seems to level out to a degree depending on water levels.

Accolades to Alf Hogan, and everyone else involved in stocking, without them we wouldn't be having a discussion about wild v impoundment, 1m v 1.2m, Steptoe v Harro - Just joking Harro

I also remember that footage of you battling that black bass on fly that Steve mentioned. It was like hand to hand combat. Definitely some of the most memorable fishing footage IMHO.

Cheers,

Matt

I would look into IGFA rules before we all become excited as you used to have a fish weighed on registerd scales and on land, plus clear photos to idenify it, the last so many metres of line including leader so it could be tested etc,etc

Cheers Foxie
    Always Think Like A Fish - No Matter How Weird It Gets

Hey Foxie I always thought that too look at BR65's fish at 118cm it was as fat at a house and a few of the 120cm fish being caught pretty hard to say what weighed more?

PNG mate you info is first rate but do you practice catch and release or take one or two home?

Those Nile perch are a massive things it looks a amazing lake that nasser with the ancient ruins along side and the size of it wow.

Nath

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    I would look into IGFA rules before we all become excited as you used to have a fish weighed on registerd scales and on land, plus clear photos to idenify it, the last so many metres of line including leader so it could be tested etc,etc

Cheers Foxie
    I think that would still be the case ........ Most certainly you need to be using pre test line ( unless it was the all tackle record) ...... During my days in ANSA .. you used pre test monos ( for line class records)
    Certified scales are a must ..... You couldn't just take a photo on a brag mat & submit it
    I know it takes time to ratify a world record ( after they check everything ... line , leader length .. incl double etc etc)

Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 14-05-2008 at 07:28 PM.

1400 plus views, 60 plus replies, good thread Ben

Quick comments re Nile Perch.

Commercial fishing is sending averages plummeting.
    Larry Dahlberg of Dahlberg Diver and American Fishing Show fame got a 200 pounder in Lake Nasser last time I was over. Our own 'his worship' Col Roberts got one nearly 180lbs on a Scorpion. Hundred pounders were reasonable common and we barely hooked anything under fifty. Tim Bailey was the only guide operator then on the 400 mile long lake - that's where the Skeeters would be handy. Now there are over 20, plus mile after mile of long lines baited with tilapia and set over spawning grounds. A forty pounder is a real good fish thesedays. Is that a stock crash, or what?

Lake Victoria isn't much better. A number of countries share the world's biggest freshwater lake and are hammering the NP resource with internationally funded commercial operations like pair trawling are going full bore. The baitfish bio mass has collapsed and the (introduced there) Nile perch are cannibalising and stunting. And just think, we almost got them. And would have, but for the southern states giving the importaton a thumbs down. It's counter productive the mention those who were all for the introduction. Suffice to say it didn't and thanks to barra breeding technology being imported from Thailand and tweaked to local conditions by the likes of McKinnon, Garrett and Hogan etc., we've gone down a more sustainable track.

The one place that may still be worth fishing is lake Turkana, in Kenya. Called the Jade Sea with good reason it's a bastard of a place that's both out of the way and dangerous. Alan...can't think of the rest... from South Oz did a yarn on the place years ago in Fishing World. It was also background location for the movie Constant Gardener.

Our lake barra are, pound for pound, stronger, and may soon challange the NP as the world's biggest lake fish that anglers have a chance of catching. Were Lake Argyle stocked...it can hold over 30 Awoonga's...it'd rate as the best lake of all
    (and one where you're not going to end up on the wrong side of a fartwa or in a cooking pot). Over there, experiments have been made with the diets of caged barra to try and eliminate the weedy taste. Forktail catfish grow to 30kgs and are sold in Perth as silver cobbler. Those interests may not be in favour of any fish stocking, nor, it seems, anyone else in WA.
    Last edited by rod harrison; 15-05-2008 at 05:14 AM.

Our lake barra are, pound for pound, stronger, and may soon challange the NP as the world's biggest lake fish that anglers have a chance of catching. Were Lake Argyle stocked...it can hold over 30 Awoonga's...it'd rate as the best lake of all
    (and one where you're not going to end up on the wrong side of a fartwa or in a cooking pot). Over there, experiments have been made with the diets of caged barra to try and eliminate the weedy taste. Forktail catfish grow to 30kgs and are sold in Perth as silver cobbler. Those interests may not be in favour of any fish stocking, nor, it seems, anyone else in WA.
    No commercial barramundi industry operating on Lake Argyle any longer, cobbler fin fish industry has only two operators.

Engineering conceptual design for fishway completed late last year. Budget for capital works included in regional development submission recently put to the state.

My bet is it'll get up
    Last edited by Dick Pasfield; 15-05-2008 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks for the update, Dick.
    They are changes for the better.
    Last time I was on Argyle, there wasn't much support for
    anything to do with rec fishing.

A number of locals have always thought otherwise, a few have been plugging away at it for about a decade now. A lot of people lined up behind it now that is has grown some legs. (sorry 'bout the off topic)

The problem with a fishway at Lake Argyle is going to be the Ord Barrage at Kununurra. There's no way barra can go upstream of there. In any case, the stretch to the bottom of the Argyle wall (Lake Kununurra) is too cold most of the time for barra to really fire - due to the cold de-oxygenated discharge from Argyle. So even is they build the world's best fishway...how many barra are going to use it?

The coupla million or whatever it will cost would be better spent on fish stocking.

Over and out.
    Last edited by rod harrison; 16-05-2008 at 06:20 PM.

G'day Rod

The fishway will go on the Kununurra Diversion Dam, that will lift fish up and into Lake Kununurra. The design concept is similar to the one they'll put on Tallowa Dam.

WQ is fine O levels are good and temp doesn't get much below 20C. Lake KNX already supports healthy populations of other fish species.

One of the preliminary projects was to get a handle on the dynamics of the barras that aggregate under the KDD after the wet. QDPI came across and did a fair bit of electo fishing to gain the data. The experts tell us they'll go in and up.

As for restocking Fisheries WA translocation regs forbid the movement of fish between catchments, meaning we'd need to get Ord Barra to breed in captivity but restocking was decided against primarily because of the high wet season flows that would require the gates to be opened and a good number of your $ would end up in the lower Ord each year. The recaptures from another preliminary project where tagged fish were released into the Dam gives a good indication of that.

As for getting the fish into Lake Argyle, that'd be the next phase and would use the existing spillway.

Funnily enough I ws reading the article on the "Jade Sea" that Harro mentioned today when in the "small reading room". Top read - I'll have a look at who it was when I get home. Pretty old mag, at least 10 years ago probably.

Dick, I reckon if the Barra got put into the bottom dam they'd be a fairly good chance to find their way into Argyle via Spillway Creek eventually. I can remember it running very high a few times and , if anything, actually looked like it was a bit more "navigable" when it got higher. Can't remember if there were any big falls to stop them. I went rafting down it a couple of times but not the full length.

Darryl