Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Its time to rethink the metery!

Re: Its time to rethink the metery!

As I only get to fish Awonga / Monduran once a year, any size barra is a great catch.

A metery would be magic.

Luc

Keep casting, Luc. Get a lot of first casts in. Fish at the longest possible range so's to remove the boat from the equation. Try and avoind fishing the same track twice, and only rarely, if you've just dragged a pile of weed along that path.

Those feisty 80ish fish making up the bulk of Awoonga captures thesedays will be over the metre mark in a year. Kurt Husby (GAWB hatchery head) has done a real smart thing in stocking the lake in the winter, rather than summer. I think he's getting a better class of fish from going against the conventional wisdom. I had an American friend out a coupla weeks back. He'd fished everywhere and was adamant that Awoonga was the best freshwater he'd ever had. The great thing is that we get it all for free. The GAWB have made an extraordinary contribution to fisho quality of life.

Those feisty 80ish fish making up the bulk of Awoonga captures thesedays

Depends on who fishes and how they fish Rod. Plenty of metre plus barra in that lake awaiting to have their minds tested. I'm sure the tide will turn for most on fish sizes boated after this mass weed issue either accelerates or degrades. My money is an each way bet at present. What are your thoughts? Some strands are 9 metres long. I think it is losing the battle but water levels are dropping, so I'm uncertain at this moment.
    A large number of fingerlings are to be released in Awoonga in the near close future. Great to hear good words on Awoonga from an overseas visitor.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

Well as most of the impoundment boys have stated yes 120cm is a good bench mark.

I agree for those fishing in the more open dams but lads anyone of you get a fish in the thick timber of Monduran or Faust you are doing well a $1 plus and your going fantastic, after hooking these big girls and you might win by getting him un-wrapped from the thousand sticks hes darted around then play him out with the thousand emotions, at breaking point line, hooks starting to straighten and the rod bent over the boat ten times a meter fish in the sticks is a achivement of huge proportions.

Me and others have un-weaved many a meter barra up in the sticks of Mondy and when it was at 18 % there were some real thick timber to un tangle the buggers, so in my opinion anything over the still to me magic meter is a fish of a life time.

I enjoy the barra no matter the size my dollar 15 was something else but so was any other.

Great thread cheers Nath

reckon those crazy 90's are the hardest to get out of the wood work, pull like a train, dont knock up as quick as the big girls, and at the moment quite a few in there

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    reckon those crazy 90's are the hardest to get out of the wood work, pull like a train, dont knock up as quick as the big girls, and at the moment quite a few in there
    i had a couple of 90's that fought harder then most i have caught, especiallly when ya get them in the thick timber i agree a metre is a metre if we are setting the bar higher thats a personal chioce but i reckon if ya crack the metre mark its hopefully reward for alot of effort . "There all fun no mater what size" i love them barra
    Last edited by nipsta; 11-05-2008 at 09:21 PM.

I reckon that the IGFA should have two categories for World Record barra.
    One for 'wild caught' and one for 'impoundement'.
    The current IGFA world record for a barra is:
    Species: Barramundi
    Scientific Name: Lates calcarifer
    Line Class: 37 kg (80 lb)
    Fish Weight: 41 lbs. 8 oz. - 18.824 kgs
    Angler: Ian Middleton
    Date: 9/24/2007
    LC Approved

18-19kg is a pretty chunky barra by all accounts....and congrats to Ian (especially if he's reading this) as he's the weighmaster of our fishing club. And trust me, he knows his barra..!

A 18.8kg impoundment caught record makes it a realistic possibility for an angler who fishes for 'wild caught' fish to land record breaker. It'd be a different story though if the current WR was a big fat slug of an impoundment fish over 25kg.

I presume the IGFA must classify fish according to species rather than environments...(but I still wish a png black bass was a bass and not a snapper)

By the content of previous threads it seems that there have been quite a few barra caught that've been larger than Ian's. I suppose there are the formalities & paperwork involved in submitting a record claim that might put some blokes off.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to say that you are the current 'world record' holder for barra (and you can prove it in the IGFA records).

Anyway, any lure caught barra is a good barra. I've never fished for impoundment barra as of yet but have landed loads of wildies in PNG up to and over 1m. Great fun & quality fish - no doubt!
    Last edited by PNG1M; 12-05-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Quote Originally Posted by PNG1M View Post
    I reckon that the IGFA should have two categories for World Record barra.
    One for 'wild caught' and one for 'impoundement'.
    The current IGFA world record for a barra is:
    Scientific Name: Lates calcarifer
    Line Class: 37 kg (80 lb)
    Fish Weight: 41 lbs. 8 oz. - 18.824 kgs
    Angler: Ian Middleton
    Date: 9/24/2007
    LC Approved

18-19kg is a pretty chunky barra by all accounts....and congrats to Ian (especially if he's reading this) as he's the weighmaster of our fishing club. And trust me, he knows his barra..!

A 18.8kg impoundment caught record makes it a realistic possibility for an angler who fishes for 'wild caught' fish to land record breaker. It'd be a different story though if the current WR was a big fat slug of an impoundment fish over 25kg.

I presume the IGFA must classify fish according to species rather than environments...(but I still wish a png black bass was a bass and not a snapper)

By the content of previous threads it seems that there have been quite a few barra caught that've been larger than Ian's. I suppose there are the formalities & paperwork involved in submitting a record claim that might put some blokes off.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to say that you are the current 'world record' holder for barra (and you can prove it in the IGFA records).

Anyway, any lure caught barra is a good barra. I've never fished for impoundment barra as of yet but have landed loads of wildies in PNG up to and over 1m. Great fun & quality fish - no doubt!
    didnt know that, I would have thought the curent official IGFA record would be well above 18.8kg, reckon Ive seen bigger fish than that hauled out of the basin at Mondy by the meatos, let alone some of the big girls from A or the bigger girls from Tinaroo that pop up, spose not every ones into haveing their name in a book, specially the fillet and release chappies
    re the "big fat slug of an impoundment fish", 50lb + from the sticks on a short cast in tight country, the fight is invariably short, sharp and brutal, usually one sided, they lack the stamina of a wild fish, but counter balance that with sheer brute size in a tangle of lay down timber and vertical trees
    cheers
    brian

PNG,

I guarantee the 125cm fish I got the other day would be greater than 18.8kg probably closer to 25kg. Its not the paperwork that deters me from going for a record. I just WONT kill a big fish to satisfy my ego, or for any other reason. I think thats the attitude of many blokes these days. I'd much rather have an awesome photo on my wall for my mates to stare at, than a dead fish and a record which someone will beat soon enough. Thats just my feelings.

I would rather catch a stack of salt water metereys and a black bass up you way than a WR impoundment barra Your a lucky bugger

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    PNG,

I guarantee the 125cm fish I got the other day would be greater than 18.8kg probably closer to 25kg. Its not the paperwork that deters me from going for a record. I just WONT kill a big fish to satisfy my ego, or for any other reason. I think thats the attitude of many blokes these days. I'd much rather have an awesome photo on my wall for my mates to stare at, than a dead fish and a record which someone will beat soon enough. Thats just my feelings.

I would rather catch a stack of salt water metereys and a black bass up you way than a WR impoundment barra Your a lucky bugger

Steve
    and dont forget about that other c & r species the mondy trout them as well stev lol
    Last edited by nipsta; 12-05-2008 at 09:15 PM.

PNG,

Steve
    I am with you steve mate, record are nothing i regards to seeing those fish swim away yeah sure it would be good to be wr holder but its alot of overwelming emotion to just catch one once.

let the guys who troll the open water worry about the records I much rather a pic and a wet face from the tail.
    Nath
    Last edited by Tropicaltrout; 12-05-2008 at 09:49 PM.

PNG,

Steve

Yes i completely agree, Steve and Nath.
    The record is not even on my mind when fishing for these big brutes, i reckon close to 30 kilo's for your's and Josh's 123 cm and the thought of a record has only just entered my mind. It's the last thing you want, all i want is to see them swim away fine. 18 kilo's is still a big fish, but thousads have been landed over that weight and not weighed in! Just cant bring myself to killing one.
    Ben

Maybe the 37kg line class World Record is 18.8kg?!

I'm sure the all tackle record is around 38kg caught at Tinaroo in the late 90's. From memory that fish was around 141cm.

I just tried to log on to IGFA to check the records, but you have to be a member. I'm sure Rod or an IGFA member might be able to clear things up.

I caught a 3kg line class World Record at Tinaroo in 1999 - it went 21.55kg, measured 114cm. Hopefully its still standing - not sure?

I also agree that records should be different for impoundment and wild fish. Great thread - Meterys for wild fish, 120cm for impoundment.

Cheers,

Matt

You're too modest, Matt.
    I do remember fishing with Jack Erskine and Laurie Woodbridge that day and driving over to your boat to drop Wood off when it seemed you needed a hand - all by yourself trying to play a fish and film at the same time. The Tooth Fairy must have been on the tiller. Wood did a great job filming.
    It was a great piece of fishing mate. I think the record will stand.
    There were a parcel of IGFA records set at Bensbach but that's pretty tame water and there aren't any bass there.
    Last edited by rod harrison; 13-05-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Hey Matt,

You're right mate. I sussed out the IGFA records page and the ALL TACKLE record was set in 1999 by David Powell and stands at 37.85kg

I should'a sussed out the records page more closer the first time.

KILLING a fish to claim a record: No, I wouldn't do it either but you don't have to.
    Below I have included an extract from the IGFA records section. See point 3 where it says the fish can be identifiable from photos. Plus there needs to be witnesses etc ...but no need to kill the fish!

ALL-TACKLE CATEGORY
    All-Tackle world records are kept for the heaviest of a fish species
    caught by an angler in any line class up to 130 lb (60 kg). Fish caught on
    lines designed to test over the 130 lb (60 kg) class will not be considered
    for record claims.

All-tackle record claims are considered for all species of fish
    caught according to IGFA angling rules.

1. The fish must represent a valid species with a recognized
    scientific name.
    2. The fish must be a species commonly fished for with rod and
    reel in the general area where the catch is made.
    3. The fish must be identifiable based on photos and other
    supporting data presented with the application.
    4. The fish must be considered “trophy-sized.” A rule of thumb is
    that the weight must fall within the top half of the estimated maximum
    weight of the species.

Current ALL-TACKLE record:
    Scientific name: Lates calcarifer
    All-tackle Line Class: 24 kg (50 lb)
    Fish weight: 83 lbs. 7 oz. - 37.85 kgs
    Angler: David Powell
    Date: 9/23/1999
    LC Approved

Photos will definately be sufficient to substantiate a record claim, as long as the photos are clear and the fish is easily identifiable. Ideally, the pics should be examined by a qualified 'ichthyologist' (fisheries biologist) and then, if they are unable to verify the species from the photos, the actual fish itself may need to be presented.

So if your snaps aren't up to par - big deal about the record, as long as the fish is still alive & well.

Cheers guys...
    png
    Last edited by PNG1M; 13-05-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: more info...