Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on spearfishing

Re: Your thoughts on spearfishing

With respect Mono, spearos were the first to call on the NSW Fisheries for protection of the Blue Groper. Concern about the ease with which these fish could be taken on the spear led to the NSW Govt introducing the first ban on the taking of Blue Groper in 1969. This ban has remained and is still current today.
    Having said that, I too am aware of the 'macho' slaughter of sharks, thankfully spearfishing and indeed linefishing have both moved forward very considerably since then.
    As for GNS, I believe spearos are calling Bull$#tt to the supposed low numbers,
    from vague (sorry) memory I believe there has been a fair bit of recent anecdotal evidence given by spearo peak bodies to this effect.
    But hey, MPs are a whole 'nother can of (political) worms.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by nigelr; 02-05-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks for the replies and positive feedback. I guess spearfishing just isnt for some people. I see both sides point of view but i do agree its more sustainable spearfishing if u just spear one or two trophy fish but sadly some silly people dont take that into account much and end up spearing way to many fish (more then they need). One way i think about it is netters, longliners and etc would probaly do more damage to the fish and marine life population then fishing and spearfishing put togther.

thanks for your responses keep em coming.

Yeh I do both and haven't had any problems with people. I had some mates that went trolling in a spot where I was trying to spear mackerel once. I remember watching this gar swimming past my nose and wondering what would have happened if someone decided to set the hooks It also happened at flat rock (when you could fish there) but that was a little scarier. We were using the tinnie as a float and drift diving at day break. I could hear these other boats turn up to start trolling but couldn't see them over the swells. Was really hoping they saw the flag flying on the tinnie!!

All sports have their yahoos and I guess it doesn't matter if they spear or angle. There will always be those that take more than necessary or just don't consider others in general.

I love it, and have fond memories of chasing fish around NSW central coast beaches, Oh, and being chased by a hungry grey suit once (eek!)

Actually I saw a huge amount of fish on the gold coast recently, and nothing I could do would tempt them onto the line.. each time I went out there snorkelling I could almost touch them, but could I catch one ? nope..

I would have loved to have a small hand spear, I would have just nabbed one for dinner, and some bragging rights.. but for now, my fishing reputation is as always, in tatters
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    With respect Mono, spearos were the first to call on the NSW Fisheries for protection of the Blue Groper. Concern about the ease with which these fish could be taken on the spear led to the NSW Govt introducing the first ban on the taking of Blue Groper in 1969. This ban has remained and is still current today.
    Im sorry i dont believe that is the truth, but what i have read ( australian and new zealand fishing 1973) contradicts this. The motion was imposed by the Amateur Fisherman's Advisory Council, by Chief Secretary Mr Willis in 1969. And this ban included a five year ban by ALL FISHERMAN line and all, because of the damage which was done and they were critically rare.

Mono, i here you mate, two words. Vick Hislop he was responsible for a god dam lot of grey nurse sharks with his propaganda. And he opened a shark museum, what a peice of whatever that guy is....

Cheers
    Last edited by _Dan_; 02-05-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Really good forum fellas.
    I'm not saying to bar spearfishing because I still have mates who are really responsible spearos and love their fishing.
    Its just I've had my share of confrontations with the yobbo element, particularly one group in camo wetsuits from the Goldie who must eat A LOT of fish (approx 35 wahoo in three days! Approx 525 kilos @15 kilo each fish, thats being conservative, there were some up to 30kg!) and have no reguard for other boats-anglers.
    As you can probably tell I am not a big fan of spearos but each to their own and if we all stick to the rules, use some common sence and eticate we can all get along just fine.

Cheers
    Last edited by mono; 02-05-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

Quote Originally Posted by _Dan_ View Post
    I Vick Hislop he was responsible for a god dam lot of grey nurse sharks with his propaganda. And he opened a shark museum, what a peice of whatever that guy is....

Cheers
    I think you are mistaken,Dan...Hislop killed plenty of sharks...but the ones he targeted and displays in his museum's are the maneaters..not the harmless species.

Scott

Scott I think Dan means all the propaganda and scare tactics Hislop used to promote his bussiness! Encouraging people to target them ect.

Cheers
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Scott I think Dan means all the propaganda and scare tactics Hislop used to promote his bussiness! Encouraging people to target them ect.

Cheers
    Uh OK mate...got it now...
    I guess we can lump Steven Spielberg in here as well...

Scott

the yobbo element ... who must eat A LOT of fish (approx 35 wahoo in three days! Approx 525 kilos @15 kilo each fish, thats being conservative, there were some up to 30kg!) and have no reguard for other boats-anglers.

Unfortunately that element aren't just confined to spearfishing. I watch plenty of line men hit the mackerel the same way in my neck of the woods

Scott, mono has it. I meant the hysteria caused lead to a target on these species, included with all other sharks as well.

I guess my point is, i have never read an article were recreational line fishos were responsible for the direct decline of a species, like spearos have in the past. I guess it all boils down to me fishing with my son and hes son if i am lucky, like i did with dad and my grandad.

Maybe i am too passionate about the cause.

Cheers

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by _Dan_ View Post
    I guess my point is, i have never read an article were recreational line fishos were responsible for the direct decline of a species, like spearos have in the past.

Unfortunately Line fishermen can be directly responsible for such a large decline in fish stocks that its almost on the verge of impossible to specify a single species that was decimated as compared to another. Spearo's were largely blamed for the near demise of both blue groper and GNS but line fishers are solely responsible for a larger broad scaled decimation of fish stocks.
    But as previously said, none of this is nearly comparable to the effects of certain unsustainable commercial activities. Netting; pocket netting, gill netting, trawling, trapping and longlining will long be one of the worst threats to our fish stocks. The absolute devastation caused by prawn trawlers in the rivers has to be seen to be believed. Its honestly heart breaking stuff.
    Different strokes for different folks, some spear, some fish, some do both. It all comes down to the individual as to how they fish and what their attitudes towards what fish they catch are. I believe that no one style of fishing can be tarred and feathered purely by an experience we have had with someone who fishes this way. There will always be a scumbag element in any style of fishing, there will always be the fishermen/women, spearo's, who take that 35 wahoo in 3 days. If they could catch it from a boat, chances are these same people would have kept them anyway.

Why have we been stopped from fishing in these areas?
    To protect the bloody Grey Nurse Shark!
    Why are they now endandered?

SPEARFISHING for GNS was all the rage 20-30 years ago.

And yes before anyone asks, I do know people personally who did it and have seen their photos of dozens of them dead on the beach. Back then it was called sport and they were of the impression that all sharks were dangerous, so get rid of them
    Still, you wouldnt get me spearing any shark,
    THATS CRAZY!
    Ahhhhh, To be young and Free

Quote Originally Posted by Cobia Kid View Post
    Still, you wouldnt get me spearing any shark,
    THATS CRAZY!
    What needs to be understood CB is that these 'fishermen/fisherwomen' used powerheads,which were a spear that housed a chamber on the end carrying a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge,the method was basicly swim down hit a number around the head and watch them spiral off quivering with nerves then go tailrope them and drag them to the surface for the obilgatory photo session,the photo session was then followed by trophy taking and the dumping of the remains.
    As for spearfishing in genneral today,I don't know anyone who does it,I have never tried it,but I don't like it.

Cobia, many of the sharks were taken with 'powerheads' ie a spear with a live round of rifle ammunition on the end, which detonated when it hit the shark.
    No contest at all really, especially against the docile GNS.
    Great to see the 'macho' mentality has eased to a large extent, and powerheads are illegal in NSW and have been for some time, as far as I know.
    Organised spearfishing has cleaned it's act up considerably over the years, thankfully. It had a very poor image in the not too distant past, but the peak bodies have worked hard to reverse this.
    It is probably worth mentioning that in NSW at least, spearfishers are required to hold the same licence as a line fisher, and are bound by the same rules.
    They are specifically excluded from taking blue wrasse (groper).
    Cheers.
    PS - sorry banshee, you just pipped me to the post with your reply!
    Last edited by nigelr; 04-05-2008 at 09:36 AM.