Thread: tripletail on fly

tripletail on fly

hi there guys while coming back from not so good mornings fishing, my mate saw something in the water next to a xxxx 6pack rapper and it was a triple tail we thought it was injured but it was just laying there on its side until it saw the boat and sounded,we went looking for it and found another my mate was throwing a small slug and i was useing and small tuna fly after a few attemps i tied on a larger tuna fly and put it right in its nose after a few more attemps, my mate saw it take it then my rod started to load ,they do pull hard but it was a bit sluggish 6lb or 2.76kg and 56cm, it was hanging on the surface to about 5ft down and it was the first fish on a newly built ultra fast flylogic i built a few weeks ago,but still looking for that longtail on it,but it was a first for me so i cant complain as it was just of bribe looking for tuna ,bonus

Re: tripletail on fly

Not abad fish to blood your new stick
    Are you fishing in the Tuna Tournament this weekend out of Bribie ? couldn't get a better or memorable chance to catch your firts LT !

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

hi flyfisho no i cant go into the comp got to work weekends and ive got longtail before just not on the new rod got a silverlable 4pc 10wt tipflex for tuna ,i built a 7wt ultrafast flylogic and it did well on a7kg mac tuna so i thought id build a 10wt.

thats an awsome catch. i wonder why he did not go so hard as the two that i got at mellvill and bathast island pulled like freight trains. i got them on live mullet so i dont think thay count hehe but to get one on fly, thats awsome top work
    figjam :wink:

Fantastic fish chris and what a boat driver obviously a realy observant bloke ,a bloody nice catch and selection of fly mate we are goin to have to catchup soon for a day out talk soon ...matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Better known up north as a jumping cod. What a awesome catch on fly. Could only ever catch them on fresh pippys in shallow gutters up north.
    Well done chris
    Cheers Moggy

Nice fish mate where did you catch him?Did you keep him they are supposed to be good in the pot?One of there characterisics is they like hangingout near things floating in the water(flotsam) thats why he was prob near the xxxx wrapper.Seen a few and seen a few caught up in NT.Noticed them while trolling for barra laying on there side in the water as soon as you approach they scoot off.
    Mex