Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tinarooooo Pilgrimage

Re: Tinarooooo Pilgrimage

G'Day Chris,
    Firstly let me say good luck on the trip, hope you get a big MUMMA, After reading all the recent posts on the big MUMMA'S coming out of Monduran i am starting to shake like you would not believe, me thinks another trip is on the cards for me pretty soon, shame i could not make the M&G at Mondy this weekend maybe next time.

NOW ON HOOKS, Jas is 110% correct, owner ST66 are the hooks to use and are indeed the benchmark.
    In saying that, i must say i saw the Decoy hooks for the first time at Faust last year, one of the locals is using them. While talking to him he said that the hooks would pierce bone, (look out) and were as strong as the owners! Now i'm not sure about that but i and others would say that by using a QUAD TREBLE you are making it easier for the fish to throw the hooks. Most people say that a single hook has far better holding power that even the standard trebles and they say you should be using single hooks, or two single hooks! Since i have changed to using Owner ST66 trebles i have not had a problem although i have heard that some chaps have had them bent out of shape with a big girl on the end.
    Mate, in the end it's your call but i would hate to hear you lost a 130cm MUMMA because a set of hooks folded up on you.

I hope you get good weather and have a brilliant time up there mate, i'm so bloody jealous, your idea of an IBD TOUR sounds good to me.

Cheers,
    John.
    Last edited by Obi _ Wan; 02-05-2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    G'Day Chris,
    Firstly let me say good luck on the trip, hope you get a big MUMMA, After reading all the recent posts on the big MUMMA'S coming out of Monduran i am starting to shake like you would not believe, me thinks another trip is on the cards for me pretty soon, shame i could not make the M&G at Mondy this weekend maybe next time.

NOW ON HOOKS, Jas is 110% correct, owner ST66 are the hooks to use and are indeed the benchmark.
    In saying that, i must say i saw the Decoy hooks for the first time at Faust last year, one of the locals is using them. While talking to him he said that the hooks would pierce bone, (look out) and were as strong as the owners! Now i'm not sure about that but i and others would say that by using a QUAD TREBLE you are making it easier for the fish to throw the hooks. Most people say that a single hook has far better holding power that even the standard trebles and they say you should be using single hooks, or two single hooks! Since i have changed to using Owner ST66 trebles i have not had a problem although i have heard that some chaps have had them bent out of shape with a big girl on the end.
    Mate, in the end it's your call but i would hate to hear you lost a 130cm MUMMA because a set of hooks folded up on you.

I hope you get good weather and have a brilliant time up there mate, i'm so bloody jealous, your idea of an IBD TOUR sounds good to me.

Cheers,
    John.
    Thanks John

Since Whitey is still late ! ... i'll reply
    Hooks ...... As mentioned Owners are what I use! ( Decoys an extented trial! ..... & they will pierce bone!) .... But ..... you are right about loosing a mumma due to a set of hooks!

Now ..... The I.B.D tour does sound good ... doesn't it
    Being that i'll be in Brisbane later this year ...... I'll be even keener to organise something!
    I'll put up a post ..... to get some ideas

Cheers

Chris

PS .... Whitey is still not here

Nagg,
    No worries mate there is certainly no reason why you cant use other hooks, your choice 100%. I was digging deeper to find your motivation.
    There is no other fish that swims that has the same destructive jaw pressure and is as hard on terminals than Barra, that includes billfish, the razor gang.
    Fine gauge hooks have a place for barra fishing no doubt, but on a long haul from Sydney to a dam thats known to hold the countries biggest barra I'd be leaving nothing to chance. Maybe I am paranoid

Im sure you have weighed up the positives and negatives, have a good one up there, its an awesome dam in unique surrounds.
    Cheers
    Jas

Simmo,

I was wondering what all those wires and gizmos were attached to my boat....

All I can say is the pressure is now on to get some fish in a dam that has been a tough fishery to get consistent results of late. Regardless, each cast could be the one, and I will be having a sticky up there Sunday/Monday to have a look at an area I have not fished for awhile, and hopefully come up trumphs...

Theo, I do agree about the day barra up here. You know I love hearing, and then seeing the barra hit my lures and then go berzerk!!!!! But there will be night fishing in a couple of spots on this trip, as we will make the most of Nagg's time up here. After all, he's not coming up to only hear the stories, but make ones of his own

Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboss View Post
    Simmo,

I was wondering what all those wires and gizmos were attached to my boat....

All I can say is the pressure is now on to get some fish in a dam that has been a tough fishery to get consistent results of late. Regardless, each cast could be the one, and I will be having a sticky up there Sunday/Monday to have a look at an area I have not fished for awhile, and hopefully come up trumphs...

Theo, I do agree about the day barra up here. You know I love hearing, and then seeing the barra hit my lures and then go berzerk!!!!! But there will be night fishing in a couple of spots on this trip, as we will make the most of Nagg's time up here. After all, he's not coming up to only hear the stories, but make ones of his own

Cheers
    Matt
    Thanks for the Reconnoiter Matt ...... Just remember ... No hooks so you don't sting em !

Chris, As you may remember, I was trialling the Decoys, I cant remember whether I got back to you about them, Anyway, I have taken them off the trial lures, gone back to OWNERS. I couldn't seem to hold a hookup. I was losing fish in the first 5 sec.....I dont know why....not penetrating...they ARE very sharp??..they weren't straightening...so i cant pinpoint a problem, probably just me. They look like they should be awesome...but I just couldn' hold a fish.

I wouldn't risk it mate. Your a bloke who likes the best quality in anything fishing....OWNER is it. Stick with them.

cheers Steve

BB keep an eye on this bloke I hear he is a closet kill n grill, when returned to ramp a quick darker areas search of his quick release placcie backpack should be sufficient

Good luck nagg, gods country the edges of that lake.

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 04-05-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    BB keep an eye on this bloke I hear he is a closet kill n grill, when returned to ramp a quick darker areas search of his quick release placcie backpack should be sufficient

Good luck nagg, gods country the edges of that lake.

cheers fnq
    ohhh .... not fair

I've been for a quick drive up the Athertons in between fishing the Russel Mulgrave rivers .... & PNG ......... just awesome

Nagg

Just another 55 hours till I jump on the big bird & head North

Not that I'm counting

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Chris, As you may remember, I was trialling the Decoys, I cant remember whether I got back to you about them, Anyway, I have taken them off the trial lures, gone back to OWNERS. I couldn't seem to hold a hookup. I was losing fish in the first 5 sec.....I dont know why....not penetrating...they ARE very sharp??..they weren't straightening...so i cant pinpoint a problem, probably just me. They look like they should be awesome...but I just couldn' hold a fish.

I wouldn't risk it mate. Your a bloke who likes the best quality in anything fishing....OWNER is it. Stick with them.

cheers Steve
    I had an Owner retrofit session last night with my lures ........ so that part is taken care of!

Nagg
    Last edited by NAGG; 06-05-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Re: Tinarooooo Pilgrimage Fri 9th-Mon 12th

Well Ausfishers ...... Tomorrow its off to Cairns for 4 days of chasing barra at Tinaroo
    Hopefully some good results will be had! ..... I'm sure Matt ( Barraboss) will help with my IBD

Cheers

Nagg

Tonite will be a sleepless one ...... I'm guessing
    Last edited by NAGG; 07-05-2008 at 10:38 PM. Reason: I.B.D

I've just emailed and SMS'd the ski club...
    If they see a little yellow boat with two big fellas chuckin stuff at the weeds....
    Its a ski bouy, they have to ski at it...closest wins....
    Good luck mate, cant wait for the reports AND PIX!
    Wish I could get up there for an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Simmo2 View Post
    I've just emailed and SMS'd the ski club...
    If they see a little yellow boat with two big fellas chuckin stuff at the weeds....
    Its a ski bouy, they have to ski at it...closest wins....
    Good luck mate, cant wait for the reports AND PIX!
    Wish I could get up there for an hour or two.
    Tah Simmo ....... but with lures flying left right & centre , It would be a pretty dangerous area to be in

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well Ausfishers ...... Tomorrow its off to Cairns for 4 days of chasing barra at Tinaroo
    Hopefully some good results will be had! ..... I'm sure Matt ( Barraboss) will help with my IBD

Cheers

Nagg

Tonite will be a sleepless one ...... I'm guessing
    Have a great trip Chris, We wait with baited breath for your report and fotos, You Lucky Lucky Ba.ta.d, Cheers Whitto

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Have a great trip Chris, We wait with baited breath for your report and fotos, You Lucky Lucky Ba.ta.d, Cheers Whitto

Thanks Whitto ...... I'm buzzzzin!

hopefully I'll have something to write about

Chris