Thread: Penn Pinpoint Tournament

Penn Pinpoint Tournament

just chasing some opinions and info on the penn pinpoint tournament rods. they look a very nice rod for around $100. good sensitivity in the tip and looks quite strong in the butt....would be looking to match it with a daiwa advantage spinning reel for medium plastics/allrounder.

any info appreciated

Re: Penn Pinpoint Tournament

G'day Bulli,

The pinpoint is a good plastics rod, Swano uses one matched to a 4000 Penn affinity. He has muscled some very nice snapper into Flamin Riptide with it. The only criticism is the butt is probably 4 -5 " too short...but it is a proven performer

cheers

Rhys

agree with Rhys they are a good value little rod and yes i also agree that the butt section is a tad short. You want that little bit more leverage for medium plastics when you hook on to something solid

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    G'day Bulli,

The pinpoint is a good plastics rod, Swano uses one matched to a 4000 Penn affinity. He has muscled some very nice snapper into Flamin Riptide with it. The only criticism is the butt is probably 4 -5 " too short...but it is a proven performer

cheers

Rhys
    What model.....or size is he using for this.

G'day Roo,

its a Penn Pinpoint tournament 3-6kg, 7'

he's extended the butt 5 inches and hopes to put a bend in it in the morning!!!

Cheers

rhys

hey boys

bought a 3-6kg today putting a tda 3000 on it. hopefully give it a work out this wknd. thanks for the input. will let ya no how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    G'day Roo,

its a Penn Pinpoint tournament 3-6kg, 7'

he's extended the butt 5 inches and hopes to put a bend in it in the morning!!!

Cheers

rhys
    nice, I'd like to see how he did that. take a pic for us Rhys.

These rods are very average after you own one for awile i have a one on a exceller plus 1500 for bream and the cork has come off the reel seat
    One good thing about the rod is that it is quite strong for a 1-3kg or whatever mine is.I have caught mac tuna up to 7kg on it and a few nice reef fish and it handled them good for a light rod.
    I recon the pfluger trion and trion tournaments are better

cheers BK

bit late picking this thread up , first snap on the rod was 4.5 kgs hit the plakkie on d drop and went like the bejezzus for the bot bot , the rod is now 7foot6 and talk about well matched with the 260 slammer ,yeah hah i got me a new fav
    cheers swano

Hi Swano, How do you find the little slammer? Is it a similar size to a 2500 Diawa.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    Hi Swano, How do you find the little slammer? Is it a similar size to a 2500 Diawa.
    Mate these slammers are a great reel the drag capacities they have outgun the opposition hands down for their size , would recommend them to anyone looking for a tough longlasting saltwater workhorse . and yes its about the same size as a 2500 maybe a tad heavier though , its stoped some very nice fish in its time.
    cheers swano

The extended butt is a great mod Swano, would make a handy spec for Penn to produce. The extra length makes fighting this class of fish so much more comfortable yet finding suitable models has been tricky until now, we seem to be spoiled for choices lately.
    Nerang Fishing(big yellow shop) has Pflueger Presidents on sale for $99. Good rods with a ideal taper for flicking jerkshads for Snapper and a Good 8" butt section to bring it to them in the fight. Two suitable models there, the 6'8" 3-6kg and the 7' 4-7kg. the tips are nice and light with a fast taper, quality fuji hardware including Stainless Sic guides. I Compared these to the Starlo stic Pro max cast 4-7kg rod($200)....much of a muchness, the starlo has a bit better length(7'2"), the president better components and neater build quality.
    Worth a look.

Cheers Roo.

hi guys,
    sorry to butt into this thread, but i was wondering how the rear grip was extended on that rod. I have a baitcast rod that id like to do the same thing with and really have no idea how to do it. Was the blank extended inside the grip with dowel or the like??
    thanks in advance
    Aadam

Yeah Aadam, that is exactly how Swano extended it - when his boat reversed over the proguide and smashed it, it made the rod blank that he extended it with and the other butt available but thats another story!

cheers

Rhys