Thread: Glenlyon Dam report.

Glenlyon Dam report.

Spent a few days this week up the dam for the first time for the last week of NSW school holidays with the 2 boys, 7&9. Plans to hit the beach were rained out so the dam was the best option.

Arrived Tuesday arvo to the report that decent numbers of smaller fish were getting caught on bait and lure. Shrimp numbers were fairly good with a few traps supplying a days needs. We headed out Wednesday for a few hours bobbing some shrimp around the tree's with no result. Soon the kids were getting bored so went back to camp were they amused themselves elseware and due to rain did not go back out.Thursday saw heavy fog and cold weather decend on the area and a late morning start was made. Again bait, coupled with kids did no good for us so a search and explore of the dam saw us head right up the top where a small fish was trolled up on a purple stumpjumper (chosen by Lachlan for it's Melbourne Storm colours).

Unfortunately this ensured that I had to get Jacob a fish as well and it took another couple of hours trolling timber drop offs and rock walls before I was able to get him hooked up to a decent Yellow which gave him some trouble boating. This fish came on a yellow boomarang lure down deep off a large rockwall.

Friday Saw us head back out to explore the lower section of the Dam but after a couple of hour trolling decided to call it quits. Gave it 1/2 hour or so at dusk trolling some timber and rockwalls but could not temp any after that. Water temp over the dam was between 20.5 - 22c.

While we did not do much good we spent little real time on the water with the poor weather and good facilities such as playground and open area for the kids to ride there bikes winning over sitting in the boat potentially fishless. For those that did spend good fishing time on the water they did alright earlier in the week but with the weather change they found things slowed right down and the fish had to be worked hard for. Shrimp seemed to be the fish catchers and while I assume others succeeded, I did not hear any other fish coming from lures.

The dam itself is quite good and a good size. Big enough to fish new water each day but not to big that you cant head from end to end in a days session. The kids seem to enjoy it and it appears fairly safe for them to ride around and play. Personally Pindari on the NSW side is more to my liking for lure casting but as a family destination I will be heading back to Glenlyon. Thanks to those who passed on some info I asked for before going.

Alistair.
    Last edited by whykickacatalong; 26-04-2008 at 08:13 PM.

Re: Glenlyon Dam report.

sounds like the dams still not firing,,, good to see you got into afew fish anyhow...cheers bdowdy..brett

Great report, great pics and nice fish

cheers Kevin

Yes it can be a hard dam at times been there many times for donuts, but killed them other times and have caught some nice cod there too. Its a great place to stay.