Thread: After Work Sooty and JP

After Work Sooty and JP

I'd spent the last few days on the road with the boss, ending up in Cairns. Once I'd dropped him at Cairns airport I was free. I had a 2-4kg two piece rod stashed in the back of the car, along with a selection of lures. My intention was to return to a little creek I discovered a few weeks ago, but didn't fish it at that time.

I arrived at said creek at 3pm on my way back to Townsville and spent the next two hours wading and exploring this fabulous bit of water. My third cast was absolutely smashed, and I was thumbing the spool as this thug headed straight for a snag. I wasn't sure if my 4lb leader would hold, but it did. After a great fight a fat little sooty of 32cm was at my feet. This fish came from right beside the road.

I hadn't really expected a sooty as I could see heaps of JPs from the road when I found this spot. Today I spotted one big JP from the road and lobbed the lure a good 10ft from it, but it still spooked and bolted in a flash.

From the road I trekked downstream. There were areas of rapids and pools with slower moving water. It all looked very fishy, so I fired a long cast to the end of one of the rapids which produced a pretty little JP.

I went a little further, then began the trek back to the road. I tried a little pop r and squidgy sp but without luck. Seems as when a fish comes from a section of creek, all the other fish go and hide.

I arrived back at the car at 5pm, and got back on the Bruce bound for Townsville which was still a couple of hours away.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Regards,
    Dave.

Re: After Work Sooty and JP

Great report mate and nice pics .

Tim.

Stunning fish there mate, i hold both these fish in high regard even though i have never caught them im still facinated by them.

nice plump sooty there, and those markings on the jungle r amazing!

Congrats on a fine catch!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Nice little arvo sesh there Dave
    Did you walk far from the road to get these fish?

Cheers
    Toppy

Hi Dave,
    Good report and excellent pics yet again. I'm still keen to catch up some time.
    I'll be camping up Tully Gorge next break, hopefully I can get amongst some JP's while I'm there.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Toppy,

The sooty came from under the bridge in the pic, and the JP about 300m downstream.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks. We went exploring around the Tully this past weekend. Returned to this creek for nil return, and fished another close by for one sooty and an unidentified fish. Could also see tarpon cruising, but couldn't get them to commit to the lure. We then found another creek that produced around 20 sooties up to 36cm or so. Couldn't raise any JPs though. I'll post some pics tonight and give you a call. This is my first week at home since Easter!

Thanks for all the other comments.

Regards,
    Dave.