Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinaroo for the first time!

Tinaroo for the first time!

After the move back north a few weeks ago I finally unpacked my fishing gear and managed to sneak off to tinaroo today for the first time. Its great living under an hour from a barra dam! no more 3 or 5 hour treks to mondy or awoonga!

as i'd never fished the dam before i wasn't expecting too much, mainly to check the place out and start familiarising myself with the dam for the many future trips to come....

it has been really cold lately up here for this time of year, we hit the dam about 7.30am and surface temps for down in the 22's. immediately i found a great looking grassy weedbed so out went a slick rig on my custom point casting rod...i'd just finished extolling the virtues of said slick rig in these situations to my mate who'd never been impoundment barra fishing before when i got slammed! the fish jumped clear of the water and i knew immediately i was onto a horse. my mate went weak at the knees when it jumped again leaving a gaping hole in the surface on re entry...after a good deep slugfest i guided her into the net and onto the waiting brag mat..well it looks like i'll need to get myself one of those truth mats as it was the full length of the brag mat or just over 127cm...needless to say i was stoked! i'd been busting my arse for years at mondy and awoonga and within 20min on tinaroo i'd completely anihilated my old PB of 102cm!!

for the rest of the day the fishing was extremely quiet, we did a lot of exploring and did not manage even a hit until late in the arvo we pulled up at a great looking point i'd earmarked earlier in the day and sounded some solid fish hanging off the lee side of the point. my mate came up solid on a good fish, after a scorching run which was emptying his abu at a great rate the end result was a jump off as it cleared the water well away form the boat...needless to say my mate didn't shut up the whole way home..muttering things like drag upgrades, more lures and stronger leaders...i think yet another victim has succumbed to the dreaded IBD!

sorry about the expression on my face, just about gave myself a hernia lifting her for a happy snap before back in the water as quick as possible...took a few minutes of swimming her before she kicked strongly free to grow bigger and torment a few more anglers

Re: Tinaroo for the first time!

Wheezer,

I am gutted!!!!!That was my fish hahahaha

You did it and did it well and all I can say is congratulations. I was wondering how you were going to go this arvo. What an initiation back to Tinaroo!!!!!

Are you heading up on the weekend?

Cheers
    Matt

Onya mate, good to see you're settling in up there. How's the job going, got any callouses on those pen pushing hands yet!!

Nice report Wheezer Thanks

Farrrrrrr out ...... Happy Tinaroo or what WELL DONE!

Nagg

Bloody hell Andrew.....looks like Tinaroo is agreeing with you already Absolute trophy fish mate...you might need to commission that donkey kong lure thing you have in your kit by the size of the fish up there.

Congratulations mate.

Cheers
    Paul

thanks boys....i always said when i nail a horse i'd treat my self to a cast on the wall for the [future] den....i think this one qualifies!!

funny you say that tim, i split the tips of all my fingers over the week not wearing gloves...it made fishing a little uncomfortable but not gonna stop me from getting out there with fish like that out there

Great PB - looks like Matt & Theo now have someone else to keep in good company!

All these huge barra in Tinaroo........another couple of years and Mondy will produce the same (I hope!)

Shun

What a Ball Te***er, That thing is as wide as the boat, well done and fotos, Cheers Whitto

Welcome to Tinaroo mate!

Terrific fish... thats what that part of the Lake is known for. Keep em' coming!

Cheers

Theo
    TT

ripper barra there mate!!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

awesome Barra Wheezer what a big girl! from the pic tinaroo looks like a top dam.

Sheeesh.... that would be right! but half your luck what a ripper!

cheers fnq

Huuuuge fish Andy well done mate....

Would have loved to been there when you got that one.

NOW get cracking on the GT'S will ya....

Pete

Great fish wheezer,

I can hardly wait to get up there to have ago at them, only about 22 days to go, not that I am counting so leave at least one for me.

Peter-B