Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prawn cooking advice

Prawn cooking advice

Just looking 4 advice on cooking prawns. How long do u boil them and do U use sea water or salted fresh. I'm going to catch a few kg soon and wouldn't like to stuff em up

Re: Prawn cooking advice

Its a long and boring job mate.......as a friend just drop them off at my place and I will do them for you hehehehe
    Seriously, I'd use salt water from where you cauight them, (sometimes i will add a handfull of salt on top of this) .....bring water to boil and place them into the water. After a few minutes they will start to float. I generally allow a further minute or so and them remove them from the boiling water and straight into an icy cold slurry. Lip smacking good.

Shane

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

Check out what I do. Plenty of practice and never fails ... http://www.bbbalc.com/index.cfm?Menu=Recipes&PageID=133

Ive always added a tablespoon of sugar to the water to make the Prawn easier to peel as well as helping the shell to stay nice and crispy for shelling..

I dont boil em, I will only bbq em in garlic and olive oil. Cold beer on the side. Yum.

Andrew

Hey Didley ...

The cheese and kisses does ours most of the time and generally i'd say does things pretty much the same as Shane and with salt water where ever possible.

When we do the cold slurry, if she can't use salt water she tries to get as much salt into the mix as can be absorbed, then adds the ice .... throw the just boiled prawns in and you little beauty ....

Either way would have to be OK I'd imagine

Cheers
    GS

Thanks 4 the advice fellas, I really like the sound of Volvo's sugar in the water. I've never been prawning before, so it will be interesting to see how I go.

Didley,
    prawns on the bbq, get the plate hot, soak a few sheets of newspaper in some water, throw on the prawns, bit of lemon juice,and sprinkle salt, this is all still with the shell on, then cover the lot with the wet newspaper for about 3-5mins, boiling them tends to lose its flavor, this way it keeps it locked in, give it a go, very nice

Daz

not too sure that the sugar helps in peeling them in any way, but who knows, I find that if the Prawns are Fresh, and they are fully cooked and cooled in Ice water, peeling is never a problem, mind you, a handfull of Hot Prawns is hard to beat, same goes for Blue Swimmers (sandies) fresh cooked, straight out of the Pot onto a plate and away you go, you burn the buggery out of your Fingers eating them, but who cares??

Cook prawns any way really. but if you want them cooked to eat cold. boil water add a good handful of salt (NOT SALT WATER, TALK ABOUT OTHER GROSS SHIT IN THE WATER) and cook till shell turns red. other wise if you over cook they go tough. In other cook, just keep in mind when prawn shells go red maybe a min after they do. then they are ready.

barbeque them with honey and soy sauce and its awesome i don't eat to much sea food but i ate about 20 of them they were great. they were the best prawns ever.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Didley all ways look good but the simple one is the best if the water you caught them in is clear use that or just put a good handfull in the pot
    get the water boiling then chuck in the prawns with handfull of brown sugar in
    when they are cooked they float and curl ,straight prawns aren't cooked
    scoop out the prawns as soon as they curl up there is no timing needed and some prawns don't go red
    put straight into an ice slurry for about 10 minutes or as long as you like
    the ice water pops the shell from the flesh just like with crabs it makes them easier to peel
    all the salt used in the boiling gets rid of any nasties in the water as a rule
    now a dash of lemon and a cold can of jimmy and............
    IFISHCQ2

I was gonna put up a new thread about this but did a search and got all the above info.

Thanks for those who posted, even though it was April 2008..!!

I wanted to know how to boil up your own prawns at home so they came close to the pre-cooked ones you buy at the co-op & that are cooked on the trawlers. etc

Any more techniques out there...??
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

There is another way, which is magic.
    DONT put salt in the cooking water.
    Bring to boil, add prawns, when floating remove and place into ice slurry, WITH THE SALT ADDED HERE,The longer you leave them , the saltier they get. Just wait till you try this method. Fantastic.
    David

Hey Didley,

Just wondering what you are going to use for a net???