Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane rive bass?

Brisbane rive bass?

Hey people, just a quick question regarding Bass in the river. How far up the river are the bass? and is there any chance of fishing for them of the bank?

Cheers, Mick.

Re: Brisbane rive bass?

Those few that know are not telling.
    Trust me. I've tried asking them here in Ippy.lol.

oh ok, so is there only small pockets of them through the river?

Mick.

From all the info I have been able to collect so far,
    They are bass that where stocked in Wivenhoe, they got into the lower regions when the flood gates where opened, wich was a long time ago now.
    They can be caught anywhere from wivenhoe down to Allawah rd (sp) weir.(no fishing allowed near the weir)
    There is a nice area of weeds around Kholo bridge that I have caught a few small ones in. Don't know if there is a better spot though, as I don't have a boat to go exploring.

theres a couple of places where you can fish the banks around Fernvale and further upstream. Ive done ok using live shrimp at some of these spots.

Cool thanks guys, how does colleges crossing go? I don't think there would be bass there but is it worth a fish?

Once again thanks guys, Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by 84mick View Post
    Cool thanks guys, how does colleges crossing go? I don't think there would be bass there but is it worth a fish?

Once again thanks guys, Mick.
    There was a thread on fishing Colleges Crossing recently. Bass got a mention;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...leges+crossing

Cheers

Dave

Twin bridges area just outside Lowood and also river access from Fernvale - Lowood road are the 2 areas i would give a go.
    Cheers
    Ray

Thanks Ray, I will keep that in mind!

Cheers, Mick.

Yeah, I forgot about that little dirt track leading down to the river between Lowood and Fernvale. I had some sucess there about 5 or 6 years ago when I was last there.

At Kholo bridge, I was having some luck using 2" bloodworms, 3" pumpkin seed Minnows, and live shrimp.
    Was using 25 lb line though due to the weeds.

Where is this "little dirt track" between Lowood and fernvale? Is it a walking track or dirt road?

Cheers, Mick.

As your heading out of fernvale towards lowood, there is a steel traffic barrier on your right, there is a little track that heads down to the river in imeadiatly after the barrier.
    It is wide eoungh to drive down, but I don't know what the condition of the track would be.
    It is only about 250 meters long though, so you could always park on the side of the road and walk down to inspect the road first.
    When I was last there, the water was nearly clear, and you could see the fish before you had to cast in, but like I said, that was osme time ago.

I might head down there and have a look for myself next week, if the car allows me. lol.

Cool sounds easy to get to it its not that far away!

Cheers, Mick.

Your welcome mate. Let me know how you go.

G'day guys,
    The bass are located along the entire length of the river in the fresh. It is not only the bass that come from Wivenhoe but the river is stocked every year with around 20,000+ bass fingerlings by the Brisbane Valley Anglers Fishstocking Association. Usually a couple thousand Mary River Cod are stocked also when they are available.