Thread: Another quiet Tinaroo

Another quiet Tinaroo

Am thinking this will be a quick report due to my "mojo" being lost recently

Went up on the Saturday to have yet another lash at the Tinaroo beasts. As it seems lately within the first few casts, I had a hit from a tiddler of a fish up the Barron which boosted my thoughts of what the day would bring.

I boated one small fish shortly after of about 30 odd centimetres, before deciding to have a look for some different water. I went right up the back of the Severin Arm and found waterways that I never knew existed due to the fact that the water was not previously high enough to travel along. I spent the next few hours looking around at the water, environment and the Lowrance for water showing higher than usual water temps or something out of the norm.

I hit a spot that produced a few "footies" on Slick Rigs 110's and my fav Boney Bream over shallow water (1-10 feet). The method that I found worked was to cast into the shallows with 110 Slick Rig Pro in either Drop Bear or Evil Minnow and then do about 2-3 very fast cranks of the handle then stop, then start again. As soon as I started this retrieve after countless lure changes and retrieval methods, first cast and I was on....

I took a couple of pics before I caught this unusual fish that I only thought existed in dams down south or in the salt up here.... A bloody catfish...

The only thing was I foul hooked it in the tail after I let the slick hit the deck and wound fast for a couple. Took me awhile to work out what it was and called it for a sooty

So all in all I ended up with 4 small fish, 5 hits on Slick rigs and lost one fish of about 80-90 (turbo charged) in one patch.

Am left wondering where the big girls are. Another change of mindset is required I think

Cheers

Matt

Re: Another quiet Tinaroo

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboss View Post
    So all in all I ended up with 4 small fish, 5 hits on Slick rigs and lost one fish of about 80-90 (turbo charged) in one patch.
    To me that's a good session Matt. You may have 'lost your mojo' for the big girls but you're still catching barra!

A few small fish and a miss are much better than a doughnut!

Regs

Pete

Still nice goin' Matt. Hope the dirty rotten catty didn't stink out your boat too much I'm sure you'll have another date with some big girls very soon.

Cheers
    Paul

nice monduran trout there matt! i agree peter i would be happy with that !!!
    good stuff anyway matt good luck next trip let the big old grannies come
    Craig

Atleast you got out for a flick mate,now when i go up there and catch ZIP i won't feel half as bad........LOL

Maybe the sudden change of weather has put them down for a while?I'm sure you'll persist and dial yourself back in,good to see your post's no matter what the result.

Dan.

cant believe you let that grunter into the boat Matt, bloody slimey buggers

On a quiet day I have been known to refer to them as cattamundis, out of pure desperation for a fish.

Didnt know they were a rare sight up your way, thought the bloody things were everywhere
    cheers
    brian