Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nicest eating fish??

Nicest eating fish??

Just wanted to know whats the nicest fish you have ever eaten?

Re: Nicest eating fish??

i doint mind snapper, nanaguy and coral trout. any reef species has a good taste. i also enjoy eating whiting and bream.
    cheers
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Mackeral, trevally, snapper, and nanaguy. In that order.......I draw the line at gold fish!

probably a bit of a broad question as Peoples tastes are very different, and I reckon almost all of the known good species are great, but some different than the others, not necessarily better or worse, I know People who reckon fresh Mullet and Tailor are the best fish to eat, and some would only use them for Bait, so as you can see, there will be no clear winner, one of he better ones is good old Black Drummer, but most would not even think about eating them, and probably have not even tried them! but as mentioned all the good ones would include, Bream, Whiting, Flathead, almost all the Reef species, as well as things like john Dory and Pearlies, so there is an endless list of "best" eating (well I reckon anyway)

The number 1 for me is mangrove jack
    cheers
    greg
    IS THAT A ROD IN MY POCKET OR AM I JUST HAPPY TO BE FISHING

My recent favourite is estuary cod. Then fresh tailor, then snapper.

A lot of people may disagree, but I find sole to be one of the nicest. If you steam them whole with a hint of lemon and butter, the flesh is so tender and juicy you could eat it with a straw. The bones all just fall out.

Curried mackerel steaks on the barbie are right up there too. - completely different to sole, but I love em.

My personal favourite would have to be ocean perch from the west coast of Tassie, then maybe crayfish, flake and flathead. Oops I forgot about striped trumpeter - they would come in a close second.
    Most fish can be nice if it is cooked in the manner that best suits that fish.

Cheers
    Gene

Two words - Mahi Mahi. My wife won't eat it, she says they are too beautiful to kill. So she retires to the cabin while I bleed and ice the poor sods...

Flounder.

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Two words - Mahi Mahi. My wife won't eat it, she says they are too beautiful to kill. So she retires to the cabin while I bleed and ice the poor sods...
    Heard they dont keep too well though and should only be kept if you plan on eating them that day.

I guess that goes with a few fish, i know i dont like tailor thats not fresh but hear of people freezing 10,000 fillets they caught at fraser

What other fish are best not too freeze?

trevally arent good to freeze,
    also my best eating fish catagory,(in order)
    estury= whiting,fingermark,jack,flathead,barra
    Reef= coral trout,red emporer, mouri cod,lippa
    pelagics= macreal,cobia
    cheers,
    jamie
    Last edited by Cobia Kid; 17-04-2008 at 04:47 PM.
    Ahhhhh, To be young and Free

thanks for giving your opinion

I like whiting,bream,flathead,sweetlip,flounder and even sickle fish taste alright,all of them are equal to me
    Regards
    Dylan

I'm not much of a fish eater but am a fishing nut... i don't like strong flavoured fish (or any bones) so my pick is easily coral trout. leagues above the others...

Richard