Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Frog patterns for Barra

Re: Frog patterns for Barra

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    I've been thinking about the particular presentation in question.

the zoom horny toad, particularly when retreeved fast realy does not look much like a frog.....it realy looks to me more like a fish shape.

So I speculate that it is acting like a popper that doesn't pop, the legs acting as a vibration lure and the mechanical shape results in it running upright on the surace in a weedless presentation.

I argue that the fish probly does not identify the lure as anything specific even less as a frog, but more like a fast moving, food shaped thing that makes a noise & is problay in some form of distress.

what do you recon.?

cheers
    Yep .... gotta agree
    That why I said .... fished slow &, walk the dog ..... with frogs ( never burnt)

Nagg

The technique in question here is utilising a zoom horny toad as a vehicle, nothing else.
    In other words, barra are not identifying it as a frog. Frogs do not move that fast.
    It is purely a speed trigger matched with subtle sound and vibration that makes it very hard to resist.
    Combine this with Barra's inbuilt natural aggressive nature, in which at times will not let anything escape it, creates a lethal combination.

To say that a fizzer, or similar with a blade etc will do the same job means you have not been down this path yourself Lyndon.
    If you had, you would know that fishing extremely shallow water in pressured impoundments requires ultra quiet lure spashdown to avoid spooking wary fish, combined with a subtle but exciting presentation that has two components that
    do the following.
    1. More or less force barra to strike regardless of its mood or hunger.
    2. Push a Barra to the very edge of its capabilities in which they become airborn on the strike and swim faster than they ever need to in order to eat.
    3. Excite barra to a point where it forgets where it is, forgets its own survival mechanism and exposes itself to extreme dangers it normally wouldnt.

You have suggested that we went out there and in "one arvo discovered the toad because our lures fouled weed and we wound it in fast".
    What I can tell you is an incredible, long thought out process that required some serious banging of heads, making protoypes and long periods of time on the water.
    I tried blades, tango's, scumfrogs all the known topwaters I could find, and some others that one of my mates made, as well as some of my own but I knew they wouldnt work because of the environment, ie. shallow weedy string water and super wary fish in alert mode. I still tried it though to be sure.
    It had to be and upward semi exposed hook, a super strong one at that but light enough in gauge to pin fish. It also needed a slim profile in order to swim fast and track straight. It also had to be light and physically small in order to minimise splashdown. It also had to have nothing to foul it underneath like hooks, and be able to right itself upon landing or be able to work right side up or down.
    It had to be able to be pulled through and over the top of serious weed growth without fouling to maximise exposure. It still had to be able to hook barra, a species notorious for its skill and difficulty to hook. (esp on weedless worm hooks!) The result was a hook up rate better than I have ever seen on topwater Barra.

My discoveries are made through a process of elimination, work ethic and time on the water. Anyone who knows me knows that. That way you test and challenge recognised thoeries.
    I dont watch other peoples "dvd's" and take their idea's as you have suggested. I bounce idea's off friends, identify with them which in turn gives me confidence in what I am doing.
    Thats the only bit that annoyed me about your post. You dont have a dam clue what process we went through to come up with the toad to do the job, yet you found it prudent to say I copied it and dont give credit to pioneers.
    Im not worried about anything else you said, water off a ducks back, but the thought process and physical effort involved was monumental.

Here are some pics of the track we went down during the discovery, some of these prototypes are crude, some of them never made it back to the boat.
    The ones that made it back to the boat were eliminated, the ones that got eaten were the ones we went home and went, why did it eat it?
    To cut a long story short, the zoom horny toad had the right attributes, and became the money bait.
    Cheers
    Jas
    Last edited by the_matrix; 27-04-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GORDON BRYAN View Post
    Just a few lines in defence of the young fishermen and women out there.

We all read their articles watch their DVDs and as far as I am concerned they are still inventing the new wheels and we are crazy not to listen.

I am certain that it was a young engineer that designed my baitcaster reel, mobile phone, my computer and if I want service or advice on these then it is always a young person who talks me through the process.

Sure, when I read or listen to a young person today on any subject he has experience in, I hear a lot of what I have heard or experienced before but, I also listen for the new stuff, the little patches of brilliance.

I have a young friend who is a saturation diver. They have invented more wheels in that profession than you would need on a B Double.

Myself, I am 65 and will not retire, (slow down and play a lot.) Most of my clients are half my age and I love working amongst them.

Most of my mates are retired ane spend there days studing there navel and driving there wife crazy. We sit and talk about the old days and Grand kids.

But I tell, you when I am not there talking to them you know where I will be. Out there with my son or son in law, hearing aids turned up pushing into a strong head wind, lisening to them and loving it.

Regards Gordon
    I very much agree with your words Gordon, I too am in my 60's and worked in a very High Stress area with young people, I no longer work in that area due to Psychiatric diagonosis of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (burn out)after 37yrs in the Emergency Services. While younger people have little experience to offer they make up with Great to Brilliant ideas and many ideas I have already experienced I loved working with the younger staff members, We must listen too them as they are the Future, On the other hand they hung on to my every word and listened to what I had to say, There are alot of Semi Retired to Retired people out there with lots of experience and knowledge that is lost to the world. In conclusion we should be listening to both sides of the coin, I know I listen to and evaluate what others have to say and from that make up my own mind, Anyhow enough rambling. For all of u younger people out there keep writing and having your say on this forum I for one look forward to that, Cheers Whitto
    Last edited by Whitto; 27-04-2008 at 07:10 AM.

Hi Guys
    This thread sounds like blokes in the pub after half a dozen beers one Guy has all the Barra knowledge and practical Barra experience and the other Guy has all the practical experience with Barra knowledge you both agree to disagree its like one of the sayings that is getting tosed around on here you both are car tyres but with different tried.

But if we readers put the two tyres together and make one great tyre then us readers would then revall in the all the great information coming out.

After more beer you both are at each other throat and not achieving anything it is a syndrome call know it all-is-um it is frequent found amongst the male raise in Australian fishing scene there should be a DVD made of it would be a great buy funny.

I think some people some times read into it a little bit too much instead of reading and learning the inner male syndrome comes out this is a chat sight not the local pub.

But at the end of it all there is some fantastic reading to be had and I have enjoyed all the information that as been put up and will be definately be trying it all out next time I'm up that way sooner then later.
    The only way I can ease the barra bug is to get on here and read all the good stuff and look at the great photos posted on the sight keep it all coming.

Regards Bannana eating KING KONG

thats a useluss post if i have ever read one king kong? sure they are bannanas you are eating...............
    purcho

Thanks for the positive feed back two fold your answer is just what I am talking about Pub-chat.

All I wont to do is read great information about fishing tips and experiences and leave out all the bitching.

I was talking to a guy the other day that went to a Bass fishing night in Brisbane and the Bass pro guy said he does not think of going onto fishing chat sights any more to report fishing tips for the above rezone and he said that he was not the only person to say that.

My above thread is all about reading reports and learning some great stuff without having to go through all the bitch stuff to get to it.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Jason/Lyndon they are both write great threads and help me and every other Barra mad fisho out greatly with the amount of knowledge you both have so you dont need to prove anything to anyone thanks for the great threads keep them coming.

Regards King Kong

P.S Bananas are very good for you specially when you are as big as the photo left.

We are never too old or too young to learn ....... If we choose to dismiss what is being put forward it is our loss only! ...... If we take it on board we become more knowledgeable!
    Afterall ..... The best fisher people are the ones that can overcome a given situation / scenario / problem...... at any given moment!
    I know I've got a new piece to the puzzle ....... Anyone got some more

Cheers

Nagg

Hi NAGG well said spot on.

Regards king kong have you seen my bananas

Quote Originally Posted by KING KONG View Post
    Hi NAGG well said spot on.

Regards king kong have you seen my bananas
    I didn't even know they had NET access at Taronga Zoo ..... I'm still trying to get my head around communicating with a Gorilla

Nagg

Thanks for the laugh NABB that was a very good reply.
    Did you manage to go out fishing on the long weekend and use any frogs.
    My brother was up at Awoonga this weekend and manage a couple of Barra nun on frogs but.
    Regards King Kong

P.S Gorillas were around before humans hunting and gathering now I have to learn to use the internet to get food.

Thanks for the laugh NABB that was a very good reply.
    Did you manage to go out fishing on the long weekend and use any frogs.
    My brother was up at Awoonga this weekend and manage a couple of Barra nun on frogs but.
    Regards King Kong

P.S Gorillas were around before humans hunting and gathering now I have to learn to use the internet to get food.

Dont call me NABB ..... Thats a bank!
    OO OO ....ooo . OO OO OO ( you can understand that .... cant you )
    Mate oo ooo ooo I put up a post in Estuary reports ( Sydney Breamin)

no frogs ..... just prongs

Nagg

SORRY
    NAGG my mistake past bed time setting on my bum all day makes me tied I have two little monkeys to take care of here under 4 years old.

Did anyone have a go at you'sing any frogs on the long weekend be very interesting to see what the feed back is.

Regards King Kong

SORRY
    NAGG my mistake past bed time setting on my bum all day makes me tied I have two little monkeys to take care of here under 4 years old.

Did anyone have a go at you'sing any frogs on the long weekend be very interesting to see what the feed back is.

Regards King Kong
    I heard that you ( Kibabu .... Isn't it?_ has a new youngun
    Mate .... I've got some frogs coming from the US ... to play with at Tinaroo in a couple weeks

Nagg ( not Nabb )

Thats great can you take photo of the frogs and post it I'd like to see the difference to the ones we get here.
    You luck bugger heading up to Tinaroo been there once fished of the rocks no luck but so we went fishing up the Daintree river for Barra and Jack and that was great fun I would of loved to have frog with me then would of gotten smashed.

Regards King Kong

First i would like to say well done to Jas for using a new lure and technique to catch some shallow weed lurking Awoonga barra.Cant wait to see the DVD.How many fish have been caught using this method at Awoonga since the big rain.Was it just a flash in the pan?Will this technique work in other shallow water situations?Or will the weed have to be at a similar stage as before the rain for the technique to work consistantly?
    Last edited by SQUIDDA; 27-04-2008 at 08:50 PM.