Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Fish Do You Eat

How Much Fish Do You Eat

After reading recent posts bout releasing fish,killing fish etc. it got me wondering how regularly we all eat fish. We have a feed of whiting once or maybe twice(rarely) a week. i guess roughly 500 gms so thats only about 25 kg fish/year for the family.Do other ppl eat heaps more. this being the case three or four big cod,jew or barra would feed us all year. I guess some people eat a lot more.
    Last edited by chewy01; 15-04-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Re: How Much Fish Do You Eat

We aim for at least 2, preferably 3 feeds a week.
    Thats my wife and our 2 teenagers, we'd deck a kilo of fillet each feed easy.
    Then down the road we have our daughter and her 2 pre-schoolers, its always nice to give them a feed as well.
    Never a problem with over-supply, when we've got enough, I don't fish again until its all gone.
    Simple, but that's my personal ethic.
    I love to fish so it does take quite a bit of self discipline, but given that I prefer to fish at night, it isn't that hard to just stay in bed!
    Cheers.

i don't really eat that much fish,i go fishing fortnightly,sometimes weekly but we would probably have fish once a week,but then again we aren't catching whiting too often,we would catch fish with a bit more meat on them as well so that would change the kilograms but its not like we eat it five times a week
    Regards
    Dylan

i like to catch and eat my fish if they are well above legal, and i only take one fish cause i dont need 5 of them to freeze and eat later on when the flesh is mushy.

but if i dont catch my own i usually go to woolys or somthing and get some flake or crimson sea perch, but the prices are always high. So i guess i eat fish around about once every 2-3 weeks.

Cammo
    Last edited by Cammy; 15-04-2008 at 05:14 PM.
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

I would eat fish/seafood everyday as opposed to other "meats" having said that I don't have access to too much here in the bush............LOL.........
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

How often I eat fish depends on how often I go fishing. At the moment, we eat fish about once a week. My 17 month old son just loves it.

I like to eat some of the good table fish I catch myself. I rarely freeze any fillets as we prefer the fresh ones so this usually limits my catch. Sometimes, if I manage to catch a few, we'll invite family and friends around for dinner. It's always a good night.

I can't bring myself to buy the imported stuff from the supermarkets and the fish and chip shop just isn't as good as what you catch yourself.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

3 to 4 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by For Steve View Post
    How often I eat fish depends on how often I go fishing. At the moment, we eat fish about once a week. My 17 month old son just loves it.

I like to eat some of the good table fish I catch myself. I rarely freeze any fillets as we prefer the fresh ones so this usually limits my catch. Sometimes, if I manage to catch a few, we'll invite family and friends around for dinner. It's always a good night.

I can't bring myself to buy the imported stuff from the supermarkets and the fish and chip shop just isn't as good as what you catch yourself.
    I'm with you there,nothing better then catching it your self
    Regards
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    3 to 4 times a week.
    same.......................

I don't eat red meat some 4 to 5 times a week and if ready available up to 7 days a week
    Which is why chase freezer fillers like big spanish and black king
    We don't buy fish
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Hey Guys,
    We try to eat fish at least once a week - depends how much we have in the freezer.

Try to eat the fish fresh caught when possible ie; within a couple of days of being caught

I am actually in the middle of cooking some crumbed snapper fillets. They were caught 2 weeks ago and tonight is the last of it. Yummmmmmmm.

Mark

Good work mate,we made some fish cakes with sickle fish last night,they taste superb
    Last edited by chief 1; 15-04-2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Stupid mistake
    Regards
    Dylan

Depending on wether i've been fishing or not. The jew i caught the other week filled the freezer with 10kg of fillets. Along with the bream fillets in there we'll eat fish 4 times a week. If i'm not catching fish then we don't eat fish. Its as simple as that, the only time i eat fish when i havent caught it is when we get it off mates.

4+ times a week,

Not nearly enough!

If I had my way it would 4 or 5 times a week, but then again I am the fisherman so I can't blame anyone else

Cheers

Dave