Thread: Shallow Tempest to the Cape 13/4/08

Shallow Tempest to the Cape 13/4/08

Well what a cracker of a day ! The weather that is not the fishing for us at least I wasn't going to make a post but I haven't wet a line since October last year

Got the call from a work mate that i'd not been fishing with before on Friday and the call was made to go fishing around the Cape or out off Mooloolaba.

We decided to head out of Spinikar and head around the Cape at 4:30am this morning. Trip out was a little lumpy both having 5.2m boats but the day turned out to be a cracker. 3 of the 4 forcasters I look at, had winds at or below 10kts so I wasn't detered.

Fishing was slow and both boats split up soon after getting there to do our own exploring around Shallow Tempest. I now know why after 2 hours of fishing we caught up & we had only caught a plauge of undersized fish and my other work mates had 10 keepers !

We again split up and started fishing North towards the Cape and managed a 44cm Squire to me and a 36cm Grassie to Aza. We must of caught and released 40 fish with 3 borderline which went back in. We caught Squire, Rat Kingies, Rat Grassies, Trigger fish, Pearlies, Mosses Perch, trevally, small Cod and a trout of some sort.

Back at the ramp by 4pm and a call to my work mates had them with a final tally of 17 between 3 of them. We had 3 onboard as well and fished 3 hours longer for only 2 keepers !

Oh well ............ it was a great day to be on the water and finally wet a line. Tommorow i'll get a ribbing for my poor porfomance A few pics for the sake of it !
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 13-04-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Re: Shallow Tempest to the Cape 13/4/08

mate i dont think that you were the only one not to catch fish today i heard i few boats north of mooloolaba were not getting anything at all either, there wa no run getting to the bottom in 50m with no lead

Good work Damo, nice to see you getting out there.

Don't feel too bad, we hit the southern GC for one dropped hoo on Saturday.

Mate we fished from east of south passage bar up to east of flinders for one keeper and covered a lot of ground using bait and plastics for not much at all. There were good shows on the sounder but the fish weren't coming to the party. Good to see you and your mates did bag a few though.

Cheers Adds...

Skip,

Agree the current wasn't an issue quite tame really. What's the saying "no run, no fun"

Damo,

Still owe you for putting me onto my first Hoo. You should head up for a week at 1770 !

Adds,

Same here, covered heaps of ground for little result. Even tried those Nuk-chook thingos and the only thing interested were the undersized Pearlies.

Next time head nth east when you get round bribie - plenty of snappies there this morning
    Last edited by Greg P; 13-04-2008 at 09:03 PM.

Oh well,,,, you get that sometimes. No mater how much effort it just does not happen. I find I never do any good when it is really calm.

Was talking to Chong on Saturday and he said you were heading out. I picked the wrong day. Went out on Friday. Not a lot either, and I had wind to contend with as well.

Cheech

Hi Black_Rat,

I am really glad you brought the ice to keep your fish cool. Some days are like that. Thanks for the post. I don't feel so bad now.

Frank OO

I think you hit the nail on the head there Black Rat, "no run no fun".

Was out there in a mates new boat and even though we had some electronics dramas which doesn't help finding fish, I snagged up on the bottom in 85m and held us anchored for 5 minutes trying to bust off!

Lots of undersize fish but got a small feed of reefies and kept an 8 kilo kingie for dinner

Scoota...

some good shots there mate! and it looked like a nice day!

Same story for us yesterday, fished 29's and 32's east of moreton for one cobe 5kg and a couple of squire. Beautifull day but no wind or any current. Ah well, beats work.

Cheers Wal

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
    Same story for us yesterday, fished 29's and 32's east of moreton for one cobe 5kg and a couple of squire. Beautifull day but no wind or any current. Ah well, beats work.

Cheers Wal
    So true Wal, it beats work and was just great to be out there !

To rub salt into the wounds I got these photos from them in an email on Monday even Scottys kids were laughing at us but I blocked that out
    And yes also got a ribbing
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 15-04-2008 at 07:03 PM.

On a day like that, its always a good day out - regardless of how many fish you get. Its great to be on the water these days with all this bl......dy wind around. - its hard to get out sometimes. A very nice photo in the last post of the fish - well done. Cheers,

Damo,

still looked bloody nice out there mate just the same, catch up soon

mike
    Tangles KFC