Thread: Show us your Vampires!

Show us your Vampires!

Hi Guys,
    I thought I might show a few of my vampire color variations that I have been playing with.

In the top left is John's original purple and black beast. Others are some colors that I have been working with- I have been tying them with Krystal Flash instead of the kinky fibre originally used. I find this gives them a nice 'flick' when worked with short sharp strips. I reckon they are also quicker and easier to tie.

C'mon, show us your vampires!

Cheers
    Matt

Re: Show us your Vampires!

Very nice Matt.
    The Barra vampire is a wicked fly up here at Awoonga.
    Cheers
    Jas

nice mate
    have you caught much with them?

yes it would be good to know what you can catch on them?
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Hi Mat,
    What size and pattern are you tying these on. Think I have tied my vampires to bulky in the past. Keen to try something different at maroon.

Jeff.

Jas,
    Have you got any pics of a Barra Vampire? Are they just the same as the Bass Vampire, only bigger?

Whiting Wizard and Bream Buster, I mainly fish the dams, so have caught most species in the Dams down here on them- Bass, Goldens, Silvers, Murray Cod, Eel Tails and Spangled Perch.

Bass Buster- I made that mistake when I first started tying my own flies- tying them too big.

I use a Gamakastu B10s in size 2. I have also tied up a few in size 4 that I will try on the weekend that look pretty good. Schoefields original was tied on a size 4.

I also use the bare minimal material on the wing. Maybe 12-15 strands of Krystal flash. They seem to be working pretty good at the moment. I was getting a lot of of hits on the flies when I was tying them bigger. I think the fish were hitting the wing material on the drop and not hooking up.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Jas,
    Have you got any pics of a Barra Vampire? Are they just the same as the Bass Vampire, only bigger?
    Matt
    Matt,
    Yeh mate, not that much bigger though. I dont have any left actually they were originals that schoey gave me a few years back.
    A common misconception is that you need big flies for big barra.
    Not true.
    Cheers
    Jas

Great Thread Matt ,
    There are so many variations , these are the ones I use all on Gammy B10S's these ones are #4 and 1/0 . I use the bigger one usually in the colder months when they are smashing the Bonys , but I reckon the variation of Schofeilds original is still hard to beat . I won the Bass on fly with the smaller one , it was a tough bite and the sparser I went the better the response , a lot of guys (including my deckie) were trying everything in the box but I have nothing but confidence with this pattern, and left it on the whole time and came up trumps . If I can't feed them this its pretty tough .

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Flyfisho,
    Thansk for the pics. Just a few questions-
    What color chenelle have you used in the smaller model? Have you used kinky fibre for the wing and tail?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks for the pics and the oil on the vampiers. I will cut down both on body and hook. Will put a few together and give them a bash at maroon mid week. Thanks again for what works well and where. I am keen to have a crack at baroon pocket dam with fly. When the first of the wet came this one went over early. Don,t know how that has effected the bass population. Was thinking of tackleing this one under paddle power with fly. Any goss on this one?

Jeff

Jeff,
    I have never been to Baroon Pocket- cant give you any help there.

Maroon usually fishes pretty well on fly- although just lately they are very lure shy from the comps that are on there. There is going to be 4 comps on there in a 5 week period.

Cheers,
    Matt

Matt ,
    I use slinky fibre for the wings , not that different from kinky fibre , less is more really applies for this material as the bulkier you go the more unbalanced the fly gets. The chenille is U.V black , I either use this or just plain black , the results are pretty much the same . I have noticed a difference when not using glow in the dark inserts in the eyes , the glow in the dark gets more eats.

Jeff,
    Baroon pocket fishes well and has little pressure , I fish this place with Will (Basskid), and have no problem catching fish on fly and have pantsed Will while he is using conventional gear ( Hi Will ). But seriously its worth the paddle or take the combustion motor off and you can get around with your electric .Spewin the maroon comp clashes with the Bribie Tuna comp , it would have been great to catch up again, maybe at our Bass on fly comp in November .

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

test Test TEST