Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mud Island secret

Re: Mud Island secret

There has been some interesting comments and a lot of confusion from anglers I know and respect on this thread. The main question seems to be - why hide a specific location yet advocate no closed areas, no green zones?
    Let me give you my understanding of it all.
    The problem is concentration on a specific pinpoint area – not general fishing in an area.
    Consider this - Why do we promote the release of large flathead (breeders) when we congratulate catches of whiting over 40cm – also female breeders?
    The reason is the ease of capture – big breeding flathead congregate in a small area close to bar entrances once a year – they are easy prey.
    Big whiting do not follow similar habits – they are not easy prey.
    This is the same reason many anglers and magazines will not give out GPS marks, because it promotes ‘pulse’ fishing – people hit the GPS mark because it is easy to find and a known hot spot.
    This is the same reason there are 50 boats on the Harry Atkinson every weekend – because it’s a known spot!
    Lots of Sunday anglers wet a line dispersed around Mud Island every weekend but given a GPS mark from a known expert, they will congregate on it till the cows come home because that’s the spot **** said he fishes.
    (Interestingly, those that catch the really big fish are usually the ones doing the hard yards researching / prospecting and searching – not those following the reports they have read.)
    Closing large areas with green zones and not disclosing specific pinpoint areas are two different things.
    In hindsight, I would never have posted this thread in the first place but at the time, I was told this sink hole was going to be headline news on all three stations – including GPS marks and underwater footage of the fish.
    I wanted to get in first and ask anglers to show some restraint.
    I think we did manage to prevent some detailed info from going to air and that will prevent a lot of casual anglers from going there.

Nugget ><>

Well I hardly thought it was a secret. Ask any commercial fisherman and they will tell you all about it. In fact, I headed over that hole a few weeks ago and I am sure it was on the navionics chart. Is it the hole half way (just over) to moreton, kinda in line from mud to the big sandhills?

Aaaaaah nope

Can only hope everyone goes to hole all weekend leaving the rest of the bay quiet.

Nothing new about that area. There are better maps around that are able to let you know what sort of bottom is in the bay - wont be giving those ones up but

I can't seem to be able to download it could someone send it to me please.
    sgbarber@dodo.com.au

Cheers

What a piss poor group of anglers, or should I say danglers, we would be to all flock to this latest "secret hot spot", thinking its the holy grail.
    fair dinkum, I can "catch" a big nobby at Scarborough, any one want the marks, funnily enuf they seem to line up with the fish market at Morgans.

Pick any spot behind a bar and you will find a good hole! Holes are everywhere!

Best thing for this thread is to start abusing each other so it will get shut down. Seems to be going nowhere.

People will find it and fish it,, It's a no brainer,been happening since the dawn of time.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Yeah I don't think it is as big a secret as a lot would like to think.
    Thousands of boats have sounded every square inch of the bay.
    That particular hole is on my updated GPS nav chart (same as the navy use).
    I never knew it was full of fish, even though I have fished it before.
    But that could be a reflection ofmy fishing ability, or it could have something to do with the fact I never get out of bed before about 9 on the weekend and have the boat back in the shed before dark.

See yas all out there Sunday, maybe we could have a M&G there, I'll bring some beers.

Yesterday there was a reply on this thread
    that had 3 links attached to it.
    They now seem to have dissappeared.
    Is there a reason for them going.????????
    Graeme

We Have Fished (and Released ) There Also, Its A Nice Big Hole And Yes Large Fish But Not Superduper Fishing Or Anything If People Go There Trying To Catch Fish Like Nowhere Else They Will Be Dissapointed, There Is Another Two Of These Holes Further South With The Same Size And Same Fish Species In It, We Dont Even Bother Fishing Them , Have Driven Straight Over The Top Of Them Time And Time Again As They Are Not As Special As The Tv And Radio Made Out, It Should Be Made A Green Zone Right Now, If They Want To Protect Fishes And Green Zones That We As Fishermen Know Are The Wrong Areas Then A Spot Like These Should Be Made Imediatly

I think us fishos are a responsible bunch and this is much ado about nothing. I don't even think many will bother to even think about it's location.......................................... .the fact that the site has suddenly closed for exceeding it's bandwidth is pure coincidence

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

personally i don't give a sh!t about the sink hole, i didn't see it on tv nor am i trying to find the links to a website. I am with BR65 there is other spots to go and catch great fish and i bet right now there are 50 boats coming and going from that location all trying to hook the big one then brag about it. i am fine with ordinary people that go out to catch big fish but when just new comers come to a spot not knowing anything about it it annoys me, some people have worked haard for these spots now half of SEQ knows about it.

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    There has been some interesting comments and a lot of confusion from anglers I know and respect on this thread. The main question seems to be - why hide a specific location yet advocate no closed areas, no green zones?
    Let me give you my understanding of it all.
    The problem is concentration on a specific pinpoint area – not general fishing in an area.
    Consider this - Why do we promote the release of large flathead (breeders) when we congratulate catches of whiting over 40cm – also female breeders?
    The reason is the ease of capture – big breeding flathead congregate in a small area close to bar entrances once a year – they are easy prey.
    Big whiting do not follow similar habits – they are not easy prey.
    This is the same reason many anglers and magazines will not give out GPS marks, because it promotes ‘pulse’ fishing – people hit the GPS mark because it is easy to find and a known hot spot.
    This is the same reason there are 50 boats on the Harry Atkinson every weekend – because it’s a known spot!
    Lots of Sunday anglers wet a line dispersed around Mud Island every weekend but given a GPS mark from a known expert, they will congregate on it till the cows come home because that’s the spot **** said he fishes.
    (Interestingly, those that catch the really big fish are usually the ones doing the hard yards researching / prospecting and searching – not those following the reports they have read.)
    Closing large areas with green zones and not disclosing specific pinpoint areas are two different things.
    In hindsight, I would never have posted this thread in the first place but at the time, I was told this sink hole was going to be headline news on all three stations – including GPS marks and underwater footage of the fish.
    I wanted to get in first and ask anglers to show some restraint.
    I think we did manage to prevent some detailed info from going to air and that will prevent a lot of casual anglers from going there.

Nugget ><>
    How true

Foggy