Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mud Island secret

Re: Mud Island secret

Efforts have been made in a last ditch effort to stop as much info as possible being aired.

As stated above, if it's news and a media outlet can gain $'s from it, they will. Morals, ethics and commonsense disappear quicker than a cold beer on a hot day.

Stay tuned.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

This story in gunna be on the news because the people that did the study, had to make it public. And how do ya make things public.... in the media.

I cant see chanel 10 making any extra money by airing this one story

I think it is fairly obvious Nugget was throwing out red herrings with his refference to Mud Island - I don't blame him.
    Ferral

Channel Ten News are about to run the story now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Efforts have been made in a last ditch effort to stop as much info as possible being aired.

As stated above, if it's news and a media outlet can gain $'s from it, they will. Morals, ethics and commonsense disappear quicker than a cold beer on a hot day.

Stay tuned.

Phill
    I am of the belief that it is perfectly reasonable for them to release the information regarding the spot. It would not be fair to withhold information just so a few fishermen who think they own the spot can keep it all to themselves.

I understand the concerns that the place will turn into a money pot, but you would think that anyone with the means to get there, or who will frequent the area would have already known about it.

The ocean's are everyone's, and so is the government, so lets be reasonable.

EDit: I would also like to laugh at channel 10, who also quoted it as being "just off mud island". Who got to them?
    Last edited by theclick; 10-04-2008 at 05:36 PM.
    Perception Swing Flatty and bream angler
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

Can anyone tell me the name of the site they said that lets you print the map. I wouldnt mind diving it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Amokk View Post
    Can anyone tell me the name of the site they said that lets you print the map. I wouldnt mind diving it ?
    http://www.seqcatchments.com.au/miscellaneous.html . Bottom link
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

" I am of the belief that it is perfectly reasonable for them to release the information regarding the spot. It would not be fair to withhold information just so a few fishermen who think they own the spot can keep it all to themselves. "

Not going to get into an argument here, but really, if you knew that this ( and a few others ) were holding major breeding stocks for certain species in Moreton Bay, would it be appropriate to release this to every amateur and wanna professional ?

Sure it is public property, but so is a mountain of other info and one has to search for it, not have it shoved in ya face on the News service.

Further, the vast majority that do know about it, DO NOT take fish from there. They understand the importance of these areas.

At any rate, it was on the news and now everyone knows how to get the map. bugga !

phill

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    " I am of the belief that it is perfectly reasonable for them to release the information regarding the spot. It would not be fair to withhold information just so a few fishermen who think they own the spot can keep it all to themselves. "

Not going to get into an argument here, but really, if you knew that this ( and a few others ) were holding major breeding stocks for certain species in Moreton Bay, would it be appropriate to release this to every amateur and wanna professional ?

Sure it is public property, but so is a mountain of other info and one has to search for it, not have it shoved in ya face on the News service.

Further, the vast majority that do know about it, DO NOT take fish from there. They understand the importance of these areas.

At any rate, it was on the news and now everyone knows how to get the map. bugga !

phill
    Mate i understand, and agree that more should be done to protect breeders. By the same token, any bugger can look at these forums, or listen to podcasts about how to go about catching big breeding flathead during certain times of the year. Chances are, if you put the effort in, you will get one given the information you are given. Should we be targeting big breeders like that anyway, even if it is c&r? Probably not good to go purposely targeting, and hauling up any breeding fish, as im sure it will stress the population. Is that information censored? Nope... it comes with a disclaimer, but its still aired on Tv, on podcasts, in forums ect. Same deal.

Thing is, these days information is becoming more free, and as a bi-product, any walley can get their hands on it. We just have to trust that the right things will be done, both with the hole, and with my case for the big breeder flatties.
    Last edited by theclick; 10-04-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

Just had a quick look at the draft zoning map from the epa, I think that it might lie within MNP14 which is destined to be a green zone...

simon

I do understand all the catch and release ethics, and the need to protect breeders. But if im fishing anywhere in the bay, and land a 80cm snapper, im taking that baby home to feed my family. (please note my pb is 43cm)

I also find it very hard to believe that everyone thats ever fished that spot, have never kept a fish.
    Last edited by SummerTrance; 10-04-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add pb

Nope, is NOT in the MNP14. but maybe it should be.

No worries ' click ' but you may be very interested to know about the big flatties. PM sent.

Phill

I am reasonably happy with what went to air in the end.
    I made efforts to prevent the story going to air - I'd like to thank Lucky Phill who got involved and tried to prevent some information being released as well.
    I think we made a difference – you might notice no Lat/Long on the chart and no GPS marks on the screen – I think that in itself will help water down the onslaught.
    My fishing partner Garry Fraser who was interviewed by Ten got the environmental issue across.
    And yes, it was referred to on Ten as “near Mud Island” - I can claim that was my doing – for the same reasons I referred to it as “off Mud Island” on Ausfish – I was throwing out red herrings, hoping the maps would not be clear enough to pinpoint a location.
    The bottom line is… it is not easy to get to; you will run aground, polish props and not find it.
    Forget the sink hole, there are more secrets revealed in those 3D maps than 100years of sounding the Bay would ever reveal.

Nugget ><>

I find it very hard to believe all these guys that say they have never taken a fish from there.
    Marty

some things are better left secret or unknown . just my opinion.