Thread: Darwin - Any better place?

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Darwin - Any better place?

Was a bit lazy and didnt post when i got back, but was up there on the 8th of January and back on the 18th.

Just after the cyclone had hit, trees were over everywhere, rubbish and pretty much anything was everywhere. Stayed ata hotel for the first 5 days, then stayed at a mates place for a further 4 days before returning home to brisse

Great place up there, even though the humidty is through the roof, it would be something i could put up with if i had the chance to live up there. Having cold showers and then hoping out to find yourself in a never ending cycle of trying to dry yourself as you continued to sweat just from the simple act of attempting to dry yourself.

Anyway first 5 days spent LB, was at the wharfs, and along the waterfront, didn't manage to get to creeks or creek mouths. Also could not get to East Point as powerlines had fallen right at the entrance, did try east arm, etc.
    These first 5 days the fish eluded me, no not really apparently the cyclone had turned everything off, before the cyclone fishing was great but then the cyclone hit and not a fish to be found. All i could manage was a catfish and in total about 3 hits.

Last 5 days got out onto 2 charters, they had only just started going back out again due to the conditions. Had only come back down to around 15knots with a decent swell. And went out in mates tinny. Tried the catalina's and creeks close to, for 1 baby barra that was caught in the cast net and a couple of little sharks
    As for the charters first charter i was the first person to catch a fish
    but was the only one for the whole day
    not even an undersized fish, bits of pilchard were being brought back up untouched, could not lose a bait. I was happy though, was a good jewie,
    my first one 2.
    second charter just a few reefies, constant action all day made for a good change though.

Some piccies attached, Puts a new perspective on tidal run up there two, huge tides. that croc was headin towards that crab pot that was high n dry. shark been lucky to go 20cm - new born...

Re: Darwin - Any better place?

that first pic is one of the best places to fish in darwin, iron ore wharf. i use to smash that place as a kid befor the sacuraty gards got tuff stoped us fishing there, the amount of fish i got off there was mind blowing with heaps of queen fish, jews, sweet lip, macs, tuna, cod and every winter the big pikey bream school up there in there hundreds and will keep ya ocupided for hours. watch out 4 the 4 big gropers that live under there as well as they love to steal ya big golden snappers as ya bringing them up and the big tiger sharks that live there to do the same thing. there over 4 meters so dont go swimming. the place where you took the pic is good too. iv pulled lots of skinnies there to on live mullet, herring and whitting. and i got a 15kg mac there on a spanish flag(there the gun live bait 4 macs up there)
    figjam :wink: