Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Re: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

As promised, pics of my tank and another couple of my loachy. You will notice that the gravel is all over the place, that is due to the eartheathers, hence the name. They sift the gravel for food. The pleco has done most of the other trashing, most of that wood was standing up.
    I am starting to feel like a little f'n worm on a big f'n hook with all of these big bad boys coming out of the woodwork. Anyway hope you enjoy.....
    Last edited by Deestingray; 08-04-2008 at 09:35 PM.
    I like fishing

nice tank deestingray, especially the gravel, i love the black and white mixture but more os the black.

Also some top notch looking marine life.

And that jack how big did he go?

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

the jack was 36cm when he passed away cammy

Cammy, Deestingray, that clown does look unusual. I have 2 younger ones and 5 that I've had for 10 yrs now and they look good for another 10. I found it nigh on impossible to get one to live longer than 2 yrs in the UK and I concentrated on 'em here, because they've always been a favourite of mine. I let them down with the water changes though, so they aren't as big as I could've got 'em to be, although a couple do run to 15cm.

I was over the moon with one of them as one of it's stripes stopped halfway down it's flank...............in effect, it was more like a spot than a stripe. I thought it was really rare as I have kept fish for 30 yrs and spent 8 of those in the trade and had never seen one like that. Anyways, when they got to about 8 yrs old I thought, "I better get a few more 'cause they seem so much happier in groups of 5 or more, and if a couple die, the new ones will replace 'em". I got home from Smiths and dropped the two littlies in the tank.............and one of 'em was marked exactly the same as my "rarity"! They say by the laws of mathematics that somewhere in the world, there should be someone who looks just like you.........must apply to fish as well

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Hey kingtin,

I too have been keeping fish for a number of years, and all of the loaches that I have ever had have all been different in some way or another. I used to have one that moved the bars as it grew, the fins were a bright red when I got it, and as it got older, the black bars gradually engulfed them and left a red hook of colour on it's anal fin. As a fish though, they rock!!! Early on, the amount of times I would come home and find the big one lying upside down, suspended and not moving used to make my heart jump, it really is a tripper.
    As for the water, I have heard that they are pretty happy in high alkaline hard water for africans, however I like to keep mine slightly acidic and soft as I believe it is closer to where they come from in Indo.
    Did you know that like a lot of freshwater fish, there are slight differences from the area that they come from. I found this link a while back that is quite informative, hope it helps...
    http://www.wetpetz.com/clownloach.htm
    I like fishing

Good day,
    Dont have any left.
    Used all my goldfish in Tassies Lake Cresent as livies a few years back.LOL
    Cheers
    Reidy

Some great tanks here!! Will have to look into posting a pic's of my 2 tanks..

Cheers
    Brandon...

Quote Originally Posted by Deestingray View Post
    Hey kingtin,

Did you know that like a lot of freshwater fish, there are slight differences from the area that they come from. I found this link a while back that is quite informative, hope it helps...
    http://www.wetpetz.com/clownloach.htm
    Thanks for that. Mate, when I first came to Oz, I had a community tank. The first year I lost the lot in the heat wave, and the 2nd year, the same. I find the clown loach will tolerate temperatures far above what they supposedly do, and more so than most fish. I have comets and a yellowbelly in with them and they survive any amount of heat, without me having to cool the tank.

I also have a fair bit of wood and bark in there, and the water is coloured with tannin so I'm sure that it is fairly acidic, though I haven't tested it. They are, what they are called,..........clowns If they lie on their side or back, and look like they're dying, then you're assured that they're alright

I'm itching to try my new IS lens which means I can hand hold the camera as low as 1/10sec so I'll try and get some pics later (I hate flash).

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

heres a bit of info on differnt markings loaches can have. LOACH MARKINGS

I recon its rare to get a loach with the "jigsaw" appearence, as i have never seen one in real life.

at work we have a decent size loach with spots in between his lines.

Cammo

OK, here's the loach. The camera is hand held at 1/8 sec, so they aren't as sharp as they shoul;d be. That said, the new IS lenses are brilliant if the subject isn't moving.

This is the big feller, 10yr old with an upside down saddle. Notice the white banding around the black.........this comes and goes with his mood

Him again

Smaller feller with saddle

6 of 'em with the little feller with the saddle at top

Little feller again. The yellowbelly is at the top.

Last edited by kingtin; 09-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Here is my tank, I'm almost too embarssed too post a pic because its so dirty at the moment! People love too rub there fingers on the glass so jack has a go!,

its a 6x2.5x2

'tank mates are a mangrove jack, Jardini? saratoga, and a sail fin plecco!
    *edit* oh and 'lunch' He's a potty mullet,
    Fun fish too own!
    Last edited by Paradoxx; 09-04-2008 at 05:13 PM.

nice jack there how old is he?
    "True Blue"

nice tank, nice fish, paradoxx thanks for showing ..those 2 would be great viewing when feed time . cheers bdowdy..brett

do the jack and toga have a go at each other by anychance? havent seen that mix before.
    Nice Jardini Mate

hmm your giving me ideas here lol i must resist!

Cammo
    Last edited by Cammy; 09-04-2008 at 07:15 PM.

I used to keep and breed a fantastic collection of Rainbows, Australian and New Guinea, until I come home from an outing one day and my tank had cracked! Very upset.

Now, I've got a 3' tank with a Saratoga about 15cm long. His tank buddies are some Rainbows, Glassy Perchlets, Hardyheads, Firetail and Purple spotted Gudgeons and a lone Bass about 4cm long. (just purchased him)

All the natives beside the Saratoga and the Bass have been caught out of my little local creek.

Can't wait until I have to buy a 6' tank to house Sara and the Bass!

Cheers Jeff.