Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Re: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Quote Originally Posted by cbs View Post
    I know its not a fish, but there is more to aquariums than fish......

Another pic.
    There certainly is mate, and thats a nice piece of coral, what type is it??
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    There certainly is mate, and thats a nice piece of coral, what type is it??
    Its a green Staghorn Acropora sp. I grew it from a piece the size of a finger to a colony about 10 inches across over the last couple of years.

Very good water quality required....

Quote Originally Posted by cbs View Post
    Its a green Staghorn Acropora sp. I grew it from a piece the size of a finger to a colony about 10 inches across over the last couple of years.

Very good water quality required....
    You must have brilliant water quality then ! or did you feed it roids?
    Very nice piece of coral,

I have a question, im not very good with saltwater stuff, but at work we have this display tank with coral in it and there 2 Big live rocks with looks like purple flowers on it, sorta like purple pancakes And there is alot of em!.

Do you know what this is called? If you can even understand what i said lol

Cammo

Hey Guys,

I have a 5ft tank (just tank and hood/cabinet not yet set up) and am wanting to put Bream in it and have a question about the salinity of the water. Do you run tanks with Bream in it as pure fresh with no salt added or do you add a certain level of salt in the Tank to immitate brackish water?

Sorry if it has already been mentioned in post.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Malcolm View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a 5ft tank (just tank and hood/cabinet not yet set up) and am wanting to put Bream in it and have a question about the salinity of the water. Do you run tanks with Bream in it as pure fresh with no salt added or do you add a certain level of salt in the Tank to immitate brackish water?

Sorry if it has already been mentioned in post.

Cheers,

Mark
    Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

If you are going to add salt go by this rule

1 tablespoon per 20 litres..

or if you have plecos, bristlnose loaches and that kinda stuf do it

1 teaspoon per 20 litres..

There the rules i go by and it hasnt let me down. Some people may say different though. Also not that adding salt at that dose does not make the water brackish.

Cammo

You must have brilliant water quality then ! or did you feed it roids?
    Very nice piece of coral,

I have a question, im not very good with saltwater stuff, but at work we have this display tank with coral in it and there 2 Big live rocks with looks like purple flowers on it, sorta like purple pancakes And there is alot of em!.

Do you know what this is called? If you can even understand what i said lol

Cammo
    No Roids here and no shop bought additives either. Waste of money imo. I only add calc and alk (if you know what that is)

I think you are describing coralimorphs (google it). Commonly called morphs or mushies. Can get them in any number of colours (or combination of). I have a few hundred (I guess) in my tank. bright Red, rusty red,blue/purple/hairy green and purple with yellow spots (seriously). Much easier to keep than the acro above.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Jeff are you sure you have a Liechardti Saratoga? In the photos I am thinking it looks more like a Jardini but it is hard to tell in the photos. Could tell for sure in a split second if I saw it in person but it does look darker and more like a Jardini saratoga to me which is not necessarily a bad thing, I reckon they are nicer personally.
    Poodroo
    Mate, I don't know, but I'd love to find out as I purchased it as a Liechardti.
    It is very flighty, goes crazy when it's startled or someone goes close to the tank.

It has also jumped out of the tank a few months ago when I was cleaning it, no damage thankfully, it has settled down a bit now when I clean the tank, but it still has it's psycho trips pretty regularly.

I've been trying to find pictures of both species so I can compare but haven't found any real good ones to compare each other against.

Jeff.

Toga looks awesome Jeff,

mmm I think I might have to get a tank going again.

Pete

yer mate thats them, i will try to remeber what they are, since some off them broke off and i reattached it to the rock again and i wa slike whoa it actually worked lol had me facinated.

Jeff im 99% sure that ur toga is a Lei, lei's r more slender and lighter in colour, and there heads r more pointier than jars. Lei's colors on the scales r 2 dots on each scale when they get bigger. And some othe points but im a in a bit of a rush.

Cammo

[quote=Cammy;843668]Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

There the rules i go by and it hasnt let me down. Some people may say different though. Also not that adding salt at that dose does not make the water brackish.

Cammo[/quote

Cheers for that, do you see any problem in having Bass/Silver Perch/Golden Perch and Bream in the same tank (providing they are about the same size) and do the fresh species have any problem with addition of a small amount of salts?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mate thats gonna be one stunning tank not to mention your gonna have top of the Range in Acc all you need is the ultimate display fish - Discus with Cardinal Tetras and about 10 Peppermint Bristlenose! that would be my selection in tropicals anyway, haha.

Cammo
    I used to breed discus. They do tend to eat the cardinals unfortunately. In a three foot tank I was going to probably put about 200 cardinals in it with a few clown loaches for the bottom.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    Mate, I don't know, but I'd love to find out as I purchased it as a Liechardti.
    It is very flighty, goes crazy when it's startled or someone goes close to the tank.

It has also jumped out of the tank a few months ago when I was cleaning it, no damage thankfully, it has settled down a bit now when I clean the tank, but it still has it's psycho trips pretty regularly.

I've been trying to find pictures of both species so I can compare but haven't found any real good ones to compare each other against.

Jeff.
    Not the greatest of photos but at least you can pick the difference between them.
    Yours is hard to identify in your photos but I am tending to think it is a Leichardti after all. It just had me fooled because the colouration was darker in the photos.

Leichardti Saratoga

Jardini Saratoga

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

[quote=Mark Malcolm;843792]
    Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

Cammo[/quote

Cheers for that, do you see any problem in having Bass/Silver Perch/Golden Perch and Bream in the same tank (providing they are about the same size) and do the fresh species have any problem with addition of a small amount of salts?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
    Hey, sorry i forgot to add the "e" in the last sentence on the word "not".

That sounds like an allright mix right there, shouldnt be a problem, but keep an eye on the silver perch. Nah the freshwater species dont mind the salt, just keep it to 1tablespoon per 20 litres every water change and they'll be fine. Salt also helps with wounds on your fish, say your fish were fighting and one lost a couple of scales and there was a gash in the fish, chuck some salt in and it will be fine.

Cammo

[/quote

Thanks in advance.

Mark[/quote]

hey Mark ive gone buy the same rule as cammy has ive put 1 tablespoon to 20l of water. And in my 4ft i have bream and bass aswell as rainbows and sordys from the local creek they havent suffered from the introduction of salt.

Ok with the bream we have caught legal 23cm ones and converted them by taking them home in a buckett of creek water then slowly adding a bit of tank water, to get the "FRESH" into it and raise the temp up to the same as the tank.
    It is alot easier because where we catch the bream it is Brackish. also its alot easier to convert smaller ones then bigger ones.

Good luck.
    "True Blue"

Hi guys.

nice pics!. i have a 4ft tank in my lounge, pic is below...

these species live inside:
    5x silver dollars
    5x silver sharks
    5x clown loaches
    2x adult red top zebras
    12x baby red top zebras
    5x tiger barbs
    5x moss barbs
    1-2x albino barbs
    3x angle fish
    lots of snails :-)