Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Re: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    hey no jacks if u can send me a few pics i mite take it.
    umm? where are you gonna put it mate? lol

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Hey guys,
    Just wondering how a Bream can be turned into a freshwater fish?. I have never heard of this but am interested.
    Cheers, Cam

[quote=moorie86;837712]Hey guys,
    Just wondering how a Bream can be turned into a freshwater fish?. I have never heard of this but am interested.
    Cheers, Cam[/quote
    You do it by adding fresh slowly to the salt, and after a few days you use a hydrometer to check salt levels and hopefuuly its all fresh but u have to be carefull you dont take to long to do it cause ammonia and nitrate levels can build up alot and kill your fish, make sure you dont take undersize fish to do it also cause its ilegal.cheers

Quote Originally Posted by moorie86 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Cheers, Cam
    I used to have a method where I would come home with the fish in a bucket in salt water and sit the bucket on a chair next to a table under the pergola. With some chlorine neutralized water I would stick another bucket on the table and using some airline (The type used to run air bubbles in an aquarium) complete with a valve to regulate water flow and run it from the freshwater bucket just by siphoning into the bucket with the bream in it. Then I would have another length of the same airline tubing to siphon water from the bucket with the bream in it at approximately the same rate of flow as the water going into its bucket. When the freshwater bucket was empty I would simply relpace it with more fresh water and repeat the process again. Nice and slowly is the key. The taste test was the final step. Dip a finger in the bucket with the bream in it and then touch the tip of the tongue and if there was any hint of salt I would continue the process until the water tasted totally fresh. If you don't mind spending money then get a digital hydrometer to test the salinity instead of tasting.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Some nice fish in here guys, well done !
    anyone keep a flathead's ?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    I used to have a method where I would come home with the fish in a bucket in salt water and sit the bucket on a chair next to a table under the pergola. With some chlorine neutralized water I would stick another bucket on the table and using some airline (The type used to run air bubbles in an aquarium) complete with a valve to regulate water flow and run it from the freshwater bucket just by siphoning into the bucket with the bream in it. Then I would have another length of the same airline tubing to siphon water from the bucket with the bream in it at approximately the same rate of flow as the water going into its bucket. When the freshwater bucket was empty I would simply relpace it with more fresh water and repeat the process again. Nice and slowly is the key. The taste test was the final step. Dip a finger in the bucket with the bream in it and then touch the tip of the tongue and if there was any hint of salt I would continue the process until the water tasted totally fresh. If you don't mind spending money then get a digital hydrometer to test the salinity instead of tasting.

Poodroo
    I done it the same way with the airtube but i used to tie a not in the tube to slow it down and make it drip out slowly i used to have a 6foot tank with freshwater fish already in it, so i would grab my little tank that holds 20 litres put the fish i was transfering in it with salt water from the area i got them from and put that little 20 lt tank inside a 100 litre esky and then put the air tube from the 6foot tank to the the 20litre tank and tie a not in the tube and begin to transfer freshwater to the little tank that the saltwater fish are in, i would put a mesh lid on the little 20 liter tank so the fish couldnt get out and then just let the 20litre tank over flow in to 100 liter esky it is sitting in this in my view was the easiest way of doing it cause the fish are going to have good freshwater coming from an aready established tank with freshwater that has all the good bacterea in it after a day i would test with hydrometer to test salt levels and if needed continue the transfer if needed more fresh.
    Last edited by jackextracter; 09-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHAWN View Post
    I have never done one or heard of one being done but i do not think it would work with them some fish need a certain amount of salt levels in the water to survive.

Thanks for the advice,
    Quick question, Do the fish get the red spot disease they get in the saltwater systems when there is a lot of fresh running into it?

Cheers, cam

hi guys just a quick question, have noticed lately my barra has white sores like ulcers around his head area,only small and they come and go, only match head size or alittle bigger ANY IDEAS ....am i feeding him too much fish or bloodworm, or is it some known disease which i can fix by treatment...ANY HELP APPRECIATED. CHEERS BDOWDY.BRETT

Quote Originally Posted by FISHAWN View Post
    I have heard of people keeping flathead in tanks, as the previous fish manager was telling me a story about his mate.

He caught a flatty took it home and converted it to freshwater, but for some reason the fish wasnt eating, he then found out that flatheads had to have a current to be able to eat. Because flatheads are Mainly ambush predators the current naturally has to move bait/fish in the direction of the flathead, meanwhile the flathead is facing the current waiting for food. So the flatty ended up dead because he couldnt make the proper current.

Also had a customer sometime last year say that he tried the same thing and didnt work out.

These are only storys, so i havent tried it out myself, and i dont really want to kill a flathead.

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by bdowdy View Post
    hi guys just a quick question, have noticed lately my barra has white sores like ulcers around his head area,only small and they come and go, only match head size or alittle bigger ANY IDEAS ....am i feeding him too much fish or bloodworm, or is it some known disease which i can fix by treatment...ANY HELP APPRECIATED. CHEERS BDOWDY.BRETT
    is it justa round the head? near the gills? fins? are the ulcers protruding from the skin?

Cammo

hey cammy just around the head and it looks like a pimple and then like hole in the head eating inwards. no where near fins just head, gills.???cheers bdowdy

Ok well to me it sounds like hole in the head disease, although i may be wrong.

Head and Lateral Line Erosion Disease (HLLD or HLLE)
    Also known as: Lateral Line Erosion (LLE), Lateral Line Disease (LLD), and Hole-in-the-Head Disease

Symptoms: Begins as small pits on the head and face, usually just above the eye. If untreated, these turn into large cavities and then the disease progresses along the lateral line.
    Head and Lateral Line Disease is attributed to a nutritional deficiency of one or more of: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus. Though its cause is not definitively determined, it is thought to be caused by a poor diet or lack of variety, lack of partial water changes, or over filtration with chemical media such as activated carbon.
    HLLE has been reversed by one or more of the following treatments:
    • Increase frequent water changes.
    • Add vitamins to frozen foods.
    • Add the addition of flake foods, as they are enriched with vitamins.
    • Add greens, either frozen or in leaf form, to the diet.
    • Decrease the amount of beef heart as it lacks many critical nutrients.
    • Remove activated carbon filtration.
    (This disease is often confused with another disease called 'Hexamita', because both these diseases are often seen simultaneously in the same fish. Hexamita is a protozoan disease that attacks the lower intestine. Discus and other large cichlids, especially Oscars, are especially prone to Hexamita.)

i havent heard this diseas on barra though.

EDIT : i just re-read ur post, and didnt realise you were reffering to hole in the head. But it does sound liek it alot.

Cammo
    Last edited by Cammy; 09-06-2008 at 08:52 PM.

thanks cammy yeh not sure but will do some water changes more often, and do some treatments,,, how often would you feed a barra,as mine could eat all day but only gets fed once aday or every second,cheers bdowdy,,brett

Quote Originally Posted by bdowdy View Post
    thanks cammy yeh not sure but will do some water changes more often, and do some treatments,,, how often would you feed a barra,as mine could eat all day but only gets fed once aday or every second,cheers bdowdy,,brett
    yeah baras will eat 24/7 , it depends on how big your baras are mine are at 10cm now and i feed them 1 frogmouth pillie each a day plus some feeders.
    "True Blue"