Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Re: Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Quote Originally Posted by Keechie View Post
    awesome stuff cammo, do you know if it is legal to catch an undersized bream and take it back and put it into a tank or do you have to find them in the shops?

regards,
    keechie
    HEY keech there is nothing illegal about buying a undersize bream from the pet shops mate.

if you had a look would u have noticed that also the bass are undersize and the toga too but they where all brought from the same shop nothig wrong with that.
    "True Blue"

Quote Originally Posted by Keechie View Post
    awesome stuff cammo, do you know if it is legal to catch an undersized bream and take it back and put it into a tank or do you have to find them in the shops?

regards,
    keechie
    If its got a minimum size specified for it then that must be followed. Sorry but thats how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Breambuster33 View Post
    im thinking about getting a Australian native fish..
    anyone got any suggestions on the size of the tank
    or what fish to get
    cheers
    Hey mate, i suggest a fish that you really like and have an intrest in.
    http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

Have a look at this site , it shows most of the common freshwater native fish that are available.

Barra grow fast so if you wanted to keep one, you will probably have to go a pretty big tank, say 6x2x2 ft and still that will hold it for only like 2 1/2 years if fed live food.

Bass are slow growers, so you can keep them in a smaller tank for a longer time, and they are so cool when they eat crickets, they are so precise and never miss!

Murry cod vary, although i have never had one myself, i have heard stories of them growing rapidly fast and others really slow.

There are heaps of fish to choose from, just pick one that you really like, work out how you are going to house the fish or fishes, work out the requirements of the fish. I find it really fun to setup a new tank as you can make it whatever you want it to look like.

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

cheers cammy
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

hi all, great thread here!

i have just bought a 4foot tank off a mate, which came with all the goodies including quite a large canister filter which is rated to about a 6foot capacity.

it will be going in our new house when we move in, so i have not had it setup yet. i am very keen on a saltwater setup, and am interested in catching a few local species such as a moses perch and possibly a bream or similar. legal size of course. my question is: i have been told i can use sea water to fill the tank, and regularly replacing small portion of water will keep the fish happy. has anyone done this with success, and has anyone tried to keep a moses perch before..I imagine they would be similar to keeping a jack???

please excuse my ignorance, i am very new to this!!

pete
    " Sea 'n' Things " 420 Quintrex-Suzuki 30

I had a customer the other day that had a moses perch, bream and jacks in together in brakish water, so its possible in brackish.

Cammo

cammy i think im going to get a mangrove jack soon so how much will it cost for one about 7cm?

Here is a picture of my Jack.

I would like to know how often people feed there jacks. I have heard that they grow very fast. I have had mine from when he was about 4cm and have had him about 2 years in a 5ft tank by himself (except for the feeder fish he gets sometimes.) and he is about 15cm now. I only feed him about 1-2 a week, I know many of you will say that is not enough but he doesn't show any signs of not being feed enough and I do not feed them this often on perpose but that is about how often i get up to the shed to feed them. Hence Why i have noticed that he hasn't grown fast but still looks healthy to me. I think that the more often you feed them the faster they grow. How much do you think they would eat in a day in a wild? A hand full of fish or just one? My Barcoo grunter is in the same boat when it comes to feeding. He is about 2.5 - 3 years old now and doing fine.
    But i could be wrong so how much do you feed yours and how fast does he grow?

Also on another note, be carefull with what fish food you feed fish as fish cannot process fat properley and it will stay with them till they die. So feed them a low fat food (less than 5%) and they will live longer.

hey mate,

Can only get 7.5cm for $100 10cm at $110, it's cheaper if bulk buy to.

2 x 10cm jacks is $200.

2 x 7.5cm jacks is $180.

i have a week or 2 to make the last order.

Pickup only.

Keech the song is, Headsrong - by Trapt

Cammo

alright cammy i might get a 7.5cm one if thats ok with you

What have you been feeding the jack besides feeders? just pellets?

I would say its probably cause he doesnt get fed much, even though he doesnt show signs of being hungry, fish are always hungry and i mean always , (in aquariums atleast) everything benefits from food.

also how often do you do water changes?

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by whiting-wizard View Post
    alright cammy i might get a 7.5cm one if thats ok with you
    also mate i forgot to add that they will hopefully arrive late July early August.

still after one?

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    What have you been feeding the jack besides feeders? just pellets?

I would say its probably cause he doesnt get fed much, even though he doesnt show signs of being hungry, fish are always hungry and i mean always , (in aquariums atleast) everything benefits from food.

also how often do you do water changes?

Cammo
    I feed him mostly pellets, I agree his size is because of my feeding habits, And i agree that fish are always hungry but what i mean is Just because they are hungry does that mean they NEED to be fed or want to be fed?

I do a water change (about 1/2 tank) and filter clean about every 2 months, this is only because
    of a few things, the size of the tank, and the fish waste. Because he is not really large , not feed alot and the tank is quite large, I believe the water quality is better for longer. If i feed him every day I belive i would need to do a water change proberly every 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wokii1 View Post
    I feed him mostly pellets, I agree his size is because of my feeding habits, And i agree that fish are always hungry but what i mean is Just because they are hungry does that mean they NEED to be fed or want to be fed?

I do a water change (about 1/2 tank) and filter clean about every 2 months, this is only because
    of a few things, the size of the tank, and the fish waste. Because he is not really large , not feed alot and the tank is quite large, I believe the water quality is better for longer. If i feed him every day I belive i would need to do a water change proberly every 2-3 weeks.
    hmm after reading that i think the problem is the tank cleaning, even though you can sustain a good enviroment for the fish if you dont do water changes for a while, new water always seems to make the fish have a growth spurt in my experiences.

For e.g i only do water changes every 2-3 weeks on my 6x2x2 because i want my fish to stay smaller for longer, cause when he gets bigger i have no where to put him. On my smaller tanks i do water change every 1-2 weeks cause they are all juviniles and i want them to grow more.

If you do more water changes and keep feeding him the same rate he should grow quicker.

Although i wouldnt mind a jack that stayed small all the time

Cammo

Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    also mate i forgot to add that they will hopefully arrive late July early August.

still after one?

Cammo
    Yeah mate still after one