Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating raw fish

Thumbs up eating raw fish

Hi,

as soon as you say 'eating raw fish' most people turn their noses up or call you stupid. well the way i've eaten raw fish is cut up the fillet into small peices. put it all into a bowl of white vinegar and slosh it around. now add heaps of ginger, cubed onions, corriander, and little cherry tomatos. slosh it all around, and stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
    what's happening here is the fish is actually cooking. the vinegar being so acidic cooks it in no time.
    travelly or snapper is the best to use. or mackeral.
    perhaps some people may know of this reciepe as being called 'numus' i don't know the correct way to spell it.

Enjoy,
    John

Re: eating raw fish

In Fiji we have a traditional dish called kokoda which consists of -

raw fish cut up into cubes
    coconut cream
    lime juice
    green/red pepper
    cucumber
    chilli (if you like it spicy)

You basically mix it all together and let it marinade/cook. Its my favorite dish and I grew up on the stuff!

BG
    Last edited by Bubba Gump; 07-04-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

with all those added ingredients, it would taste the same without the Fish!

Thumbs up Re: eating raw fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Gump View Post

coconut cream
    lime juice
    green/red pepper
    cucumber

You basically mix it all together and let it marinade/cook. Its my favorite dish and I grew up on the stuff!

BG
    hey bubba,
    good to see that someone else like to eat something different. I was in the Philippines back along, and the locals there cook their fish whole after gutting it. we went fishing one time, and came back to the beach with a few fish. we lit a fire on the beach, and all they did was just throw the whole thing on the hot coals. skin and all. after it was cooked, you could just peel the skin off with your fingers, and underneath was yummy white flesh. just pick it off the bone as a nibble while sipping on a cold san miguel beer watching the sun go down!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    with all those added ingredients, it would taste the same without the Fish!
    Looking at the ingredients in it you wouldn't think it was that nice, but I promise you it will become a favorite dish if you give it a go!
    Don't play stupid with me...I'm better at it!

I love kokoda. Mouthwatering stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Gump View Post

coconut cream
    lime juice
    green/red pepper
    cucumber

BG
    I will be the first in line for raw fish..........I love it all!!

Your recipe sounds nice but just a note: the lime juice actually cooks it!
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Quote Originally Posted by fish-n-dive View Post

Your recipe sounds nice but just a note: the lime juice actually cooks it!
    yes,quite right....throughout the coastal regions of central and south america ceviche is a very popular dish where the fish or seafood is simply "cooked" in lemon or lime juice...absolutely delicious.

johnny roger....adding the vinegar actually pickles the fish so in reality it's not actually"raw" anymore but it sure is delicious....if you scroll down page 3 of recipes under the thread titled "namas" , I describe the mixture I use ,but I also like a bit of ginger particular "sushi ginger 'which has already been pickled.

Noel ...dont knock it till you try it...the taste sensation is really quite awesome and a welcome change from the usual hot cooking methods.

Scott
    Last edited by disorderly; 10-04-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    "namas" Scott
    Namas = la-YUM!!!
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Thanks for the tip John.will try next time i catch some fish.

mate you can't go past a good 'sashimi'

best is using tuna however I've recently tried coral trout, and it works very well.

same again as with all 'raw' fish it must be sliced quite thinly

Prepare dipping sauce of: soysauce, lime/lemon juice, small amount of tomato sauce and wasabi (a must), combine ingedients and set aside.
    Then what I do is prepare a dish of rice and serve on plate, the serve thinly sliced fish beside rice.
    With chopsticks (optional) get a piece of fish and dip in dipping sauce for a few seconds then eat piece by piece along with rice.

yummo

Im a bit of a fan of sashimi myself... cant go past salmon and tuna but I have started to take a liking to kingfish, red emperor and snapper. Its nice to get the different textures. Im simple I just have it with some soy sayce and wasabi.

Snapper Civiche
    Slice Snapper fillets ( Flathead an alternative ) paper thin
    In a mortar and pestle bash up, the juice of 1 lime, 1 lemon, salt to taste, 4 parts coriander to 1 part mint,\ and a dash of fish sauce.
    Lay fish slices on a plate and cover with the mix.
    Cover the plate and into the fridge for an hour or 2

enjoy

yep raw fish is the bomb , love it . Had atlantic salmon not long ago sashimi style , awesome . Didnt even bother about the soy or wasabi .

Hey Johnny R,

The first time I ate raw fish and enjoyed it, it was prepared in a similar way to what you said. The fish was actually "blackfish fillets" cut up into small pieces.

They were left overnight in the fridge in a bowl of white vineger, mixed herbs (straight out of the shaker) and some thinly sliced onion pieces.

It was really great! I went to the shop later on, thinking to upgrade from blackfish to atlantic salmon. The fillets cost me a fortune & ended up tasting nowhere as good as the blackfish!

I haven't prepared raw fish for a while now but this thread has inspired me to give it another go. I think I'll try some Nile Perch or maybe hamour (cod)
    Last edited by PNG1M; 17-01-2009 at 03:10 AM. Reason: typo
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."