Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuna/mackeral spin combo?? trying to keep it under $600

Re: Tuna/mackeral spin combo?? trying to keep it under $600

Quote Originally Posted by orbyroo View Post
    I dont like the sound of that!! not when you want crispy!!!

is it really that noticeable?
    Probably a harsh way of putting it, the Bear is a more softer, forgiving action.
    I use the Bear S4 side by side with a Loomis GLX, using the same plastic and jig weight gives a different action, a softer less agressive action. IMO the S10 is similar in sensativity to the Loomis.
    Egrell S10 is rated at 3-10kg while the Bear S10 is 4-10kg

Plastix,

I own 2 of the rods that have been talked about in this thread and hopefully I can answer some of your queries.

I own and have extensively used the following 2 rods:

- Nitro Distance Spin Magnum Butt 4-6kg
    - G. Loomis Pro blue PBR963S

First, I agree with you in that the loomis is too heavy for what you are wanting to do. It is more suited to heavy slugs (i.e. 40gm +), large dead/live baits, and 1oz -3oz jig heads and some popping. I use this rod for heavy plastic work fishing for large reef fish like yellowtail kings etc and throwing smallish poppers (45gm-60gm). Trying to cast anything less than say 1 oz to feeding fish with this rod has in my experience been futile.

The nitro on the other hand is superb for casting lighter weights and has great reserves of power in the butt. I find 3/8oz is a good weight for casting to feeding tuna. However i can comfortably fish with anything from 1/4oz - 1oz. My biggest tuna to date on this rod was a 9kg longtail and the rod handled it easily as it "loads up" beautifully. I would be confident landing even larger tuna on this rod. I use it for all my "medium" plastic work including reef fishing for snapper (i have caught up to 4kg), small yellowtail etc. I feel that this rod is under-rated and is more likely 4-8kg rather than the stated 4-6kg. It is my most frequently used combo!

Currently i am running a Freams kix 4000 spooled with 300m of 16lb braid on the nitro, this seems to be a great combo and has met all my expectations. However any 4000 sized diawa reel will be suitable. Regarding shimano i would think a 5000 would be more suitable as the sizing seems to be different depending on the model.

Regards

Mega.

Just some food for thought, the Nitro Blanks are excellent! The components they use are not!! With the Egrell you will get a hand made Rod from here in Australia with Titanium Coated guides ... the Nitro's guides are prone to a bit of rusting & are quite heavy. Personally I would go the Eggy for longevity and it's a better blank no doubt about it!!

Ta
    Matt

mate i have a 7ft viper nitro i use for spinning for tuna etc with and its a bloody good rod, ive got a 4000 tierra on it only because i use it more for offshore plastics more than i do for spinning. if i was just spinning id get the stradic souly because of the higher retrieve rate. nick

After another fishless outing yesterday i am putting any further fishing expenses on hold.

Quality gear wont help if i cant even find a decent fish.

Thanks though for all your replies.

Just to let you know I blooded my new Starlo Stix Tournament on the week end
    It throws a 20gm slug a good distance and felt great giving it too some Mac Tuna. It felt great on the SP side of things even though I could only get one Squire to come out and play. Not bad at all for under $150.00
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Cheers for that horse.

Today i started considering buying 2 reasonable quality outfits instead of one (as it seems i might be expecting a bit much from one outfit) so the SS tournament is one i will look at, eventually.