View Poll Results: Is Banana bad luck on fishing boat?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • True

42 43.75%
  • False

54 56.25%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Banana Bad luck???

Re: Banana Bad luck???

Quote Originally Posted by tigermullet View Post
    What say all that potassium in the banana cargo got converted to potassium nitrate, got a shock, and went kaboom?

Big hole gets ripped in the Titanic and the ice berg gets a lot of undeserved, bad press.

No?

I gotta stop smoking this stuff.
    What...............banana skins?.................they call it mellow yellow (as Donovan sang)

Electrical banana
    Is gonna be a sudden craze
    Electrical banana
    Is bound to be the very next phase

They call it mellow yellow
    (Quite rightly)
    They call me mellow yellow
    (Quite rightly)
    They call me mellow yellow

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 09-04-2008 at 08:22 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Would it be any good, do you think? At least, bananas cannot be grown hydroponically as far as I know. Which isn't much because I am not into gardening or any other farming activities, especially if it involves animals because, generally, they are very messy and most of them like to bite and kick.

I do know that certain crops, when grown using hydroponic methods, produce nice plump flower heads but that is about all - just show and no substance if you get what I mean.

I dunno about that Donovan bloke. Was he from the sixties? I was there but it is all a bit hazy. Anyway, he must have been really strange if he was drying out banana skins. I should ask my wife. She was there too but was always ultra straight and very critical of certain types of behaviour. So, if he was a bit 'off' she will know about it for sure because she never lets me forget and keeps mentioning Jesus who, I understand, was some bloke with long hair who used to hang out with the Pope a long time ago and did miracles and spoke of mysterious things. Well, hinted at them really without giving you the real low down in any terms that I can understand.

They must have had some pretty good stuff back then too.

Its gotta be a fruit thing, Cherry Venture finished up anchored at Fraser for a longer time than planned.
    Then again it might of been netting Banana Prawns.
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/

i thought it was the colour green that was bad luck
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Only after I tried to chase a black cat away from peeing in the boat , slipped on a banana skin & cracked my head on the ladder!

Nagg

ahaha well that explains it well and truly....
    Cheers
    BreamBuster33

aahaha lol the colour yellow is bad luck to me

I see Ausfish stuck a " time warp button " on the new server
    Sounds more like 1408 than 2008 on this thread I think maybe some people just need a scapegoat for a bad trip, blame it on the banana?? why not

Bill.

There is absolutely no truth that Bananas are bad luck on board, Next thing you guys will be telling me that Santa and the Easter Bunny are not true, Cheers Whitto PS What about the blokes that chase Banana Prawns, they have to be worried
    Last edited by Whitto; 11-04-2008 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Adding to text

I thought the Cherry Venture was near Double Islant Point... Mahino,Stirling Castle,Marloo plus others on Fraser.

The Evils of the Banana
    Bananas are a mainstay of most cultures and are the world’s most popular fruit. However, these deliciously yellow treats have no place at sea. Since the 1700’s, it has been widely believed that having a banana on board was an omen of disaster.
    In the early 1700’s, during the height of the Spanish’s South Atlantic and Caribbean trading empire, it was observed that nearly every ship that disappeared at sea and did not make its destination was carrying a cargo of bananas. This gave rise to the belief that hauling bananas was a dangerous prospect. There are other documented origins to this superstition as well.
    Another explanation for the banana superstition is that the fastest sailing ships used to carry bananas from the tropics to U.S. ports along the East Coast to land the bananas before they could spoil,” Chahoc said. “The banana boats were so fast that fishermen never caught anything while trolling for fish from them, and that’s where the superstition got started.
    Another theory is that bananas carried aboard slave ships fermented and gave off methane gas, which would be trapped below deck. Anyone in the hold, including cargoes of imprisoned humanity, would succumb to the poisoned air, and anyone trying to climb down into the hold to help them would fall prey to the dangerous gas.
    And finally, one of the better known dangers of bananas at sea, is that a species of spider with a lethal bite likes to hide in bunches of bananas. Crewmen suddenly dying of spider bites after bananas are brought aboard certainly would be considered a bad omen resulting in the cargo being tossed into the sea.
    Any of these scenarios could be the reason behind fishermen’s mistrust of the yellow fruit, possibly all of them. Whatever the case may be, it is best that you don’t attempt to bring any bananas on board your next seafaring excursion, just to be safe.
    Read more about the Banana superstitions.
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/

what about towing one of those inflateable bananas?

Absolute bunkum.....
    Check out the Fishing Show's Wanganella Banks DVD - Matt catches a striped marlin on a homemade lure consisting of a film canister and banana skin!
    The aftermath of the giant squid attack is pretty awsome too.
    Oz

I reckon given the amount of effort I put in and the bags I don't fill, it must be the banana the guy was eating when the glass was being laid!

I am truly buggered!

But really, I think I'm getting close, as the knowledge bank keeps filling up....

I do not, however, allow bananas on my boat, as someone else pointed out - JUST IN CASE!
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

And there is to be no whistling into the wind- it makes it stronger.

And from the roughy days with a Kiwi skipper- Not allowed to mention rabbits and not allowed to sail on a friday.

Cheers Scott

Smile Banana's, bad luck or critical mass?

Hello everyone,
    I have had a glance at the facts of bad luck & banana's on boats, for all those who believe or not, (and I know I'm re-hashing old ground), but is this a luck based on a belief system (superstition) or is it critical mass?
    Rosie