Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Challenge Show me a bigger Queenfish

Challenge Show me a bigger Queenfish

Hello all,

Below is a 15.5kg Queenfish caught in Gladstone in 2001. World all tackle record at the time was 13.4kg caught in FNQ. About a month later a guy in Yeppoon got one 16kg i think the record was claimed and still stands.
    Peanuts for Elephants, i caught this guy on a live mullet about 6-7cm long.

Matt

Re: Challenge Show me a bigger Queenfish

what a monster
    Regards
    Dylan

serious fish.

That is a deadset stonker of a Queenie. I think shes a winner hands down!

How was the fight mate?

Giantsquid,

As you'd expect it pulled my arms off. Prob took 15 min or so, always feels like longer. Got him on Penn 650ss, 6' Silstar crystal tip rod and 30lb mono, not that sporting but you see why i fished 30lb. He tried to jump a few times but couldn't get all his body out, just stuck his head out and shook all over the place.
    I've got them in that spot to 10kg before and they are great fun, leap 4' out of the air easy.

Cheers,

Matt

I know I dont have any photos to prove it and you may all think im lying, But I have caught 2 queenfish up far north qld over 20kg back around 2002. one was 22kg the other 20kg. they do exists over 20kg. wish I had a camera that day. but im sure i'll get another and who knows..the record
    Last edited by Flex; 11-04-2008 at 06:39 AM.

Probably a tad short but here are my biggest Queenies all caught landbased.

Pete

they are still monsters
    Regards
    Dylan

Flex,

I have seen photos Dave Donald has taken of some monsters from up Weipa way, give mine a run, one was in Modern Fishing a few years ago forget who caught it, maybe Warren Steptoe?. I'd love to see a 22kg fish that's 50% bigger again than mine, look out small children and dogs, don't swim too fast they'll think you're a popper!!

Pistol_P,

They are ripper fish, and one at least on a popper, all my big queenies, up to 10.5kg, were on poppers, great fun. No reel out there with a retrieve ratio fast enough to escape the rampaging Queenie.

Matt

Any queenie over 10kg is an awesome catch. I caught my big queenies around cape melville way up north.

Mostly hook em as a bycatch fishing for GT's off rocky headlands. The 2 big ones I have caught were all taken on a 7inch gold bomber. for some reason I find gold attracts queenfish better than anything else. but maybe its all in my head..lol

Anyhow nice effort.

Im heading up north again soon so hopfully I'll catch a few more bigguns. The problem is you cant bring back any record fish you catch because its so remote. So a picture on the scales will have to do I guess..

i know this 1 isn"t as big as yours but my young falla was only 3 when he caught this 3kg queene.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

Quote Originally Posted by fivefishes View Post
    Flex,

I have seen photos Dave Donald has taken of some monsters from up Weipa way, give mine a run, one was in Modern Fishing a few years ago forget who caught it, maybe Warren Steptoe?. I'd love to see a 22kg fish that's 50% bigger again than mine, look out small children and dogs, don't swim too fast they'll think you're a popper!!

Pistol_P,

They are ripper fish, and one at least on a popper, all my big queenies, up to 10.5kg, were on poppers, great fun. No reel out there with a retrieve ratio fast enough to escape the rampaging Queenie.

Matt
    Cheers Matt
    Yeah two of those were popper caught and one was on a squidgie 130mm slick rig......You are right popping for Queenies is awesome fun.
    Popping for any fish is pretty hard to beat.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    i know this 1 isn"t as big as yours but my young falla was only 3 when he caught this 3kg queene.

ron.
    Thats a good bloody good fish for a 3 year old
    Regards
    Dylan

Flex,

Photo is cool, comments are cool, whatever. I'm just interested to hear about Queenies cause of that monster i got, no competition, no winner, any Queenie or GT over 10kg is awesome.

Anyone seen the huge GT's the young guys have been catching around the Whitsundays, they always have photos etc in QFM, some unreal fish,pull a queenie backwards those things.

The 3 year old with the Queenie, well done, hooked for life now!!

Matt