Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Now or never, Ive got to say that the post was maybe a little ambiguous, how many were caught and by how many spearos? No offence but tackle shop staff love to have a yarn and spearos are generally very protective of thier good spots. I will say though that the spearos i know (and no I dont spear) would be the most responsible guys I know in most regards, and they are generally very selective in what they hit and are for the most part pro-sustainablility.

    Geoff

  2. #32

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Nowornever, are you talking about parrotfish or tuskfish? I presume that you are talking about tuskfish (Labridae) rather than parrotfish (Scaridae). Parrotfish are rarely taken by anglers as they feed mainly on algae by scraping it off dead coral with their beak-like teeth. Tuskfish on the other hand possess conical-like canines that resemble tusks and use these to feed on a variety of organisms, mainly crustaceans. They are occasionally taken by anglers, particularly those that target them and are a prime target species for spearfishers.

    Some points to consider:
    Spearfishers are entitled to their bag limit of any species just as linefishers are entitled to their bag limit (most fishers, including the users of this forum, would happily take their bag limit of snapper on any given outing).
    Spearfishing is difficult.
    There are fewer days that are available for spearfishing compared with line fishing due to factors such as adequate visability and current.
    Spearfishers are limited by depth.
    Spearfishers face greater dangers compared with line fishers e.g. predators.
    Spearfishing is a discriminate method, line fishing is not.
    Spearfishing enables the targeting of species seldom caught on line e.g. parrotfish, and increases the difficulty (compared with line fishing) of catching other species e.g. snapper.
    Any person can linefish, far fewer are able to spearfish (successfully) due to reasons such as health and fitness levels, skill and fear, therefore there are far less spearfishers than line fishers.
    Spearfishing allows those who undertake it to appreciate the underwater environment.
    Spearing 5 x 10kg tuskies in the Bay in a single day would be as rare as rocking horse droppings.
    Spearing a tusky in the Bay that has fishing line and hooks in its mouth is not uncommon as they are notorious for bricking unsuspecting linefishers.

    Cheers,

    JSY

  3. #33

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Quote Originally Posted by squizzytaylor View Post
    Now or never, Ive got to say that the post was maybe a little ambiguous, how many were caught and by how many spearos? No offence but tackle shop staff love to have a yarn and spearos are generally very protective of thier good spots. I will say though that the spearos i know (and no I dont spear) would be the most responsible guys I know in most regards, and they are generally very selective in what they hit and are for the most part pro-sustainablility.

    Geoff
    They are caught on crab mate, often caught in the bay normally one or two not 8 or 9 at a time.

    And again if you guys can justify taking 8 big parrot like that from out MOrton Bay spear fishing then god help us all when my kids and there kids are to go fishing. Seems to me the attitude is its legal so do it.

    These fish arnt common, they are not like whiting or snapper in the bay.

  4. #34

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Quote Originally Posted by JSY View Post
    Nowornever, are you talking about parrotfish or tuskfish? I presume that you are talking about tuskfish (Labridae) rather than parrotfish (Scaridae). Parrotfish are rarely taken by anglers as they feed mainly on algae by scraping it off dead coral with their beak-like teeth. Tuskfish on the other hand possess conical-like canines that resemble tusks and use these to feed on a variety of organisms, mainly crustaceans. They are occasionally taken by anglers, particularly those that target them and are a prime target species for spearfishers.

    Some points to consider:
    Spearfishers are entitled to their bag limit of any species just as linefishers are entitled to their bag limit (most fishers, including the users of this forum, would happily take their bag limit of snapper on any given outing).
    Spearfishing is difficult.
    There are fewer days that are available for spearfishing compared with line fishing due to factors such as adequate visability and current.
    Spearfishers are limited by depth.
    Spearfishers face greater dangers compared with line fishers e.g. predators.
    Spearfishing is a discriminate method, line fishing is not.
    Spearfishing enables the targeting of species seldom caught on line e.g. parrotfish, and increases the difficulty (compared with line fishing) of catching other species e.g. snapper.
    Any person can linefish, far fewer are able to spearfish (successfully) due to reasons such as health and fitness levels, skill and fear, therefore there are far less spearfishers than line fishers.
    Spearfishing allows those who undertake it to appreciate the underwater environment.
    Spearing 5 x 10kg tuskies in the Bay in a single day would be as rare as rocking horse droppings.
    Spearing a tusky in the Bay that has fishing line and hooks in its mouth is not uncommon as they are notorious for bricking unsuspecting linefishers.

    Cheers,

    JSY
    Spear fishing involves geting in the water, In the Rainbow there are hudge sharks.

    So to you guys doing it good luck

  5. #35

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Quote Originally Posted by nowornever View Post
    Spear fishing involves geting in the water, In the Rainbow there are hudge sharks.

    So to you guys doing it good luck

    wow! that was a sudden change of heart
    " Sea 'n' Things " 420 Quintrex-Suzuki 30

  6. #36

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Blue Groper are a fairly easy target on spear, didn't we have a ban on spearing them? (i get confused between states) and isn't there a bag limit which is quite low?

    Good fun to catch on crab one of my favourite marks from the rocks in NSW, when spearing very often they are the only fish of spearable size I see, that didn't see me first!

    cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 07-04-2008 at 09:36 AM.



  7. #37

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Blue groper are illegal to spear in NSW bag limit on line is 2 but I don't hink He is talking about those

  8. #38

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cobia Kid View Post
    Listen buddy, I dont think that you are doing yourself any favours by speaking with this sort of attitude , Why cant you just respect everyone thoughts and opinons about this thread, this is after all a 'PUBLIC FORUM'
    Mate if you think about it spearfishing would take half as much fish as fisherman.
    There isn't as many spearfishos on the water, they cant go every weekend like most fisherman, as soon as the water gets a little dirty and takes a few weeks before they can go spearing again and in winter not many people go spearing.
    I love to fish and fish alot (anyone who knows me can tell you that ) and i fish catch and release mostly.I also spearfish when the water is nice.Its all sportand all fun if they where breaking the law i would be complaining as much as every one else but they are not breaking the law and the law is there for one reason so there is fish in the future.There is much better things to complain about like netters for one.
    cheers BK

  9. #39

    Re: Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

    No risk for no reward

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us