Thread: Info needed fishing Rhode Island and Massachusetts

Info needed fishing Rhode Island and Massachusetts

Hi guys,

I have been lucky enough to score a 3 week holiday in the US this July and am in need of some fishing info for Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Basically I will be more than happy if I catch is a couple of large mouth bass (in a lake around Massachusetts I am guessing?) and a Blue fish and or Striper around Rhode Island.
    I won't have a lot of cash to spend on charters unfortunately so will be attempting a lot of this land based with a good travel spin rod (unless there is any members of Ausfish that live over there that would like to take me out for a fish one day???).

I will be bored and looking for something to do at the start of the third week as the misses is going to a conference in Rhode Island, I am hopefully going to be able to find a nice spot to flick a few plastics around. Does anyone know any good land based locations around here where i might catch a bluefish or striper? Am i dreaming when thinking of a land based place like this?? Also is there another kind of fish I could target over there that is like our Bream that likes snags and good cover?? I will have a rental car so travel won't be a problem (as long as I can get use to driving on the wrong side of the road).

Any and all info appreciated!!!!

cheers
    Brandon...
    Last edited by BrandonH; 01-04-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: a little more info

Re: Info needed fishing Rhode Island and Massachusetts

Ok how about anyone knowing any US fishing forum's or other sites I could glean some infomation from??

cheers
    Brandon...

I can't help you brandon, but something you should consider is buying your gear over there, or at least stocking up on gear while you're there. I know you said you wouldn't have lots of money but fishing gear is quite cheap compared to Australia. I lived near DC for 12 months in 1993 and I have caught a few large mouth bass - but I am by no means an expert and I've never fished, nor been to the areas your talking about. I also never did any surf fishing so can't help with Bluefish(tailor) or stripeys.

Also I haven't spent a lot of time reading this forum but I stumbled acorss it a while ago from a yank who posted here on Ausfush. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but perhaps you could start here. You might pick up some info, or get re-directed to a more appropriate site.

http://www.surf-masters.com/msforum/default.asp

Have a good time!!!!

Awesome thanks Benno I do know that fishing gear is cheap over in the states, in fact one of the places we will be going to is LLBean, I was going to buy the travel rod and some gear there but I don't know when we will be making this trip to LLBean (I may want to go for a fish b4 this comes up) and looking at there site I have never heard of any of the brands they sell
    The trip to LLBean is probably the one thing that will stop me having the funds for a charter too

Anyways thanks heaps for the link and info will check it out soon!!

cheers
    Brandon...

Try getting with Ausfish member el_carpo or something, he's a yank and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Another amercican member is picatory pursuit.
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

[quote=BrandonH;793990]
    The trip to LLBean is probably the one thing that will stop me having the funds for a charter too

Mate I used to get a lot of gear from a place called The Sports Authority - its a department/chain type store, something like Annaconda or BCF but bigger. Rods, reels, placcies, HBs, terminal tackle . . . . etc They deffinitely sell penn, abu, berkley, rapala - its been too long to remember what other specific brands they sell. I do remember they sold gear for EVERY type of fishing/hunting. There would be other places too, but I lived close to a Sports authority so I spent a lot of time there.

here mate have a look here i found this site it looks like an aussie and yankie site if you sign up now you might be able to line up a few trips for when you get there and make sure you keep room for me and my rod in your suit case .

We'll expect some impressive photos when you get back Brandon. The record bluefish (tailor) for Rhode Island is 26lb. There's heaps of fishing sites on the web for all locations in the US - too many to search. If you know the exact locations you'll be staying I'd be 'googling' fishing in the local coastal towns. You usually find that they are keen to attract tourists and will brag about how good the fishing is in their local area.
    Another possibility is to find some fishing clubs and contact them. The yanks are always keen to show visitors why their place is the best in the world. Make sure you wear your "Crocodile Dundee' hat and you'll be sweet. Have a great time - lucky bugger!
    Cheers Freeeedom