Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Trout on the chew"..says Scott Hillier.

"Trout on the chew"..says Scott Hillier.

HI all,

I do not consider myself to be a great reef fisherman, but I usually manage to catch a feed.

I went out to Britomart last wednesday. Neap tides, and did not expect to catch too much, but it was the first break in the southeasterlies for about 6 weeks.

Expectations were met, with only three decent trout being caught in five hours between three of us .. plenty of sharks tho.

HOWEVER...on friday night on Townsville Seven local news, Scott Hillier reported that at long last, the reefs were accessed by many, and stated that "coral trout were really on the chew!"

Am I really that bad a fisherman, or were there others on the north Qld reefs last week on that three day break who didn't catch their quota of trout too.

I will say that we mainly fished the deep (20-30 metres), while the shots on seven news appeared to be in the shallows (6-10 metres).

Dave.

Re: "Trout on the chew"..says Scott Hillier.

Dave I sometimes wonder if these blokes are paid by tackle shops .just for example say the tackle shop got in a heap of reef bait then the bloke says the reef is going off and all the poor mugs that believed go and buy reef bait . I think they do it with muddies as well .
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

A mate of mine sat at the mouth of the elliot river last weekend and watched boat after boat return from outside. A lot of them stopped for a pie at the shop and most had bagged out on trout.
    Last edited by baitwaster; 01-04-2008 at 04:09 PM.

well I'd agree with him...sort of, I was out on good friday and would've bagged out on trout, only if they were just a bit bigger, I pulled 12 over the side in as little as an hour and a half fishing in 3.5m of water most were around 36-37 cm but there were some bloody tiddlers amongst them.

Yerah well Mr Scotty Hillier would have cleaned up if he was using the boat from Sea Patrol.
    It was probably filmed at the start of the year.
    Last edited by Taipan; 01-04-2008 at 07:17 PM.

Maybe you were fishing the wrong spot?

G'day Dave, i would'nt say your a bad fisherman, 20-30m is an ideal depth, up this way anyway, if you havnt pulled up a trout in the first 1/2 hr, move, try 2 -3 spots in that depth, if still no luck then try 5-10 m of water, always, my first drop of the line i put 2 large pillies down on the one hook, if they are down there it will fire them up ( just a teezer ) you will soon know if they are around, hope this helps, good luck

Daz

Is it just me or what is it about Scott Hillier's third person commentary... "Oh Scotty's on!",, "Oh come on Scotty",, "Scotty's got to work hard here!".

I don't think I'd like to be stuck on a boat with "Scotty" for too long regardless of his fishing ability or reports.

I think, depending on where you are, you are too deep for Trout....
    You want those bommies/reefs where 20-30 comes up to 5-10... IMO.

I have a spot that is 8m deep, I park up on top of it and have never missed taking home a trout or two. (I dont go for bag limits).

Scotty has a big mouth for sure, but he does know his stuff. I listen to what he says with the same regard I do the BOM and weather report.

Quote Originally Posted by suzygs1000 View Post
    Am I really that bad a fisherman, or were there others on the north Qld reefs last week on that three day break who didn't catch their quota of trout too.
    Don't feel too bad Dave, I'm going through one of the worst droughts I've ever had at the moment (fishing ones too ); it's all about perseverance. I'm yet to get my first trout that is legal, can get plenty of smaller ones.

From what I understand, what both Wahoo and Simmo have said is right.

Not getting a few fish sucks, but then again you could be home mowing the lawn too
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Quote Originally Posted by sandbankmagnet View Post
    Is it just me or what is it about Scott Hillier's third person commentary... "Oh Scotty's on!",, "Oh come on Scotty",, "Scotty's got to work hard here!".

I don't think I'd like to be stuck on a boat with "Scotty" for too long regardless of his fishing ability or reports.

HA HA, I hear ya' mate!!!

Reminds me of an old SEINFELD episode ....... "Jimmy likes.."
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

we bagged 21 last friday in 7 hrs around 90 ft mark , dont go for the shallower ones pros chase them to much for live export prefer bigger size always reckon the legal limit is to small for trout . they were on the chew all day every thing was ,nannys,reddies etc. thing was you didnt really have to chase around bommies, fish were moving in fact stripees were plentiful so up they come off with the head and back down and up would come a good trout or nanny.

just a quick note water temp was 28 so it is still quite hot also tides were neapish last week so best pick would be the reefs that doesnt run to much, yes some run quite strongly on neaps. as the water is hot would stick to nothing under 60 ft and try any nearby shoals.also trout are in better numbers around inshore reefs at this time of year this being the reason some are catching in shallow areas but far larger lurk in deeper waters. hope this helps

I usually fish in the deeper water to get my best trout, 20m -60m. anchor up- current of bommies in the shallower water 20-35m and moving every 1/2 hour.In the deeper stuff i mainly drift , Using flesh bait with a pilly hooked on the end as burley or a teaser..

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    Dave I sometimes wonder if these blokes are paid by tackle shops .just for example say the tackle shop got in a heap of reef bait then the bloke says the reef is going off and all the poor mugs that believed go and buy reef bait . I think they do it with muddies as well .
    Stuie
    Seen that one before.
    Tacklo buys up big on vertical jigs. Next week in the local rags fishing section the same guy states that kingfish are on the go with a catch rate of 2 to 3 per outing.All well and good ,there were kingies about caught a few over the previous weeks(Tassie North east) but 2-3 per session blar blar more like 1 every 2-3 sessions.That week-end we were battling the the week-end warriors in every thing from 12 foot tinnies to 7m platies( the horde) to fish a spot that i saw only a couple of boats on over the previous weeks(the hardcores).Most had left with-in an hour. He sold a heap of jigs for a few days prior to that week-end.
    Good for his business short term yes
    Good for his business over the long term may-be not.
    Cheers
    Reidy