Thread: 45 Degree angle for graphite rods

45 Degree angle for graphite rods

On a website it says if you have your rod at over 45 degrees you are putting too much pressure on the tip and it could snap, but my friend said he has reeled in a fish at almost a 90 degree angle,what are your opinions on this?I was catching cod at the marina and got a few cod,but it didn't feel right lifting the fish out of the water,is a landing net essential for this?have you seen anyone's rod snap because they lift it over 45 degrees,any info appreciated,

CHEERS
    Regards
    Dylan

Re: 45 Degree angle for graphite rods

it will depend on the angle of the line, if it is directly below you and you lift the Rod vertical (high stick) then indeed you are asking for a very expensive surprise, but if the Fish is way out, then it is not so dangerous, but should still be avoided, high sticking Rod will certainly test it's endurance, and your pocket plus the Warranty on any Rod.

Most certainly agree with you noel, high sticking will kill a rod as sure as the sun rises , rods are designed to take the weights that fish load on them as so should perform within those design parameters.When you take a rod outside of the design /construction parameters then you are asking for trouble.At least ours do.
    IAN

yep thats right over 45 degree's is a fair bit of pressure for a light rod. what i like to do if i am fishing a jetty/ bridge with my soft plastics i will take a slightly heavier rod or a mnet that i have made which i throw down attached to a rope with pool noodles attached over the bar so it floats and i drag the fish into it so i don't have to vertically lift it. i remember fishing at tangalooma off the jetty i swear i nearly broke by rod several times dude to lifting great sized bream straight up 1 time i thought i did brake it but it was the 2lb fluorocarbon snapping lifting a 30cm+ bream .

regards,
    keechie
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

cheers everyone
    Regards
    Dylan

Apart from the actual fight it is important not to lift the fish in with the rod. Too much bend = SNAP!.

Use a landing net, perform a comfort lift or grab the leader. Net is best

thanks Tetsuo
    Regards
    Dylan

Fly fishoes are notorious for snapping their light fly rods! ( trout fishing in particular).
    Usually netting the fish ie: Rod tip pointed straight up & they then try to net the fish around their ankles ..... PING!
    Such a expensive lesson learnt about poor technique

Nagg

Good day,
    Have a look at the shimano warr. claim thread.
    High sticking ?
    Chers
    Reidy