Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tips for fishing the coomera river

Re: tips for fishing the coomera river

Nothing wrong with 6hp. Do you have a fishfinder on the boat? That will be your next investment.....

The place where riverlinks comes into the river has good fish on the runin tide. If your coming from the M1 bridge, its the first canal entrance, and fish near the rockwall on the left corner.

Go downriver past the railway bridge, and just around the main bend before you get to Riviera marine, on your right is a rocky spot, marked with a Danger/rocks sign. Anywhere within 30-50 ft of those rocks is good. Theres a deep hole there in the middle.

Santa BArbara rocks are also ok, but can be hit and miss.

Near the Tallawood rd ramp is a public jetty that holds good fish. Any of the pontoons opposite Sanc Cove have fish.

That should get you started boys. Its just a matter of putting in some hours at the time the fish are biting.

Marty does pretty good with lures early in the day, I get my fish on mullet fillets at night. Daytime is pretty useless. I fish a lot of other locations as well, like the broadwater and nerang rivers, but I started off learning around those spots near you.

good luck boys, take some pics and post your results.

ANdrew

Boys, Gecko and Marty are right on with their advice. I don't think you'll find a jack fisher that'll put you onto their spot X, especially on an open forum like this anyway. But the important thing is structure ( rocks, fallen trees, jettys, ect), if its any sort of structure it could hold MJ's, so through a few lures at it and don't stop at 1 or 2 try 7-8 before you move on. Get yourself a cheap sounder, it'll help enormously. Even shallow water down to about 30cm.
    Persistence is the key, put lots of time in and it'll come good. You'll learn something new every time u go out, so hang in there, it's worth it. As gecko said the season is pretty much over now, so start again in late spring and be prepared to put the hours in, and you'll be one of the local experts yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko View Post
    Nothing wrong with 6hp. Do you have a fishfinder on the boat? That will be your next investment.....

The place where riverlinks comes into the river has good fish on the runin tide. If your coming from the M1 bridge, its the first canal entrance, and fish near the rockwall on the left corner.

Go downriver past the railway bridge, and just around the main bend before you get to Riviera marine, on your right is a rocky spot, marked with a Danger/rocks sign. Anywhere within 30-50 ft of those rocks is good. Theres a deep hole there in the middle.

Santa BArbara rocks are also ok, but can be hit and miss.

Near the Tallawood rd ramp is a public jetty that holds good fish. Any of the pontoons opposite Sanc Cove have fish.

That should get you started boys. Its just a matter of putting in some hours at the time the fish are biting.

Marty does pretty good with lures early in the day, I get my fish on mullet fillets at night. Daytime is pretty useless. I fish a lot of other locations as well, like the broadwater and nerang rivers, but I started off learning around those spots near you.

good luck boys, take some pics and post your results.

ANdrew
    ive fished under the M1 bridge and havnt had a good success there but i will try around rock walls

thanks for the help
    The best place to fish is "in the water"

tom

Under the M1 bridge is useless and too noisy, but not far from there in either direction is ok.

Inside riverlinks under pontoons is good too, no need to go too far, just do it in the dark, and dont make too much noise. An electric motor will help sneak up on the fish, but its not essential.

Only Didley would give away the best spot x around.........lol.

Quote Originally Posted by the gecko View Post
    Under the M1 bridge is useless and too noisy, but not far from there in either direction is ok.

Inside riverlinks under pontoons is good too, no need to go too far, just do it in the dark, and dont make too much noise. An electric motor will help sneak up on the fish, but its not essential.

Only Didley would give away the best spot x around.........lol.
    ok lol

so u got any hidden spots to share
    hahaha

tom

Quote Originally Posted by coomera-champ101 View Post
    ok lol

so u got any hidden spots to share
    hahaha
    Don't do it gecko, being helpful is one thing, but spot X is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Don't do it gecko, being helpful is one thing, but spot X is another.
    C,mon be a sport, hes only 15, hows he ever gonna learn if he cant catch any, lol kidding, but it would be nice to give him a few spots!!
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't."

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

Bream: 40cm - Whiting: 41cm - Flathead: 62cm

Quote Originally Posted by Gold_Coast_Chaser View Post
    C,mon be a sport, hes only 15, hows he ever gonna learn if he cant catch any, lol kidding, but it would be nice to give him a few spots!!

We told him about spot X by PM, but he's been told not to tell anybody else, so u leave him alone

Didley,

These two guys fish together so keeping Spot X a secret from Dylan will be hard - perhaps he can fish with a blindfold on . Just kidding fellas.

You two guys have been given a lot of good tips and a few secret spots from some of us that took us years to find. I am sure if you take on board a small percentage of what you have been told you should do well. I know you have a trip planned this weekend and the weather is not looking favourable for lure fishing, but don't be put off. We have all had bad sessions, but it is those bad sessions that make the good ones so memorable. I can still remember vividly all my first and PB fish.

Looking forward to hearing how you boys go this weekend, and also catching up on the water soon.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty_z View Post
    Didley,

These two guys fish together so keeping Spot X a secret from Dylan will be hard - perhaps he can fish with a blindfold on . Just kidding fellas.

You two guys have been given a lot of good tips and a few secret spots from some of us that took us years to find. I am sure if you take on board a small percentage of what you have been told you should do well. I know you have a trip planned this weekend and the weather is not looking favourable for lure fishing, but don't be put off. We have all had bad sessions, but it is those bad sessions that make the good ones so memorable. I can still remember vividly all my first and PB fish.

Looking forward to hearing how you boys go this weekend, and also catching up on the water soon.

Marty

yer the weather isnt looking to good but it won stop us haha

tom

yer the weather isnt looking to good but it won stop us haha
    On this subject of lure fishing in wind, is it better to fish in places that are known to have fish but arent protected by the wind much,

or fishing in protected waters even ther unknown fishing areas such as up as many canals as we can??

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

ur 15 aswell

tom

Re: fishing the coomera river

yer i was thinking about that but there is always alot of skiers around there and it could be a hard place to fish
    dont worry about the skiers mate, take a barra rod they are a great fight on lures,

if only bullsharks would take more of them....

ur 15 aswell
    I know, i was just trying to get u a couple of spots mate lol, so maybe we could actually catch something!!

Cheers, Dylan

PB's

On this subject of lure fishing in wind, is it better to fish in places that are known to have fish but arent protected by the wind much,

or fishing in protected waters even ther unknown fishing areas such as up as many canals as we can??
    Try both. Fish are not always predictable and certain winds will change the way fish feed. It may come down to what feels most comfortable, and of course which one gets results.

As previously mentioned, you will struggle to keep your line tight if you are fishing with light lures in the wind. You should be able to find canals that run across the wind direction and that will allow you to fish the protected sides of the canal. Of course if you are planning to cast lures and don't have an electric motor you will get blown around a fair bit, which will make it hard to pepper an area.

Marty