Thread: Removing guides - how to?

Removing guides - how to?

G'day All
    I'm wanting to replace a casting guide that got crushed on an old, but favorite shimano rod. All the rod building DVDs I have and you tube clips I've seen deal with putting the guides on and not how to replace them.
    Are there any special tricks, methods etc that I should be aware of or is it simply a case of attacking the epoxy and thread with a sharp knife and then sanding out the scratches and dings before replacing with a new guide?
    Any advice gratefully received
    Oz

Re: Removing guides - how to?

Gday Ozwald this is from a rodbuilding site.

Use a razor blade to slice through the epoxy and thread on the top of the guide foot/feet. (NEVER cut against the blank, only on top of the metal guide surface.) Peel off as much of the wrap as you can. Then try to grab a strand of thread just off the end of where the guide foot was and unwind the remainder of the wrap.

Most of the epoxy will have been removed when you removed the thread. Some, however, may remain at the edge/s where the wrap was. Use a hair dryer to gently soften this epoxy and with your fingernail or a plastic butter knife, scrape or peel this remaining bit of finish off the blank.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Dave
    Nice one, thanks.
    Oz

G'day Oz

You might like to try a little heat first to soften the epoxy. It makes things a lot easier to get off. I use a Sharp Stanley knife and actually try and scrape away the epoxy over the guide feet. In this way you don't accidentally slip with the blade and cutt into the blank. Once you get the guide off, clean the area with some metho. The area should now be ready for the new guide or underwrap.

If you take all the guides off and want to re-furbish the rod, use the same method. Sometimes it pays to just lightly sand the blank with very fine wet and dry and then put a coat of epoxy over the blank. I rinse my fingers in some metho and then once it's dry use your fingers to apply the epoxy very thinly with your fingers dragging the epoxy towards the tip. This way you get a really thin coat of epoxy over the blank without runs. It also sets up quickly. If you use a brush you will get heaps of runs in the epoxy.

Regards
    Mark
    Outback Rods

Mark
    Thanks for the suggestions; having had fun hacking at the epoxy off with a stanley I think a little heat would have been a great help! I'll try the epoxy trick next time I strip a rod.
    Mark