Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which soap to put in a shrimp trap

which soap to put in a shrimp trap

I have asked previously on here about what bait to use in a shrimp trap, and soap was suggested as being good because of the lard that is in it. So I went to the supermarket and looked at the ingredients on the soap bars and it turns out you need to be some kind of chemist to figure out which ones have lard. So I was wondering if people could post what brand has worked for them.

thanks.

Re: which soap to put in a shrimp trap

pure sunlight soap is the go
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

homebrand works allright, i dont use that myself though lol

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by cammy View Post
    homebrand works allright, i dont use that myself though lol

Cammo
    yea home brand works allrite. but for youself cammy i would suggest a Dove mositurising soap.
    "True Blue"

The little soaps that you get in motels work a treat........just 1/2 or 1/4 them and put them behind a wad of gum leaves in the base of a fruit tin (the ones a bit bigger than a soup tin). Then tie the tin on the end of some string. Throw the tin in the water and in no time at all you have bait...........works every time.
    Last edited by fish-n-dive; 26-03-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added more info
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Many years ago certain people used the cheap sh!t soap supplied by the then leading communications company in wire net traps placed in the Fitzroy River to catch Cherabin - worked a treat with the exception that the traps had to be checked at least twice a day or the Cherabin got to taste a bit soapy

Ah - fresh Cherabin washed down with good old western full strength p!ss - memories oh the memories

While on memories - the fly/ mossy spray they supplied us made a good degreaser and also a lubricant for frozen and rusted up tools

Instead of soap a good bait is the fat from around lamb/mutton kidneys. As long as there is no meat attached, the fat will last for ages in the trap without going rotten, yet still attract shrimp, plus feed those caught. Mike.

yeh heard the sunlight soap is the gun soap, but any would do the job, i also freeze my fish frames and use them( YELLOW BELLY FRAMES ) cheers bdowdy.brett

I would be using bait that comes naturally to the shrimp, unless you are targeting shrimp that don't need cleaning as opposed to the grubby,hippy, greeny type of shrimp?
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/

I agree with BDOWDY I have tried soaps and they disolve. I just cut up by Bass or Yellos frames even the skin off a fillet.

You will hear of a lot of wonderful baits.

Want to to now how to keep them alive for weeks ?

Regards Gordon

When the misses and I were fruit picking at Glossop in the late 60s , we used to use the metal grape baskets as they had plenty of holes ,tie a piece of sunlight soap in the bottom and cover with gum leaves . Worked a treat and always got more than enough for a feed and bait .
    cheers Terry

Hi All
    For best results if you can get your hands on the old fashioned velvet soap that was sold in bars that works ok.

For a better environment have you thought of buying a small can of cat food- like black and gold sardines in oil. Pierce the side of the cans so the oil leaks out and put that in the pot.

Ronnie

I've used soap before and it does work but I prefer to use a little dry dog food these days. You need only use less than a match box full in each trap and it works great. Just keep some in a old tupperware container with my shrimp traps, it doesn't go off, much cheeper than soap and it works better.
    Hope this helps
    Mike

dunno about shrimp but when setting traps for cherabin we found the best bait to a half a boiled potato and half an orange together....potato or orange by itself worked ok but putting them both together worked heaps better....dry dogfood didn't really work and where we target cherabin putting meat or fish in the traps is a big no no because of the large swamp dogs that get around...sorry to get OT

Good on ya Ronnie .... there is no place for soap in our struggling waterways.

Just as natural bait is best for fish, so it would be for shrimp ... or any other animal.