Thread: help please

help please

ok im buying a 2nd hand fly rod for estuary i believe an 8wt with backing and line already attached. what else will i need? what leader and tippet? i have done surface fly before and was wanting to keep going with that for a while. what flies should i use? and what knots will i need to know? any tiops appreciated even if i didnt specify that i needed help with that area. im a complete newbie to fly so explain in detail please.

cheers

daniel

Re: help please

Best advice is go to your local tackleshop that has fly fishers frequenting it and talk to the staff there.They will put you onto what is currently working in your area and probably give you a handfull of hints that are suited more to your area.

Myself i use a 9' tapered leader with either a 6lb or 8lb tippet for estuary work and 12lb or 16lb for bay work on tuna and mackeral. I have 2 "go to" flies for tuna and mackeral that I make up myself that are basically very thin white tarpon flies on 2/0 hooks one being with a red throat and one with a light green back.
    For estuary work its whatever I think might work on the snag im working over. Could be anything from a green wooly bugger to a 6" blue and white deceiver or even a mouse. Last time I sloshed a fly around in salt i was using bead headed nymphs for trout and catching bream on them so don't get narrow minded with fly selections.

Jack.

when I am chasing Bream here in Adelaide i find they shy away from 8lb .perhaps you should try 4 to 6 lb.
    Have caught bream on freshwater flies before I was told they weren't for the salt.slat water flies everything from Gurglers to bait fish imitations will catch a Bream if they are hungry.

I quess any bait fish imitating stripping flies would be the go up there.The lighter the tippet the better.8w is good for punching into the wind.
    Cheers and good luck with your wand
    Reidy