Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Largest Whiting?

Largest Whiting?

Not sure if this has been posted before but I can't get over these Whiting people are catching upwards of 40cm - I have NEVER seen one this big. Anywhere near this big.
    What is the largest you've ever caught?
    Thanks
    Robert

Re: Largest Whiting?

Robert, my largest is 42cm at Caloundra. When I caught this one he was the largest of fish ranging from 35cm to 42cm with the average caught 38-39cm.

Thanks Shagga
    I find it so hard to believe they are this size

I have caught numerous 40cm ones on the beach.
    What the real question is and I have asked this before is if anyone has caught a genuine 1kg SAND WHITING......NOT KING GEORGE!!!

I have never seen a genuine 1kg sand whiting although I did see one that came close caught at the Gold Coast.

Pete

Hey Rob
    Sadly i have never cracked that 40 cm mark. But my lovely wife has ,only just!
    We have a bloke at work that regularly catche's 42 ta 46cm (apparently) On Bribie surf side.
    Still waiting to see the evidance but i guess he will bring them in with his 4 kg dart.
    Err yea!!!
    Cheer's Payney

I have caught a 42cm whiting at night at donnybrook .apparantly the locals know where to consistantly get big whiting though i have only ever got the one
    Last edited by seajay535; 24-03-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Hey lads, caught a 43 cm model in the Mooloolah river a few years back when I was living on the sunny coast, (see pic), used to catch a few in currimundi crk, all between 35-40cm. Had to use an electric motor to sneak up on them in the shallows. I also caught a 39 cm whiting yesterday just north of bundaberg.ps yabbies and small soldior crabs best bait by far.
    Bag em 'n' Tag em,
    Gumbo1

I caught a 42cm on a 3" p/s powerbait in the surf up the coast on Alex beach then all the surfers rocked up and took over.

Mick.

Ern Grant says they (summer or yellowfin whiting) grow to a known weight of 1.25kgs, what a snogger that would be!!

I have caught them to 45/46cm many years ago in and around Lane Cove. Used to fish for them around dusk on the edges of mud and sandbanks close to the shore (I was landbased). I used live bloodworms and light tackle (2kgs), Slowly winding the bait across the bottom. Only usually got one or two but they were always elbow slappers. They tended to be somewhat dark coloured river fish, not the nice silver shine they have out the bay or off the beach. A bit like lagoon barra.

Have not struck them anywhere near that size in the Bay, but I mainly chase the winter whiting these days anyway. As other threads on Ausfish show, they are there if you want to target them though.

Cheers

Dave

Here is 3 that went 44 cm, still trying to get one bigger they are out there. cheers Wayne

Landed a 44cm model a few weeks back at donnybrook photo on here somewhere nice models you have there youngy

shane

in this months bush n beach mag there is a picture of a 1.005 kg whiting at 42cm.
    it is so fat it looks more like a footy than anything. its a genuine catch in some sunny coast comp i think

Hey,

I got a 41cm Whiting years ago in Gold Coast Canals, 750g an absolute snodger.
    Heard stories when i was a kid fishing islands in CQ, guys talking about 1.5-2kg Whiting, funny looking Whiting though no yellow fins........guess what they were catching?? Just out of interest i caught one of these "Funny Whiting" and yes they go like a freight train! I wonder how many 1kg Whiting you hear about are in fact Bonefish, not that many people have seen them and for the uninfomed they look pretty similar. Just like the 4kg Bream you hear guys catching, especially in Bne River and M.Bay and then you see a photo and it's a Grunter, or the 2kg Bream you hear about in the Surf and Bingo a Tarwhine. Prob happens more than we think.

Matt

I can't believe these whiting - they are enormous.
    I've never targeted whiting and I do enjoy catching ones I don't have to check to see if they are legal.
    Thanks guys for sharing.

I've got to give them a try
    Robert

my biggest is aonly a 32 cm one caught at bribie, and yes the nippers r the best bait!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons