Thread: Largest Whiting?

Re: Largest Whiting?

They are out there,
    Got this one last friday morn at Donny
    Nearly 44 and didnt get a weight unfortunately,
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    I have caught numerous 40cm ones on the beach.
    What the real question is and I have asked this before is if anyone has caught a genuine 1kg SAND WHITING......NOT KING GEORGE!!!

I have never seen a genuine 1kg sand whiting although I did see one that came close caught at the Gold Coast.

Pete
    Pete- please excuse my rudeness at not reading thru the next 4 pages. As a young bloke in SA /Kang Isl/ Lincoln- Sandies(Yellows) They do crack the 1kg. I know its not the same area mate but they do get there with ease.

Gees, now i'm thinking of half Pillies for thistle island KG's.

Lincoln Cous just bought me up sme KG fillets last month. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Cheers Scott

i have had 53 as biggest,but my mate has caught 65cm
    First time out he said u need a stiffer rod.my thoughts were "yeh right".
    first hookup and i changed the rod..geez do these things get some power behind them.
    We would hit patches of them and just wound them straight in on 6/20lb braid,no time to waste..bagged out in 20 mins.nothing kept under 40cm
    Right place at the right time..sweet

Cool Re: Largest Whiting?

gday got two large whiting one 32 and one 31. one on a worm and one on a yabbie. in the pumicestone passage
    CHEERS BRAD

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    i have had 53 as biggest,but my mate has caught 65cm
    First time out he said u need a stiffer rod.my thoughts were "yeh right".
    first hookup and i changed the rod..geez do these things get some power behind them.
    We would hit patches of them and just wound them straight in on 6/20lb braid,no time to waste..bagged out in 20 mins.nothing kept under 40cm
    Right place at the right time..sweet
    SPEARS- you must be yarning about KG's hey? 65 Yellowfin/summer? i will eat my hat and a couple others mate. Please prove me wrong and i will start giving the eastuary a go...

Cheers Scott

Not sure if this has been posted before but I can't get over these Whiting people are catching upwards of 40cm - I have NEVER seen one this big. Anywhere near this big.
    What is the largest you've ever caught?
    Thanks
    Robert

You would only get these in SA around kangaroo island and york peninsular on a regular basis
    but they won't be all 65cm..that's a rare catch

I think this is all about sand whiting,as i saw the word "whiting".
    i'm talking about KING GEORGE!!!

Go to you tube and type
    King George Whiting Bag Out!!!

Or for a laugh
    TAKE ME WHERE THE WHITING ARE BITING

Here's a few for u.
    Beast

If i remember correctly there was a 1kg fish that won the straddie classic years back and won the classic catch for the comp and got $3000 that must be in the archives somewhere, probably a jurasic fish as i think it was caught by the same bloke that won the biggest bream back when little was known of the lake.

45cm, 750 grams, LOgan River, my daughters first ever fish.She asked" Is that good "
    Couldnt stop laughing.
    David

Yep, Logan River produces quite a few. Night and day. Need to fish light and shallow, long traces.

My best so far 45cm and 765gm. When they're on, can get quite a few over 40cm. Any fish 40cm and above is very good going and puts up a decent fight.

Comments in earlier post re mistaking them during the fight for stingrays is spot on! So dont bust off what you think is a stingray until you see it....

Best bait = soldier crabs.

Grant

I have caught quite a few over 40 and heaps and heaps between 35-40 at caloundra on surface lures (mainly ecogears px45 and 45 bubblepops), i catch so many on surface lures that is all i use for whiting and easily out number people i know using live yabbies and solider crabs

I caught my biggest Whiting yesterday in the Gold Coast Broadwater & it must have been the unluckiest fish in Australia!! I picked up a cast net on Friday & after watching the video on here that shows you how to cast I had a few practise casts in my back yard & then went down the coast yesterday arvo to see if I could catch any bait? I didnt hold out much hope after all the rain & when I got there the water was really dirty.

1st cast was a shocker & the net opened up about a quarter of the way and was shaped kind of like a sausage when it hit the water. I pulled it straight back in to have another go & this poor bugger was in the net, he went 34cm. After about another 20 casts(some good, most not so good) I put it away & went home with one fish for dinner. He went 34cm & I got a couple of nice fillets off him!

here's a 40cm model. Took a 20 gram metal off the GC seaway rockwall.

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

we've a couple around the 45 cm mark one that went just over forty five . in pumistone passage will post up some picks soon

Youngy has bettered his personal best for whiting now.
    45cm 804gms, weighed in and witnessed at the nugget fishing comp, logan river parklands.

That whiting is a meal in itself

Bretty