Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Largest Whiting?

Re: Largest Whiting?

i thought the king george whiting where about 60cm. ive seen a few shows on tv where they have fished for em and they looked a lot bigger than 40cm.
    "True Blue"

hey
    iv not quite got up near the 40 mark yet but 32cm is my biggest

Quote Originally Posted by youngy View Post
    I am sorry to dissapoint you BBALLFISHO but the fish in Bush and Beach is not a kilo and it is not 42 cm, it was 47 cm and 975 grms caught by Andy Jones of Ipswich in Tally Creek at Xmas on a bloodworm, it was the biggest and best Whiting i have ever seen.
    He actualy tried to break it of before he saw it because he thought it was a stingray it fought that hard, then when he did get it to the boat he didn't have a landing net and had to use a big bucket for a landing net.
    This is all true as i know Andy well and saw the fish myself he also had a 44 cm fish the same day .cheers Wayne.

Gday, im happy to be corrected there now i realise i got the facts mixed up, i had heard of a massive specimen from the passage that went 42 cm 1.005kg its not confirmed by a picture though so its open to speculation i spose.

if its not a kilo its close enough, i was going by what the caption said. pretty bloody massive fish though the biggest i can boast is a few 38 cm specimens of the beach which are still bloody big whiting

48cm .I dug a pictures later if anyone interested.
    cheers
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Quote Originally Posted by fivefishes View Post
    Chief 1,

Is that a new reel to chase Queenies maybe?

Matt
    It could probably work with the queenies,not sure though,maybe not enough line on it
    Regards
    Dylan

41cm at coomera thought that was agood one till i saw youngys. cheers bdowdy...brett

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    48cm .I dug a pictures later if anyone interested.
    cheers
    George

48cm whooaa if you have a picture to back this up i think it might take gold.
    "True Blue"

Years ago when i was wee fisher type lad, i was helping the mullet boys at woody heads, Iluka NSW, pull in the nets and some of the by-catch was whitting. I remember clearly these fish would be summer whitting 50cm plus models. Best i have done since in the river would be 39cm fish, but my old man (local now) has done better than 40cm, not of recent times as the pro's have had no choice but to hammer the river.
    Cheers,
    Chong

Quote Originally Posted by fivefishes View Post
    Hey,

I got a 41cm Whiting years ago in Gold Coast Canals, 750g an absolute snodger.
    Heard stories when i was a kid fishing islands in CQ, guys talking about 1.5-2kg Whiting, funny looking Whiting though no yellow fins........guess what they were catching?? Just out of interest i caught one of these "Funny Whiting" and yes they go like a freight train! I wonder how many 1kg Whiting you hear about are in fact Bonefish, not that many people have seen them and for the uninfomed they look pretty similar. Just like the 4kg Bream you hear guys catching, especially in Bne River and M.Bay and then you see a photo and it's a Grunter, or the 2kg Bream you hear about in the Surf and Bingo a Tarwhine. Prob happens more than we think.

Matt
    I'm not sure on how many 2kg bream are around in qld but every year here at iluka/yamba we get half a dozen 1.8-2.5kg bream weighed in. Always very round fish and high shoulders.

My youngest son caught one at least 40cm a few years ago at teewah we had driven across from Rainbow and I was casting out a fair way and catching some big dart I made a cast and gave him the rod and told him to wait for the strike. As I walked to bait another rod I see him slowly reeling in, little bugger . about a minute later I turn to see him drag someting up the beach and thinking that is not a dart but one big horse elbow slapper.

here is the link :http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...onster+whiting -looks like its 49cm too -got to stop drinkin i guess
    Unfortunately pictures gone since previous serverchange
    I think i got them somewhere ,but i lost a lot of pics due computercrash last year.
    George
    Last edited by manchild; 28-03-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

Hi guys, just joined today so thought I'd add something.
    Biggest whiting I've caught was over the 1kg mark, 1.1kg actually. Sand whiting 42cm. Caught it while fishing for Barra on live prawns. Pretty shocked when it came in actually. Never seen one that big again though
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Decap81 View Post
    Hi guys, just joined today so thought I'd add something.
    Biggest whiting I've caught was over the 1kg mark, 1.1kg actually. Sand whiting 42cm. Caught it while fishing for Barra on live prawns. Pretty shocked when it came in actually. Never seen one that big again though
    Cheers
    Hi Decap
    great catch, got any photos of the 42cm 1.1kg
    must have been a fat fish.
    cheers
    UN

Very Fat, went fishing yesterday morning in the estuaries and my old man got a 38cm one (we caught about 20 nice ones all up). And yes that one was really fat, so was the one yesterday, it actually jumped out of the water when hooked? So many about we were catching them on dirty old squid in the end. I'm in Central Qld so I'm not sure what species they are?

In the passgae i get plenty of whiting over 40cm and I'm trying to break 50cm with the biggest so far going 48cm.

I won't tell you my spots but i'll share some tips. Where i get the big snodgers is where the water is shallower than the length of the fish. Fish as light(Line and sinker) as possible with a long trace.

Put some time in and its well worth it.

Scott