Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Largest Whiting?

Re: Largest Whiting?

IRMC000

It could be where you're fishing not necessarily how.
    I've caught huge whiting at Teewah beach in the surf, often when targeting big Dart in the deep gutters with whole Pippies.
    In my experience they don't seem to hang around with the little fella's, if you are measuring every fish you can prob forget about that 40cm fish.

We always used to target the whiting during the day in the surf, the edges of gutters, spits and melon holes, usually with worms and we caught plenty. However i can't remember catching a horse in those locations always got em in the deep clean gutters, normally with big pippie baits.
    Hope it helps,

Matt
    Last edited by fivefishes; 24-03-2008 at 08:11 PM.

I am sorry to dissapoint you BBALLFISHO but the fish in Bush and Beach is not a kilo and it is not 42 cm, it was 47 cm and 975 grms caught by Andy Jones of Ipswich in Tally Creek at Xmas on a bloodworm, it was the biggest and best Whiting i have ever seen.
    He actualy tried to break it of before he saw it because he thought it was a stingray it fought that hard, then when he did get it to the boat he didn't have a landing net and had to use a big bucket for a landing net.
    This is all true as i know Andy well and saw the fish myself he also had a 44 cm fish the same day .cheers Wayne.

My PB was 37.2cm,would like to crack that 40cm though
    Regards
    Dylan

Chief 1,

Is that a new reel to chase Queenies maybe?

Matt

ok my best has hit the 44cm mark weighing 820g.

i have fished with a mate that in an over night session we landed 34 fish largest going 45cm and smallest keeper at 32cm i think.

was great fun and they sure do fight hard.
    "True Blue"

Yeah I have caught a couple over 40 in the currimundi lake. There were heaps of them hanging around the dredge machine getting fat on all the food in the water. Also there were even more there 1 time when the lake had been closed for a while, i suppose all the whiting that had come in at high tide had been trapped in there and just kept getting bigger because they were unable to get to sea. That was a good week.

This is a king george whiting i caught a few months back down near Geelong (Pt Lonsdale) it is 50cm but a baby to the ones i have seen caught down there. The best eating fish in the ocean if you ask me. This might sound strange, we fish for whiting with pipi on the smaller rods, pipi will catch whiting from 30 to 40 cm. I have never seen a whiting over 40cm caught on pipi, all on half pilchard on the bigger rods. This has amazed me as pipi down south (vic) is by far the best bait for whiting.
    Last edited by hird05; 26-03-2008 at 08:57 AM.

regularly catch them 40+ down the logan river on bloodworms.best going 44.i just can't believe the size of the heads on them when they get that big,you can hardly get your hand around them.

I picked up a 40cm unit in the cast net once by accident. Decided it would make a good entree to the all the prawns I was catching, so into the bucket it went. Waded out for the next cast and as I was walking back in I spotted a crane that had the fished the whiting out of the bucket and had it halfway down its throat.

Smile Re: Largest Whiting?

Great thread.

I've attached a photo of a pretty big whiting I caught this summer on a popper. I didn't measure it, but it would be close to 40cm ... Judge for yourself.

I've found these bigger ones can go on a great first run on shallow sand flats. I'm a big fan of catching them on light gear.

Fly Fisher

"You can never have too much fishing tackle"

Quote Originally Posted by hird05 View Post
    This is a king george whiting i caught a few months back down near Geelong (Pt Lonsdale) it is 50cm but a baby to the ones i have seen caught down there. The best eating fish in the ocean if you ask me. This might sound strange, we fish for whiting with pipi on the smaller rods, pipi will catch whiting from 30 to 40 cm. I have never seen a whiting over 40cm caught on pipi, all on half pilchard on the bigger rods. This has amazed me as pipi down south (vic) is by far the best bait for whiting.
    Yeah I had a simalr incident to this fishing the bridge at bribe one day. i was fishing the usual droper rig with a pilly tail on bottom hook and prawn on top hook. got a bite so i brought it up and to my sirprise a whiting around 30cm had taken my pillie bait not a monster by any means but still the first whiting (so far) ive caught on a pilchard.
    "True Blue"

My little man caught this one off Margate beach ages ago, didn't measure it though. Would have to be close to 40.......ish. Now he's catching them on plastics.
    I caught one a little bigger when I was a young bloke out of North creek in Ballina. My parents have that photo. They put up a bit of a fight when they get a bit of size about them.

IRMC000, they're out there mate,

how big is a granny smith apple? You do the maths cause I didn't measure 'em.

Cheers,
    Mick
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The largest whiting I ever caught was at Evans Head it was 2 inchs longer than a stubby box.

Have caught lots of King George ranging from 30 to 35cm just off the 5 mile reef at werribe south..............Biggest i landed was 41cm off the rocks near apollo bay............they go crazy on raw chicken....pippies also good.Ive heard the best place is South Australia ranging 40cm average size