Thread: Batteries not charging properly

Batteries not charging properly

Went out on the weekend and noticed my battery gauge blinking at me telling me I am only charging at 11.2 volts, I am pretty sure my charging system is on the way out as I have checked all conections are tight and both batteries are at the same rate, has anyone had similar problem with charging. the motor is a HPDI 175 Yammy.
    Regards Beefa.

Re: Batteries not charging properly

You really need to put a voltmeter across the battery to confirm that it is not charging at a high enough voltage. If you don't have one you can buy digital ones at around the $12.00 mark these days. They are very handy to have.

Just had a similar problem with my motor that's been completely rebuilt (Johnson 140), and the guys tracked it to the "Rectifier", replaced it with one from an outboard wreckers and now no probs.

Cheers
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

I have had 2 new batteries put in after having it checked out properly, they told me the batterires were on there way out and once they put new ones in it was getting 13.2v and 8amps going into batteries @ 2000rpm. so the next weekend I go out and best I can get is 12.8 volts on the way to moreton and back. How many volts should my engine be putting out and also how many amps., I would have assumed I would be at 13.8 if all is OK.
    Rgds Beefa.

Beefa,
    Your alternator should be putting out a bit over 13v when running. The current drawn will depend on how much the alternator is charging the batteries and supplying load for lights, electronics etc.

If your battery terminal voltage does not increase when the motor is running, it points to the charging circuit.

Regards,
    Clyde