Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: starter motor for winch

Re: starter motor for winch

Heres one I did for my boat, it rips it out in no time, I used a warn winch hand control to make it all a 1 man operation
    regards Beefa

Beefa,
    What motor did you use,and what is the ring gear . Do you just plug into your car battery,via the plug you have mounted?
    Any chance of a wiring diagram.
    David

David,
    I used a Toyota Landcruiser starter and ring gear, we turned down the ring gear and drilled holes to lighten it and also make it look a bit more pleasing to the eye, I have another anderson plug on the back of the car to plug into, My auto sparkie at work wired it for me but from what I can see he just used an off the shelf heavy duty starter relay, from there you can just put a push button into the plastic box containing the relay if you don't want to go to the extent of a remote switch.
    Let me know if yo want more info.
    regards Beefa

nice looking mate my setup is much the same but used slightly smaller starter and ring gear, just making it more compact, but it definally seemed to be the way to go, and its good the more load you put on it the better it works

Skipalong,
    Nice work !

Frank

skipalong,
    How about a pic of your unit
    David

A gaurd over the flywheel may be a good idea before someone gets their jacket caught.

Attached a a few pics I snapped at the boat ramp. Looks like a good weekend project.

Cheers Sam

here are a few pics, plan to put on guard and switch for easy operation

sorry bout that there was a delay on my computer, i also use a quick release clip so can undo chain and rope, when at ramp i can pull and slides off, just so the less time in the water the better.

Skipalong,what ring gear did you use?
    David

Why was your time when you can get plenty of cheap winches on the market. I have never see a good setup with a starter motor granted they work but there are too many exposed moving parts for someone to get their finger or clothes caught up in. OK when there was no alternative but not now.

I got a $99 winch to winch my caravan up a slope into my shed and it works like a dream. If you get one of the cheapies pull it apart and do some work like sparay it with lanotec and do it regularly and it will be all you want. If it groans too much use a pully to reduce the winch load.

Talking Re: starter motor for winch

dnej hey david used a flex plate off a 21r corona and suited to a subaru starter which is anti clockwise so no modifcation was needed to fit it to the winch it spun the right way when i geared it to the 5:1 ratio and is very quick would be stronger on 10:1 but my boat is 6.4 and 5:1 pulls excellent

bros hey mate i know what you are saying but its fact the what is cheap is cheap and do not last long tried all that and when loaded up just got hot and cooked the motor and i got out of making mine for $120 and im very happy with the result.

cheers justin

guysk what is a ring gear,

i have use a windscreen wiper to run a spit witha 40kg calf

mate a ring gear on flywheel(manual) or flex plate(auto) is what the starter motor in your car drives to turn over the vehicle

Do the starter motors still throw out to the ring gear,or are they permanently on the gear.
    David