Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Awoonga " No barra there mate!"

Re: Awoonga " No barra there mate!"

I've no idea why i read this post, it makes me sick how you blokes can have so much fun !!!!! Well done once again Chris

Mark

PS 1st barra session school holidays september fingers X

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-P View Post
    I've no idea why i read this post, it makes me sick how you blokes can have so much fun !!!!! Well done once again Chris

Mark

PS 1st barra session school holidays september fingers X
    Fun it was Mark ...... despite conditions that saw most boaties off the water ( lots left the park) ..... & gave us a wet ass.

Hopefully Sept will be kind to you ..... but I'm guessing that crowds will be big ( school Hols)

Chris

We fished for 40+ hours from Friday to Sunday for 1 barra and a dozen or so catties (you know its bad when you remember how many catties were caught!) we even managed to drop a cattie over the back of the boat and puncture the fuel line with its dorsal spike

Admittedly we didnt spend near enough time in the right areas, as my crew prefered to fish in the nice comfortable sheltered areas much to my protest, but they had the majority rule and untill it was bleedingly obvious that we were flogging a dead horse we persisted with the calm water. A move to the other side of the lake saw a lean 103cm barra boated much to our relief.

But fishing aside, we had a great weekend and I cant wait to go back again.

BTW how did your hornet perform in that short, sharp chop? we got quite wet a few times in my 445.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mikooh View Post
    We fished for 40+ hours from Friday to Sunday for 1 barra and a dozen or so catties (you know its bad when you remember how many catties were caught!) we even managed to drop a cattie over the back of the boat and puncture the fuel line with its dorsal spike

Admittedly we didnt spend near enough time in the right areas, as my crew prefered to fish in the nice comfortable sheltered areas much to my protest, but they had the majority rule and untill it was bleedingly obvious that we were flogging a dead horse we persisted with the calm water. A move to the other side of the lake saw a lean 103cm barra boated much to our relief.

But fishing aside, we had a great weekend and I cant wait to go back again.

BTW how did your hornet perform in that short, sharp chop? we got quite wet a few times in my 445.

Mick
    Mick ..... Its pretty hard not to get wet in those conditions ..( rather than drive straight to our destination .... we would go across first & run hard either directly into or with the wind) ... But We just put up with it .... As you would dry out fairly quickly.
    We landed 1 catfish only ( 50+ barra) in 115 ( man hours) ...... not bad, hey?
    I'm glad you still enjoyed it ..... a 103 will do that to you

Cheers

Chris

I dont know if Its those few moments of pandamonium when the braid is singing off your reel as you dance around the boat and try to turn the head of a big girl, or the bone jarring strikes which leave upsized trebles straigtened and leaders chaffed before you know what has happened, but there is something terribly addictive about those Awoonga barra that keeps me going back again and again and again...
    As for your effort, 50+ fish on your first attempt is something special on any freshwater impoundment! congratulations and may there be many meterys to come.

Now back to work justifying the next extra long weekend to gladstone...

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mikooh View Post
    I dont know if Its those few moments of pandamonium when the braid is singing off your reel as you dance around the boat and try to turn the head of a big girl, or the bone jarring strikes which leave upsized trebles straigtened and leaders chaffed before you know what has happened, but there is something terribly addictive about those Awoonga barra that keeps me going back again and again and again...
    As for your effort, 50+ fish on your first attempt is something special on any freshwater impoundment! congratulations and may there be many meterys to come.

Now back to work justifying the next extra long weekend to gladstone...

Mick
    Mick .... For me its the strike! (when you are casting ) There is just so much power & aggression there! ...... combine that with the territory (structure) & you are in for a fight.
    I gotta say ...... catching them on slick rigs is something special ( once you master the the quick strike that is required) ..... You miss a lot ( I would have missed another 30 or so) ..... but we never lost a fish to hooks bending.
    The 50+ fish was the boat tally ....... so we can't claim them all ( Trev 20+) But a very pleasing result for the two of us!
    I'm glad I have 5 days at home to recuperate ...... I'm still knackered

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Now your talking!
    Playing whats in front of you rather than bitching about how bad the weather is is how fish are caught, not by fan dangled tricks that confuse the hell outta ya!

Its a message I have been pushing since I got on this site, but 95% look past it searching for the golden egg, even with the amount of posts I have done on the subject.
    Bad weather is in the eye of the beholder, I love windy crappy conditions espeacially in comps, it stuffs with competitors minds and most are beat before even starting!
    Fishing is 70% mental, 20% effort and 10% skill I reckon.

Fish are fish, and are found where they will be!
    Good report mate
    Cheers
    Jas
    Looks like people are listening now jas!
    ive been printing out your posts and rekon ive got a book almost.
    i liked your post nagg looks like you hasd fun and learnd lots from these guys
    purcho

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Now your talking!
    Playing whats in front of you rather than bitching about how bad the weather is is how fish are caught, not by fan dangled tricks that confuse the hell outta ya!

Its a message I have been pushing since I got on this site, but 95% look past it searching for the golden egg, even with the amount of posts I have done on the subject.
    Bad weather is in the eye of the beholder, I love windy crappy conditions espeacially in comps, it stuffs with competitors minds and most are beat before even starting!
    Fishing is 70% mental, 20% effort and 10% skill I reckon.

Fish are fish, and are found where they will be!
    Good report mate
    Cheers
    Jas
    The Fishing DVD #4 ...... ... with you & your mate Starlo , Probably my most watched fishing DVD! ...... It certainly helped a fair bit with my mental approach & attitude....... It gave me the faith to take up the offer to fish Awoonga with "Awoonga" in very blowy conditions.

Nagg

can someone plese tell me what this fishing dvd #4 is called and wher can i get a copy?
    purcho

Quote Originally Posted by two fold View Post
    can someone plese tell me what this fishing dvd #4 is called and wher can i get a copy?
    purcho
    Just that " The Fishing DVD" Volume 4 ..... You can usually get it through BCF ( backcopy)

Or you can contact Offshore productions ph 07 5455 6411

Nagg

Dont do it to yourself Purcho.......DONT WATCH IT........

.........You reckon reading Nagg's report was bad enough ....wait until you watch......JUST CANT PACK YOU BAG QUICK ENOUGH!!!

Spinal surgery recouperation - some idiot found these DVD's for me to watch while I was flat on my back for weeks.........bad enough not being out there fishing..but the punishment of WATCHING someone else do it was too much

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    Dont do it to yourself Purcho.......DONT WATCH IT........

.........You reckon reading Nagg's report was bad enough ....wait until you watch......JUST CANT PACK YOU BAG QUICK ENOUGH!!!

Spinal surgery recouperation - some idiot found these DVD's for me to watch while I was flat on my back for weeks.........bad enough not being out there fishing..but the punishment of WATCHING someone else do it was too much

Just remember ..... you can apply these tactics to other impoundments too

Nagg

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Thats enough out of you Chris... it kinda rained...somewhat...But that little lady...{ Didnt put her on the mat } would have been good on Fly
    Sorry Trev ......Attachment 23483 That girl requires another pic ( whats the guess on the length ???) ........ To see her jump from 150M away ... I knew you were onto a cracker! .............. i'm glad I had the camera in my pocket

Well done Trev again

Chris

Gidday Nagg

Only just caught up with all the action after a week or so away from the 'puter.

Fantastic trip mate. Even your Monduran trip must have been special in preparing you for such a different fishery as Awoonga presents. Also pays to keep an open mind to new techniques/styles/presentations which you obviously did. We never stop learning eh.

And good onya Trev for putting the boys onto quality numbers of fish. Don't blame them for kicking you out of the boat though

Well done guys

Cheers
    Paul

Yes Great read Nagg, I've lived in Gladstone my whole life and I've only just realised how lucky I am to have such an amazing fishery so close and start to work towards taking advantage of it. I'm yet to do much casting there as I'm limited to going with a mate at the moment (no boat) who is a trolling fanatic ( I hate it) and also one for not changing his ways. So stories like these serve well to keep me reading and learning until I get my boat in the next couple of months. Also the fishing dvd #6 has Starlo and Jason Wilhelm again, this time fishing squidgies at awoonga in the middle of winter sometime.
    Great to see members of the forum working together to help other members make the most of their trips.

Look forward to the next one
    cheers Tim

by the way I bought both the dvds straight off the shelf at our bcf so you may get lucky if you go and have a look.
    Last edited by Tim_08; 26-03-2008 at 04:55 PM.