Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Suzuki DF140 engine interface

Help with Suzuki DF140 engine interface

Need assistance.
    I have a new Suzuki DF 140 that I want to connect a Suzuki engine interface to my Lowrance LCX 27C.

I had a Suzuki 115 that I had the interface connected to and it worked fine with the LCX27C. I got the K8 adapter to connect it to the 140 but it wont work.

Would appreciate advice

regards

Blackarrow
    Last edited by BlackArrow; 20-03-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Highlight title

Re: Help with Suzuki DF140 engine interface

n't help you, but you might find some help on a US site "the hull truth"

how have you connected the adaptor?

I finally have my adaptor but was given the wrong advise and now have to wait for an extension cable .

But I spoke through my dealer to suzuki on Wednesday and this is how the connection should work.

On top of the electrical box on the left hand side of the engine (passenger side), there is a small square connection plug. this is where the conversion cable should be connected.

then connect the ep20 into the round socket on the conversion cable, then the EP20 gets plugged into a t connector, which is connected to your nmea 2000 backbone cable.

Make sure that both ends of the backbone have a terminator on them. when I get some time later today I will post a couple of photos.

regards
    Honda.

Now Im getting sick of this,

I have waited weeks for the conversion plug to arrive now it has the wrong connection on it.

Honda

what will this interface get you on your gps i have a 7200c what kind of data will i get, where do you get it from and how much for a 2007 140 suzuki thanks,

skipalong,

Engine Trim
    Engine RPM
    Alternator Volts
    Fuel Rate (gallons per hr) in real time
    Fuel used total ( 1 or 2 tank capabilities)
    Fuel Used Trip
    Intake Air Temp
    Cyl. Temp
    Manifold Pressure
    Enginne Barometric Pressure
    Engine Hrs(total on motor)

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...60#post1506960

Regards
    HOnda

are these available in australia yet? where from suzuki or lowrance

Honda 900 don't dispair, I've got mine working. I will need to take some photos tomorrow to explain it easily and when I work out how to put the phots on here I will give you the instructions.
    Mine works a treat.
    regards
    Blackarrow

Skipalong,

Last time I checked with the dealer these converters were still not available in australia, I ordered my from the states, however I do know that trymax marine are due to get some in next week.

Regards
    HOnda

Honda 900

I am having trouble uploading the file to this forum do you want to send me your email address and I will forward to you.

my email is

ewlr@internode.on.net

regards BlackArrow

Honda900

Here are the instructions – read them in conjunction with the photos below

990C0-88011
    Suzuki Modular Instrument System Engine Interface
    Suzuki DF40 thru DF300 Engine Interface
    Price: USD$104.95

990C0-88035
    SMIS Adapter Harness
    Allows connection to 2008 & newer DF40 thru DF250 outboards
    Price: USD$26.20

Above available from Browns Point Marine Service
    1703 Hwy 35 South
    Laurence Harbor, NJ 08879 USA

http://store.brownspoint.com/suzuki_page_31.asp

1. Unplug the black connector and replace it with the grey connector put the black rubber cover over the black connector and replace were grey connector was mounted.

2 & 3. Behind the Tacho are 2 white plugs unplug the square one and replace it with the SMIS adapter plug.

4. These are the readouts taken from a Suzuki DF140

I have not bothered to hook up the trim indicator and I haven’t looked for the connector but it would be nearby the gauges/control box.

There is one disadvantage to connecting the interface that is that the red indicator warning lights on the Tacho will not work, the audible warnings are still there.

I am going to make a bridge wire so the warning lights will work.

My fuel management is accurate to 3 litres without changing the calibration I hope to get it spot on after a while. Trouble is you have to measure the fuel out because you can’t rely on the fuel pumps calibration which probably works well within the fuel company’s favour.

If you require further assistance contact me.

Regards

BlackArrow

Skipalong,

The kits are available now in Australia from Navico, the challenge is finding a dealer that actually knows about them.

Graham Barklay Marine in Forster, NSW helped me out with getting the cable for my DF140, mine is a K7 version. If you contact Haines Group Service Dept, they can confirm whether you need a K7 or K8 cable as some of the late 2007 motors actual have the smaller K8 plug.

Any Lowrance dealer with a clever tech guy should be able to help.

Steve.

PS - Anyone know how / what tricks I need to get the trim guage working on a K7?? Circuit OK through the trip switch so am thinking I need a bridge to power it up but neither Haines nor Navico have any idea's??

Blackarrow,

Thats the way George explained it to me as well, I am concerned about the disconnection of the warning lamps in the dash as these are the only way you can tell if you have a problem.

I spoke to my dealer thursday who rang suzuki, Suzuki advised that I should be able to plug the cable directly into the grey connector therefore getting both sets of data in parrallel, one to the tacho lamps and one to the nmea network.

Question will suzuki still honour a warranty claim in this configuration? with the warning lamps disabled.

Thanks for the photos, the black connector was the peice of the puzzle that I didnt understand.

Does anyone know what the 4 pin grey connector is called? want to see if I can a converter or replacement male plug.

Regards
    Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post
    Blackarrow,

Thats the way George explained it to me as well, I am concerned about the disconnection of the warning lamps in the dash as these are the only way you can tell if you have a problem.

I spoke to my dealer thursday who rang suzuki, Suzuki advised that I should be able to plug the cable directly into the grey connector therefore getting both sets of data in parrallel, one to the tacho lamps and one to the nmea network.

Question will suzuki still honour a warranty claim in this configuration? with the warning lamps disabled.

Thanks for the photos, the black connector was the peice of the puzzle that I didnt understand.

Does anyone know what the 4 pin grey connector is called? want to see if I can a converter or replacement male plug.

Regards
    Honda.
    Are you sure your warning lights are disabled? Mine all work. It should not affect the guages at all as the NMEA cable is plugged into you diagnostic port. The only guage you will lose is the trim guage if you decide to run it through the interface. And are you sure you get cylinder temps etc...?

I spoke to suzuki Australia yesterday, to get some clarification on the procedure.

they advised that when you disconnect the black cable at the engine you disable the warning lights in the Tacho, which can have a direct impact to your warranty.

They have been advising people to cut off the end of the interface adaptor cable and replace it with a male fitting, called a doitz plug?? not sure on this but was advised that it is a standard yamaha spare part.

Once the plug is fitted the cable can be plugged directly into the grey connector on the fuse box and plugged into the NMEA network, giving you both sets of data in parrallel.

The americans are having the same problem;

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...77308&posts=15

Will visit a Yam dealer today to sort out if I can get the male plug.

Regards
    HOnda