Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBIIIIIIGGGG Fish

BBIIIIIIGGGG Fish

Had this emailed to me today This Sturgeon was caught on the Willamette River just below Oregon City two weeks ago. It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs and measured out
    at 11'1". It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking turns at the reeling it in.
    Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water.
    They are brood / breeding stock and probably older than most of us.
    Last edited by Mad-One; 23-05-2008 at 09:38 AM.
    Grow old disgracefully

Re: BBIIIIIIGGGG Fish

crikey! dats BIG!

Saw a show on Fox about those Sturgeon, the numbers are in real danger from over Poaching

That's a massive fish,probably more than 4 dozen beers trying to reel in that beast
    Regards
    Dylan

Have a look at http://www.nwfish.com/Sturgeon/sturgeon_fisheries.htm

"A 1000 pound sturgeon is not all that rare here - we catch several each year that size or bigger on the Columbia and Willamette rivers. Last years big fish was over 13 feet estimated at 1200 pounds or more. Our average oversized sturgeon weighs 300 - 500 lbs and we catch 3-5 a day on average.

mike

awesome fish.

that picture has been on the net for years, someones pulling ur leg about the date, but still its a big fish!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

That's a great fish but to tell you the truth, I don't think I would want to catch one of them. It would be like chopping down an ancient redwood tree, shooting a bald eagle, or targeting lung fish (to use a species you Aussies are more familiar with).

Just seems kind of "wrong" to me. I don't really even think of those sturgeon as "fish." Especially when they are as old as that one must be. They seem more like dinosaurs or something.

Just my opinion.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Been cropping up a few times with a few different versions. First posted in 2006 according to this site

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/giant-sturgeon.html

Now here's a big one

Cheers Freeeedom
    Last edited by Freeeedom; 20-03-2008 at 05:18 AM.

What an amazing animal.
    Hey El Carpo, are they known as diamond back sturgeon ?
    It's good to see they have that no keep rule when they reach 5 ft and over, something this mighty has to be looked after.

I have been led to believe they make caviar from Sturgeon eggs, is that correct ?
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez View Post
    I have been led to believe they make caviar from Sturgeon eggs, is that correct ?
    Absolutely - that's why the sturgeons are becoming endangered throughout eastern Europe and Asia, despite belated efforts to protect them. When you are targeting the breeding females for a product you can't expect the population to remain stable or increase. That's also why peasants like me (and you?) eat lumpfish roe, dyed black or red, and call it 'caviar'. I've never seen true caviar in the shops. The most highly prized 'beluga caviar' comes from a sturgeon from the Caspian Sea. It sells for more then $5000 per kilo in the USA.
    Cheers Freeeedom

What a fish story.

In about 1968 my Dad hooked something in the Columbia river in Washington State in the mouth of a little creek............I can remember the boat being dragged up the creek until it hit bottom. I'm not saying it was a Sturgeon but...............

It broke the line after about an hours fight.
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Yeah, I read about those might Surgeons! How can you catch those beautiful fish as you say "it's like shooting a dinosaur"?

Cheers Tom