Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't need VHF radio licence

Re: Don't need VHF radio licence

Quote Originally Posted by QF3 MROCP View Post
    Geoff: send SUBZONE a PM and get on his course. He's in your area.

Peter
    I think you mean subzero (Lloyd)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dog View Post
    I think you mean subzero (Lloyd)
    glad someone is awake... it was a long day.. as will this weekend with midnight to 06:00 radio watch

Was out on the water today, as usual had the vhf on 16 and the 27 meg on 88, and some retard started playing music on 88. Another reason whay a licence is ideal IMO

Can a passenger using the VHF be fined for calling for help if the certified operator is injured and unable to use the VHF.

Quote Originally Posted by midcoast learner View Post
    Can a passenger using the VHF be fined for calling for help if the certified operator is injured and unable to use the VHF.
    No. You have always been able to use it in an emergency
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

So when you are checked offshore by water police for safety gear - do they also check you have the required radio certificate ??

Subzero (Lloyd) isn't doing the courses anymore,someone else from Viccy point VMR has taken over.

Cheers Dazza

I think some of the confusion is in the detail, and the use of the words.

The VHF radios at a time in the past were individually licenced under "Aparatus licences" as was just about every thing else including, radio microphones, CB radios and your radio and TV recievers at home.

Aparatus licencing has pretty well gone by the board except for specific uses.......The concept of a "Class Licence" was introduced in the late 70's early 80's I think.
    This allows the use under certain conditions of day to day radio transmitting and recieving equipment.

BUT, those class licences do have conditions of use.

CB and marine 27meg and VHF marine operate under class licences, there is no longer any Aparatus licences, fees, applications or registering of most equipment.

All land bassed marine radio installations must still be licenced and you must have a valid reason..all the VMR installations are individually licenced and are alocated call signs, likewise places like tug boat and trawler basses.

you can not legally use marine radios on land unless they are specificaly involved in the launching or retreeving marine craft...unless you are specificaly licenced to do so.

But all this is covered in the marine radio courses.

On the matter of UHF CB.....I have not read the class licence for that, but it is intended for land bassed communication, so it would not surprise me if there is a funny clause in the licence prohibiting or restricting the use of UHF CB at sea.

Remember there are UHF radio systems used at sea, but they are generally not publicly accessable.

cheers

One of those conditions of use is that to operate VHF marine radio you must hold an appropriate certificate of proficiency.

The certificate is not a licence.
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    So when you are checked offshore by water police for safety gear - do they also check you have the required radio certificate ??

Anyone ???

I doubt it gunna..would not worry about it. They don't even check if you have a license to drive the boat.

I've had them ask if I have a licence to drive a boat......I doubt that they would ask about a radio certifcate....for two reasons.

1. because the radio is not a required item of safety equipment.

2. because radio licencing is a commonwealth matter.

The only time I recon the state police would have something to say about radio matters would be if it was causing some sort of neucance or recless endangerment or was part of some sort of criminal act.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Anyone ???
    Yes, they can and sometimes do, I am not too sure why such a simple thing can go for three pages, it is pretty clear, that you need a "licence" whether you call it an MROP or anything else, and of course if there is a genuine emergency, a passenger or not certified person can use your radio if you are not able to!

My wife & I did the MROCP course with Noosa Coastguard a year or so ago, & we were told quite categorically by the Coastguard the main reason you need to have it is for insurance purposes. If you have a marine incident, where damage, injury or loss of life occurs, & you do not have the MROCP, you will not be covered by insurance.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    My wife & I did the MROCP course with Noosa Coastguard a year or so ago, & we were told quite categorically by the Coastguard the main reason you need to have it is for insurance purposes. If you have a marine incident, where damage, injury or loss of life occurs, & you do not have the MROCP, you will not be covered by insurance.
    Tony
    nope, quite wrong that bit. The radio licence is a requirement by the relevant authorities, nothing to do with insurance companies, it is in pretty plain English if you care to read it.

NoelM,
    As I said, we were given that info by Coastguard. I did not clarify by saying they were right or wrong, as I don't know, just that this was Coastguard Noosa's slant on it. More than likely it was just one individual with that idea, but as an instructor he is obviously perpetuating that concept in his students minds.
    Tony