Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Don't need VHF radio licence

Re: Don't need VHF radio licence

I never did get around to learning that new stuff well.

Hi ALL
    I thought i was confused before now i am totaly confused i will ring those idiots at Australian Communation & Media authority on monday .

Quote Originally Posted by sheridan View Post
    Hi ALL
    I thought i was confused before now i am totaly confused i will ring those idiots at Australian Communation & Media authority on monday .
    Hi ALL,
    Should we introduce Sheridan to VHF DSC - well that needs registration for a MMSI to operate, just like the 406 EPIRB

A couple of posts from the ACMA website:

What is a certificate of proficiency?

A certificate of proficiency attests that the holder has the skill to operate certain types of radios.
    Currently, five different certificates of proficiency and one certificate of endorsement are issued to operators of marine radios. They are:
    • Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP)
    • Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP)
    • Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) General Operators Certificate of Proficiency (GOCP)
    • GMDSS First-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (1st-Class REC)
    • GMDSS Second-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (2nd-Class REC) and
    • Marine Satellite Communications Certificate of Endorsement (Satcom).
    What qualification do I need to operate the radio on my vessel?

The qualification you need depends on the type of equipment carried on your vessel (see table below).
    Equipment carried on vessel
    Minimum operator qualification
    VHF, MF/HF and Inmarsat satellite radiocommunications equipment fitted in accordance with the requirement of the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Convention and the Australian Navigation Act 1912
    GOCP

VHF marine radiotelephony ONLY*

MROCP or MROVCP

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_1743

The following relates to the licensing of the radio itself:

Licensing of ship and coast stations

Class licences authorise the operation of a number of devices commonly used on vessels. These include:
    • 27 MHz and VHF marine radio equipment;
    • mobile and satellite phones;
    • Inmarsat communications equipment;
    • marine radar;
    • low power on-board UHF equipment;
    • EPIRBs; and
    • Citizens Band (CB) radio equipment.
    Class licences are open, standing authorities that allow anyone to operate particular radiocommunications equipment provided that the operation and the device are in keeping with the condition of the licence. Class licences do not have to be applied for and no licence fees are payable. If any condition of licence is breached (for example, operating on a frequency not mentioned in the Class Licence), the operator is no longer authorised to operate under the Class Licence. In this instance, the operator would be liable for prosecution.
    Individual apparatus licences from ACMA are required for vessels carrying MF/HF marine radio equipment (Maritime ship licence - Ship Station Class B), trading vessels under Commonwealth survey (Maritime Ship licence - Ship Station Class C) and all coast stations. Applicants for individual ship and coast station licences should complete an Application for apparatus licence(s) form (R057) and, for assigned stations, the Additional station information form (R077). Licence fees should be included with the licence application.

Operator qualifications

VHF and MF/HF marine radio equipment and Inmarsat (A, B, C) Satellite communications equipment carried on board a vessel must be under the control of a qualified operator at all times. All coast stations must also be under the control of a qualified operator.
    Most operators choose to obtain a Marine Radio Operators Certificate of Proficiency (MROCP), which covers the operation of both VHF and MF/HF equipment. The Marine Radio Operators VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP) has a somewhat simpler syllabus, but only covers the operation of VHF equipment. The Marine Satellite Communications Certificate of Endorsement (Satellite Endorsement) may be added to either the MROCP or the MROVCP if use of Inmarsat equipment is required.

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_2749

So in a nutshell...... The apparatus (the radio) doesn't need to be separately licensed. (Just like you don't need a license for your TV anymore). It is covered by a blanket agreement (class licence) between operators and the governing authority (ACMA)

The terms of the agreement for the class license are that the operator of the apparatus MUST be appropriately qualified. (See qualifications above) Or else the class license doesn't apply to that operator. IE you're not allowed to operate the equipment.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

I agree with OH GEE, have had an amateur licence since the 80.s, vk2cgl. But found the vhf course excellent.

Used to enjoy cw a lot and used it on 80 mtrs of a night....back when valves were popular watching them glow as u tuned em up.

This debate will never be settled...people that don;t have a 'Certificate of Proficiency' won't others to tell them they don't need one for piece of mind......do the course if you want to....don;t do it if you don't want to....stop trying to settle your guilt about using the VHF radio by getting someone else to say you can use it in a non-emergency situation....

Sorry but two reasons I did the course, for me ........ and secondly because it is the law to use one. Settling my guilt didn't come into it, put the radio in the boat and wanted to learn how to get the "most" from it. Not into guilt trips for anyone else who hasn't ................

Last post for me on this thread.........

We work 5 days to enjoy 2 with the kids and fishing, enjoy

Gaz

Question Re: Don't need VHF radio licence

Hi ALL

How did the phone call go with ACMA?

Have been very busy this week havn't realy thought about it received a letter on monday from mainroads saying they may resume our home for the new pacific motorway and bikeway between Daisy Hill and Loganholme . Have had meetings with them supposed to have another today but they canceled until next tuesday.
    Just finished work 2weeks ago had my long service up taking 10 weeks off to renevate, paint and render our home great timing will have to see what happens. Will try to ring ACMA tomorow.
    I don't have a guilt trip nor have i used the VHF radio in my boat i put information i was given by ACMA and asked for your oppinions as i too agreed you need a licence/certificate of compentancy .

Geoff

.....received a letter on monday from mainroads saying they may resume our home for the new pacific motorway and bikeway between Daisy Hill and Loganholme . Have had meetings with them supposed to have another today but they canceled until next tuesday.
    Just finished work 2weeks ago had my long service up taking 10 weeks off to renevate, paint and render our home great timing will have to see what happens. ......

Geoff

Jeez, that's the rough end of the pineapple.

I hope they give you a decent price for your home if they do happen to take it.

Hi all again
    Rang ACMA again today spoke to someone different they comfirmed you need a certificate of compentancy to use a marine VHF radio And also my 40 channel UHF handheld radio if used on the water but not if used on land.They did say it should have been explained better the first time i rang.Will be doing a course soon as one is available with in a reasonable distance to home

Geoff

UHF CB TOO?? Far out.... more study to do on the class licence!!
    Off the cuff, the UHF CB thing is bullshit!???

YEA Simmo2
    Told them i was going to use my UHF in the logan and down the pin to talk to my mate in his boat they said once i was on water i would need a certificate of compentancy funny thing is they said we can't tell you you have to get one only recommend you do as we cannot monitor it

Geoff

Geoff: send SUBZONE a PM and get on his course. He's in your area.

Peter

Just a thought if i was standing on one bank of the logan river and my mate was on the other bank on the other side we can use a uhf radio legally to talk to each other but two boats between us cannot without a certificate of compentancy because they are on the water HOW STUPID

Geoff