Thread: Best baitcasting rod..

Best baitcasting rod..

Hi all,

I just got a brand new Shimano Calcutta TE 300 Conquest (ordered & delivered from the USA for spot on AU$400). I'll be loading it up with YGK Ultra Jig Man x8 44lb Dyneema line from Japan. Just now I'm working overseas and there happens to be no tackle shops in my area (Middle East).

I am getting some ideas and accumulating some lures & tackle etc in preparation for my return to Oz and more importantly the mid year fishing trip I have planned to PNG (Suki Creek, off the Fly River). We'll be targeting PNG Black Bass & Barra.

Someone suggested that a Shimano T-curve 8-10kg would be the best match for Conquest 300. A GL Loomis has also been suggested but I can't remember the model. I usually like the 5' 6" baitcasters but have used a 6" Bass Prop Shops one before. I've also tried a Penn Pinpoint & Shakespeare Ugly stick with some success when matched up to other reels.

So has anyone got any recommendations about the "best" kind of baitcaster for the 300 reel? Even though PNG Black Bass are involved I want to avoid stiff chunky rods with 20kg ratings - that's over doing it.

I'd be after something with medium to heavy action with around an 8-10kg rating; strong & flexible as well as fairly light as on my PNG trip we'll be casting all day everyday for eight days straight.

Budget??? Two scenarios as follows:

1) Imagine that money is no problem. The best baitcaster available - any cost!
    2) Up to AU$450 or so for something pretty sh--t hot!

I'd appreciate a few suggestions so that I have a starting point for when I get back to Oz. Then I'll be champing at the bit to sprint to the nearest tackle outlet to start checking out gear..!

By the way, if anyone is genuinely interested in an easy to arrange 'do-it-yourself' no-frills roughing it trip to PNG in a remote area to tackle barra & black bass, let me know and I can provide some info. Best season is April through to September...

Cheers...
    Last edited by PNG1M; 15-03-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adjusting budget
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Re: Best baitcasting rod..

I have one of those T-Curves and I think it would do the job. They are an amazing rod for the price. A nice light tip and plenty of grunt lower in the blank. Plenty of other options available as you open the wallet wider

Cheers

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

G'day,
    Check out the EGrell designs rods they're supposed to be great stuff. As a bonus they're made here by a guy that's a real craftsman (that'd be Eric) from what I've seen of his rods, and from all reports. He is actually a member of this site (TheBear) so why don't you drop him a private message with all the details of what you require I'm sure he'll be more than happy to assist you.

Take care

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for that idea...I've heard about the Egrell and read a report from someone who owned one. Sounded really good. I'll drop 'The Bear a message to see what he reckons.

Cheers...

The best baitcaster rod when money is of no objection : Evergreen .

http://www.evergreen-fishing.com/

I have a TFXC-68MH The Stallion which I pair with Conquest 201DC filled with PE3 braid and find a sweet combination .

Check this site for baitcasting outfit , there are a few articles in the Review archives ;

http://www.tackletour.com/

JonLi .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

Very hard to go past the T-curve, i just purchased one recently and looked at a wide variety of rods and the only rods that came close were the egrell and the loomis as you mentioned, but at over $150 more i couldn't justify it. Its a great blank feels like a bass rod but with enough power to pull the plug out of the bottom.

Thats my cents 2 cent worth
    Cheers Chris

samurai nv7 blanks. gary howard makes these rods up. light as a feather. rated to 8 kg and it will pull stumps off the bottom. about $350.00 mark custom built

Mate, I've got a GLoomis GL3 baitcaster. Model # CR665, it's 5'6"long, heavy fast action and rated to 25lb.
    I've got it matched with a Daiwa Zillion, have two spools, one loaded with 30 and the other 50lb braid.
    It's a beauty, I'd love to tangle with a Black Bass on it.
    I was tossing up between this rod or an Egrell but chose the Loomis as it was an easier purchase for me at the time.
    Couldn't be happier with my choice.

Jeff.

T-curve would probably be the go
    Regards
    Dylan

The Egrell B8-5 (original) would be perfect for your application. Its 8-12kg 5foot 8, and light enough to cast all day. It has enough power to pull any fish out of a snag. I have turned plenty of big barra at monduran with it.

I also, (as a dare), matched it with a calcutta 700 and went bottom bashing for red emporer off Bundy. It had enough grunt to turn and land 3 x 10kg reds with ease.

I reckon it would be awesome on the PNG black bass and would match up perfectly with the calcutta 300TE that your getting.

regards steve

Thanks Steve,

And thanks to the fello fishos who offered advice...much appreciated.

I've sussed out all the suggestions I received, did some research and the overall winner is the Egrell B8-5

I've contacted Fish Head tackle store at Victoria Point to discuss my order and at $465 the rod'll probably be well worth the investment.

After I test it out in PNG on the black bass & barra I'll try to knock up a bit of a review.

Cheers,
    png
    Last edited by PNG1M; 17-03-2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: forgot a thank you...

You could also look at the blue acres Lamiglas rods as well.IAN